INTERVIEW PREPARATION

RPCV Cameroon

Congrats on your interview.

Know your shit.  Prepare to talk about anything and everything in your SOP.  I ended up talking about theory more than anything else and it caught me off guard.  I felt like I was shooting from the hip the entire time.  Know it and be prepared to wing it a bit.  You may be entering uncharted territory. 

Make sure to google the person doing the interviewing. Know what they are currently researching and how you fit into that. Also have 3-5 questions planned ahead of time so it's not awkward when they ask if you have any questions.

Edited by anthropologygeek

Make sure to clean up the area behind you that'll be visible on screen. Also, it's very important that if you mention any research centers at the university or project sites where faculty are working that you get the names right. 

I think the LSE one is pretty good, the CNJ page is a little over the top and provides so many details that you're likely to get lost in them. Both convey the general point, though, that what you're doing in an interview is confirming that you are intellectually mature and serious, that you know what you're getting yourself into and have well-articulated reasons for doing so, and that you're not a completely intolerable asshole. When it comes down to it, those are the three main criteria for admission to grad school. 

thank you for starting the tread. Reading the answers you got, I have indirectly received good tips :D Anyone has any advice for a ppt? What should I include and what shouldnt I ? 

thank you for starting the tread. Reading the answers you got, I have indirectly received good tips :D Anyone has any advice for a ppt? What should I include and what shouldnt I ? 

Is there a topic?  Any guidelines?  I won't know the answer to your questions, but I am curious!

Hey RPCV Cameroon, I just finished an interview and thought I'd share some thoughts with you - it comes down to 3 things all of which have been mentioned before I think. Number one - know your own interests and goals and know exactly how and why the school you are applying to fits you. Number two - be yourself! Judging by the picture and your posts you are energetic, positive and ready to do this so let them know that (or all the other things that make you YOU). And number three - have some questions ready to ask them. The answers I got gave me a pretty good insight into the school and I am now even more excited about their program and am hoping/praying/cursing/willing/asking for them to accept me.. haha! So these are my two cent... GOOD LUCK

Hey RPCV Cameroon, I just finished an interview and thought I'd share some thoughts with you - it comes down to 3 things all of which have been mentioned before I think. Number one - know your own interests and goals and know exactly how and why the school you are applying to fits you. Number two - be yourself! Judging by the picture and your posts you are energetic, positive and ready to do this so let them know that (or all the other things that make you YOU). And number three - have some questions ready to ask them. The answers I got gave me a pretty good insight into the school and I am now even more excited about their program and am hoping/praying/cursing/willing/asking for them to accept me.. haha! So these are my two cent... GOOD LUCK

Good tips -- thanks!

Is it appropriate to ask questions about funding and lifestyle at this point in the game, or is it better to focus on questions about research and the program itself?

I'm not sure. From what I have heard it is okay to do so but I didn't because it felt weird to me at this stage. Personally, I think it's good to have an offer before sussing out such details. I was focusing more on academic things and opportunities.

So, it happened, and it went well.  The lady was pleasant, she wasn't green, she didn't have a tail...   It wasn't nearly as terrifying as I'd imagined.   ;)

She asked about my proposed project and why I chose it, why I was looking to move to anthropology (from psych), and how I felt about taking on a whole new discipline.  Come to think of it, she didn't ask why I applied there, but I made it pretty clear in my statement, I think the connection is obvious, and I had already communicated with everyone whose work was relevant to my ideas, so it wasn't like I was popping out of nowhere.

She also gave me some good information about their goals for students and the program, clarified some requirements and some things about timing, and told me what the teaching responsibilities were generally about.  I had SO many other questions I wanted to ask...

What are some questions you guys have asked in past interviews?

For on-campus interviews------ what do you wear?? EEK. I have one this weekend and I don't want to be too formal or too informal. Also it's a full-day situation so I'm feeling like uncomfortable shoes (for me, heels of any kind) + campus tour = death 

Anyone have any ideas/advice on this one? 

For on-campus interviews------ what do you wear?? EEK. I have one this weekend and I don't want to be too formal or too informal. Also it's a full-day situation so I'm feeling like uncomfortable shoes (for me, heels of any kind) + campus tour = death 

Anyone have any ideas/advice on this one? 

Personally, I think it's best to dress up.  It can only make a good first impression.  How about a black or grey skirt (with tights) or black or grey pants, neutral flats, an unpatterned shirt (a color that looks good on you -  maybe something calming like blue or green), a blazer, and a necklace with earrings?   There are lots of comfy flats out there.   

I get all my stuff at thrift stores.  You can look bomb for less than $20!  ;)   Where's your interview?  Are you in a big city now?

