INTERVIEW PREPARATION

RPCV Cameroon

Be prepared to ask them questions and to answer questions. Interviews are (or should be) a two-way street.

If they haven't put a presentation on your schedule or told you about one, then you won't be expected to give any sort of formal presentation. You should be prepared to discuss your research interests regardless.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody feel like they bombed an interview? I just had one and it went by so quickly...I don't think I gave the kind of answers the POI was looking for, and talked too much about the wrong things... I wish I could go back and do it over. 

Anybody feel like they bombed an interview? I just had one and it went by so quickly...I don't think I gave the kind of answers the POI was looking for, and talked too much about the wrong things... I wish I could go back and do it over. 

I had very mixed feelings about my skype interview with WUSTL.  I would go back and forth between it went okay so-so and I bombed it obsessing over minor details. Ultimately, they thought it went well because they are flying me down to meet the department in person.  I wouldn't worry about it too much.  It probably went much better than you think it did.  After my UCSB interview I was simply puzzled.  It went fast and I feel like I didnt say much that was substantial. A week or so later I was admitted into the program.  Your probably just over-thinking it.  In the off chance you actually bombed it it's too late to worry about it.  At this point I would simply sit back, relax and enjoy your intoxicant of choice. 

Just had an interview and not sure it went well AT ALL. Person interviewing me was not a POI, nor really in my subfield. They asked about FOUR different authors (with some relationship to my topic, but in terms of classics in linguistics and philosophy) and I hadn't read ANY OF THEMMMM. I tried at first to fudge it, and then I could tell it wasn't going to work so I just straight out was like, nope, haven't read them. I managed to redirect a few to related authors I have read, but I think it was clear that if he was looking for someone who knew those works, that person was not me. The only questions he asked were about authors I had not read! If it was possible to melt into a pile of embarrassed goo, I would have done it then.

It was almost like this person read through my thesis and picked the only authors not in my lit review. They had NO questions about anything in my application. Just about related literature. I had prepared for all these questions related to my proposal and NOTHING came up.

I mean, it was also a perfectly nice chat. Lots of encouragement about my topic being a fit and the committee being enthusiastic, but I also feel like I just blew an interview so spectacularly that actual fireworks were coming out of ears. 

It sounds like this person was a pretty terrible interviewer....... not sure how asking you about extremely specific authors (especially given that they were not your specific POI or anything) gives them insight into how you would fit their PhD program/your personality etc. Especially given that most people's proposals end up differing dramatically from their actual PhD research down the line! I'm sorry you had to go through that!! 

Edited by fiveby5

NOWAYNOHOW,

anyway you can reach the department and let them know your concerns?

Nah, I don't want to draw attention to what I see as a massive fuck up. My second interview (with a POI) for the same program went immensely well, so it is out of my hands now. The bad interviewer actually was the only person I have talked with who responded to my thank you (and it was relatively friendly I guess, or neutral), so who knows! 

oh god, i would have died. I think you win, just for the fact that you were able to hold your composure. I think this may have been like what they do at google? Ask you questions that you dont really have to answer correctly, but just to see how you think. In this case, just to see how you respond and handle yourself? 

Please keep us posted, i have been following your posts since last year. I am sending you allllll the best vibes i can muster. 

Coming from the land of job applications, I am used to sending weekly follow-ups after interviews. This has worked wonderfully for me in the past. I think this is expected in the professional job application process, but what about PhD interviews? I sent thank you notes to my interviewers the same day I interviewed, but have you been following up beyond those messages? 

One on hand, I see the importance of reiterating interest (if you are still interested) and staying in touch, but on the other I know that this process is unique and not quite as easy to navigate as job application processes. 

I don't think a weekly follow up is necessary, but 2 weeks? Thoughts?

Coming from the land of job applications, I am used to sending weekly follow-ups after interviews. This has worked wonderfully for me in the past. I think this is expected in the professional job application process, but what about PhD interviews? I sent thank you notes to my interviewers the same day I interviewed, but have you been following up beyond those messages? 

One on hand, I see the importance of reiterating interest (if you are still interested) and staying in touch, but on the other I know that this process is unique and not quite as easy to navigate as job application processes. 

I don't think a weekly follow up is necessary, but 2 weeks? Thoughts?

I think day-of follow-ups are good; I did precisely that when I had a PhD program interview this cycle. However, I'm not sure about follow-ups beyond that. If you have something to actually inform them of (i.e. upcoming deadlines or new offers) that you think they should be made aware of, and subsequently use that opportunity to reiterate your interest, I think that's appropriate. However, if they gave you a definite timeline for hearing back and there is nothing new to say, I think it might come across as unprofessional. 

I think day-of follow-ups are good; I did precisely that when I had a PhD program interview this cycle. However, I'm not sure about follow-ups beyond that. If you have something to actually inform them of (i.e. upcoming deadlines or new offers) that you think they should be made aware of, and subsequently use that opportunity to reiterate your interest, I think that's appropriate. However, if they gave you a definite timeline for hearing back and there is nothing new to say, I think it might come across as unprofessional. 

Sounds good. Thanks!