No interview = no admission?

rock34

Hi,

I had a quick question regarding the admissions process for doctoral programs. I applied to a few programs for NT studies. For some, like Baylor, I haven't received any invitations to interview. Does that mean I'll eventually be rejected? Have any of you been admitted to a doctoral program without being interviewed, even though that program typically conducts interviews?

I'm sure every school is a little different, but I assume that if I did not get invited to interview, then I'll either be rejected or I have a slim chance of being admitted, but only after being wait-listed. 

Hi,

I had a quick question regarding the admissions process for doctoral programs. I applied to a few programs for NT studies. For some, like Baylor, I haven't received any invitations to interview. Does that mean I'll eventually be rejected? Have any of you been admitted to a doctoral program without being interviewed, even though that program typically conducts interviews?

I'm sure every school is a little different, but I assume that if I did not get invited to interview, then I'll either be rejected or I have a slim chance of being admitted, but only after being wait-listed. 

Great question that I've been wondering myself. Thus far, I've not been shut out of any interviews from the schools to which I've applied, but I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't get invited when those schools do extend invitations to interview. So I'll be asking the same thing!

If a program typically conducts interviews and has sent out invitations for interviews, you can safely assume rejection. There is a chance that if enough of those interviewees reject/decline the offer your name can be bumped up but if the interview session has already occurred, I'm sorry.

I feel your pain!!

I would look at the results page to see if people posted about interviews. Not all departments interview and even then, each school has their own policy for interviews. For instance, I'm applying to one school that interviews everyone that makes it to the short list. In another school, they only interview international students. Then there is another school that I'm applying to that only seems to interview students who are interested in a certain specialization within the department. So not getting an interview is not an indication that you've been rejected. Added to that, some schools send out invites in "waves" meaning that they do not notify everyone at once.

Acceptances and waitlists are generated after preview weekend at many schools. It takes a while for things to shake out. I got into a program off of the wait list and wasn't at the interview weekend. There are also people who come to interview who don't even make the waitlist after interviewing.