Weird situation: GRE test screen FROZE. Lost 3-4mins, should I retake? ):

Sandysum

Hi forummers, 

This forum has been very helpful in my uni applications so far and hence I've decided to post my latest conundrum here. No one around me seem to know what to do and I'm really lost. I'd appreciated your help greatly. 

I took the GRE test two days ago and the screen froze, eating up almost 4 minutes of my time for the quant section. As a result, I scored 159Q/159V which is not my ideal score. The test center was very apologetic but they could do nothing, I've since lodged a complain to ETS but I doubt they will do anything (there's even video footage of me waving at the cameras frantically for help!!!) This is my second try, first try (157V/159Q).

I'm applying to the schools below and the next test date is 21st Feb which means that some of the schools have to wait for my GRE scores if I do decide to retake. I've read that for many schools, the GRE cut off is 160 for quant. I.e. anyone scoring below this will not be considered. I'm very worried - as I've pinned a lot of plans with regard to getting accepted and of course I want to send as strong an application in as I can. I'm confident of my other submission documents as I have work experience with a major firm and my undergrad school is quite renowned (from Singapore). However, if this is true, I will consider taking the test again. 

MA in Economics:

1. University of California, Santa Barbara: 13 Feb 2015
2. University of Southern California: 1 April 2015
3. University of California, Santa Cruz: 1 Feb 2015

Another unique situation I'm facing is that, in Singapore we are graded by CAP (out of 5). It's based on a very strict bell curve (only top 5% of every class can score A etc.) and it's really hard to score above 4 basically, as we've had a lot of really bright Chinese scholars pushing the curve up in recent years. When I translate my scores to GPA it doesn't sound so impressive (3.1 GPA). Can anyone let me know if the grading system in the US is based on a bell curve too? Is it reasonable to convert the scores just through simple calculations? 

Thanks for your time! You'd have helped me greatly and I await your responses. 

Are you sure ETS won't do anything? There seems to be a pretty clear-cut case that an equipment malfunction caused you to be disadvantaged. Not that I've ever had to deal with their administrators, but surely there's a good chance they'll give you a free retest or something. You should definitely keep bugging them and see how they respond.

Unfortunately, the length of time until the next available test is a bit of an issue. I would email UCSC and UCSB, explain the situation, and ask what they'd like you to do. They might ask you to submit the current scores for the moment, and then submit the new ones once you're able to retest. (However, do UCSC and UCSB already have the scores from your first try? I suppose there's a risk that they'll just decide to rely on those scores, since you took that test unimpeded.)

Basically, just keep communicating, and hopefully something can be worked out. Don't give up!

Edited by DF394

ETS should give you a free retest but time isn't on your side obviously.

... Can anyone let me know if the grading system in the US is based on a bell curve too? Is it reasonable to convert the scores just through simple calculations? ...

Not in general, some professors curve exams, but grading the class entirely on a curve is something I've never seen before. Usually the applications tell you to just put your GPA as it is stated on your transcripts, any calculations are done by them. Though if the application accepts "Other" documents you could try explaining the grading done at your school.

Edited by <ian>

• 4 weeks later...

Don’t be afraid. The same happened to me on last year’s November. I contacted ETS by mail regarding my issue and they got back to me about 15 days later.

They confirmed actually what had happened with their appropriate sections and a advocate offered me retest voucher valid for 1 Years.

Still, you can’t retake within their 21 day policy. I lost my deadlines, waiting for another year.

The same thing happened to me. In the end I didn't have enough time to retake the exam and had to submit my scores that way. Fortunately, I got in at my top choice, so don't worry too much about it. One thing you can do is submit your scores to meet the deadline and explain the situation to the admissions officer and they will probably give you a few more days to submit your new scores after the deadline has passed.