Personally, I think it's best to dress up.  It can only make a good first impression.  How about a black or grey skirt (with tights) or black or grey pants, neutral flats, an unpatterned shirt (a color that looks good on you -  maybe something calming like blue or green), a blazer, and a necklace with earrings?   There are lots of comfy flats out there.   

I get all my stuff at thrift stores.  You can look bomb for less than $20!  ;)   Where's your interview?  Are you in a big city now?

That sounds like a good call, especially the flats. It's at Irvine, and they just sent us the schedule today. A lot of presentations, group interview (I'm in the first group of 3, yikes), and then a campus tour. I live in London so I can just run to Primark today or tomorrow/dig through my closet and put something together. Just don't want to show up overdressed and look like a jerk or underdressed and look like I don't care enough.....

Hello you guys! i just returned from the formal interview at Notre Dame. It was amazing! I got to meet potential students and past students . I had 6 interviews with separate faculty members and a presentation. The tip i have to give resulting in all of this is: You have to know how to present why you want to study anthropology in general- how it is relevant. Second, you have to present what you want to study in such a way, especially for those programs that are all about the 4 field approach, that it is clear how it connects with anthropology in general and why it is important.

Hello you guys! i just returned from the formal interview at Notre Dame. It was amazing! I got to meet potential students and past students . I had 6 interviews with separate faculty members and a presentation. The tip i have to give resulting in all of this is: You have to know how to present why you want to study anthropology in general- how it is relevant. Second, you have to present what you want to study in such a way, especially for those programs that are all about the 4 field approach, that it is clear how it connects with anthropology in general and why it is important.

I have an in person interview next week at my top choice - in the email I got from my POI, it basically said it would be a dinner with just her the night before, then a series of "meetings" the following day, touring the campus and the lab, and meeting current grad students. There was no mention of a presentation of any sort…do you think they might spring something like this on me? Like hey quick, present to us your MA thesis?

Unfortunately there is not much activity at all this year or the past year on the results search for this program, so I have no idea how many of us are interviewing, etc. 

I'm also wondering what you guys mean when you say "present" and "presentation" ... like, you're up in front of an audience?  I know Daisy mentioned a Power Point.   Speaking of which, did they give you guidelines/requirements for that, or just say, "Make us a Power Point!"

I'm ALSO wondering how "interview"-esque these interview visits are…. should I expect to be asked a lot of questions, or should I expect to do most of the question asking? I have had a Skype "interview" for another school that was basically just me and two POIs very informally chatting about my interests, their interests, and possible project ideas.

I do feel like academics use the term "interview" in a bit of a different way than in business or corporate arenas, and am just trying to be as prepared as I can. 

Congrats to everyone in this thread who has also received interview invites!!  :lol:

I have an in person interview next week at my top choice - in the email I got from my POI, it basically said it would be a dinner with just her the night before, then a series of "meetings" the following day, touring the campus and the lab, and meeting current grad students. There was no mention of a presentation of any sort…do you think they might spring something like this on me? Like hey quick, present to  us your MA thesis?

Unfortunately there is not much activity at all this year or the past year on the results search for this program, so I have no idea how many of us are interviewing, etc. 

Hey! NO i ,realllyyyyy dont think they are going to ask you to formally present something in a Power Point format without giving you a guideline first . Maybe they will there , but i don't think they can do that. let say you did not take your computer- what then? 

Having said that, I think you should be prepared to give a concise summery of what you are going to do, why , and why it is important. like...think of it as your interview question #1. Its one think to go onnn and onnn in writing, but verbalizing it is a different skill. 

Please keep us posted! I cant wait to hear your good news. 

I'm also wondering what you guys mean when you say "present" and "presentation" ... like, you're up in front of an audience?  I know Daisy mentioned a Power Point.   Speaking of which, did they give you guidelines/requirements for that, or just say, "Make us a Power Point!"

Hello there. I had guidelines, like a week before i was asked to do it. Very detailed too. The whole point was to present my topic in a way that appealed to the audience in an anthropological way, not just my topic/ area specific. How my study connected to the field as a whole. Why is it important? 

Hey! NO i ,realllyyyyy dont think they are going to ask you to formally present something in a Power Point format without giving you a guideline first . Maybe they will there , but i don't think they can do that. let say you did not take your computer- what then? 

Having said that, I think you should be prepared to give a concise summery of what you are going to do, why , and why it is important. like...think of it as your interview question #1. Its one think to go onnn and onnn in writing, but verbalizing it is a different skill. 

Please keep us posted! I cant wait to hear your good news. 

Thanks so much Daisy!! That's such a good point, it is always really easy for me to explain myself in writing but not so much verbally. I will definitely work on that. I hope I have good news to share when it's through! :)