PhD in Industrial Engineering/Operations Research/Financial Engineering Fall 2015

paaji3

Keep in mind that this is second-hand information, but I've heard that Berkeley IEOR has been having funding issues recently. At other top programs, basically all PhD students have funding -- I don't think this has been the case at Berkeley the past few years. I have a friend who spent a year in Berkeley IEOR and really didn't enjoy it so he ended up transferring to a PhD program at another school. It's rather unfortunate because funding aside, I think Berkeley IEOR has a great reputation. Which other programs are you considering?

For my case, I recevied a fellowship for my first year of study and it says in the offer that PhD students who complete their first year successfully are normally offered for assistanship positions in the subsequent years. I heard that the Department has some funding problems in the past years, but I hope that I won't have to face with such a problem. However, aside from funding, I also heard that some students do not enjoy studying there, I wonder what is the reason behind it.

In addition to Berkeley, I am thinking of Georgia Tech. As far as I see, Georgia Tech PhD students are more active in research, and the faculty seems more interested in students. I am open to any comments for these two programs.

For my case, I recevied a fellowship for my first year of study and it says in the offer that PhD students who complete their first year successfully are normally offered for assistanship positions in the subsequent years. I heard that the Department has some funding problems in the past years, but I hope that I won't have to face with such a problem. However, aside from funding, I also heard that some students do not enjoy studying there, I wonder what is the reason behind it.

In addition to Berkeley, I am thinking of Georgia Tech. As far as I see, Georgia Tech PhD students are more active in research, and the faculty seems more interested in students. I am open to any comments for these two programs.

My friend who left Berkeley IEOR told me that desk space was allocated via a lottery type system, and there are not enough desks for all the students... Again, I don't have first-hand knowledge of the program, so hopefully a past/current student can chime in. 

As for Georgia Tech, I think their stipends have been shockingly low compared to other programs (albeit Atlanta has a cheaper cost of living compared to the cities where many other top programs are). I also heard (via faculty from my undergrad institution), that there have been some internal department politics causing issues in the program. I can't elaborate on that because I honestly don't know specifics of the situation, but maybe someone else who's more familiar with the program can provide more information to determine if it's actually a cause for concern.

Can you provide some more details about your specific research interests and other considerations that are important to you?

My current research interest is more on optimization side but not 100% sure. And I am thinking about to go to academia after graduation but this also could change.

As far as I have heard from professors at different university, Columbia, Cornell and Georgia Tech are on the same level in terms of operations research and Northwestern is not on the same tier.

I've done my undergraduate at Georgia Tech and I am not sure whether I should stay at the same school for another 5 years.

My current research interest is more on optimization side but not 100% sure. And I am thinking about to go to academia after graduation but this also could change.

As far as I have heard from professors at different university, Columbia, Cornell and Georgia Tech are on the same level in terms of operations research and Northwestern is not on the same tier.

I've done my undergraduate at Georgia Tech and I am not sure whether I should stay at the same school for another 5 years.

I agree with your tiers. I was in a similar position to you last year -- having to decide if I wanted to stay at my undergrad institution (although it is not as strong as Georgia Tech in OR) -- and chose not to stay. It's a tough call between Columbia and Cornell. I honestly think you'll have similar potential for success at either program, so you should consider specific faculty you'd like to work with. Furthermore, living in Ithaca is significantly different than living in NYC.

I agree with your tiers. I was in a similar position to you last year -- having to decide if I wanted to stay at my undergrad institution (although it is not as strong as Georgia Tech in OR) -- and chose not to stay. It's a tough call between Columbia and Cornell. I honestly think you'll have similar potential for success at either program, so you should consider specific faculty you'd like to work with. Furthermore, living in Ithaca is significantly different than living in NYC.

I just came back from Ithaca for campus visit. The life in Ithaca is totally different from NYC, but I'm kind of neutral to the location. One concern is will there be less opportunity since it is not convenient to go outside. Which school did you choose last year? And any advice on Cornell or Columbia?

I just came back from Ithaca for campus visit. The life in Ithaca is totally different from NYC, but I'm kind of neutral to the location. One concern is will there be less opportunity since it is not convenient to go outside. Which school did you choose last year? And any advice on Cornell or Columbia?

What do you mean by "not convenient to go outside"? Are you referring to travelling out of state? I'm at the Operations Research Center at MIT now.

As for Cornell/Columbia, I really don't think you can go wrong with either choice. Personally, I found Cornell more appealing when I visited last year, but I can see how living in Ithaca might be a huge turnoff for some people. 

What do you mean by "not convenient to go outside"? Are you referring to travelling out of state? I'm at the Operations Research Center at MIT now.

As for Cornell/Columbia, I really don't think you can go wrong with either choice. Personally, I found Cornell more appealing when I visited last year, but I can see how living in Ithaca might be a huge turnoff for some people. 

Ithaca is really an isolated place so I'm not sure if it's convenient to attend more conference or make more connection comparing to those big cities.

Ithaca is really an isolated place so I'm not sure if it's convenient to attend more conference or make more connection comparing to those big cities.

I can't really imagine a scenario where living in Ithaca would prevent you from attending conferences. To me, it's more of a lifestyle/environment factor as opposed to travel inconvenience. 

Dear friends,

Are you admitted to University of Michigan-Ann Arbor? I do not know when the decisions will be out, but I think they have sent all admission offers.  If you have received any news including acceptance, rejection or wail-listed, please let me know. I greatly appreciate your help.

Dear friends,

Are you admitted to University of Michigan-Ann Arbor? I do not know when the decisions will be out, but I think they have sent all admission offers.  If you have received any news including acceptance, rejection or wail-listed, please let me know. I greatly appreciate your help.

I had an interview with one of IOE faculty members. He said the result would come out until the end of March, but haven't heard any decision yet.

I had an interview with one of IOE faculty members. He said the result would come out until the end of March, but haven't heard any decision yet.

Please update your profile when you get admission.