Admitted to great school for my subfield, but mediocre school overall

Iansluggy

I have applied for PhD programs in pure mathematics and I have received an offer from a school that is ranked very highly for my subfield, but is a mediocre school overall (~60th US News). Based on the email I have received and the financial offer, it seems like they really want me, which is exciting, but I am wondering if I should attend a university with a more well-rounded math department.

How will going to a school with a very strong research group in my subfield, but mediocre reputation affect my graduate experience, as well as my postgraduate prospects?

I'm inclined to say that reputation in your field is most important as that is what will determine the resources the program has as well as the size of its professional network. Who cares if random people know how good it is if your colleagues do know?

Also, I don't know that 60th overall is really that mediocre. It's not top, but that's still pretty respectable. I mean, Clemson and Syracuse are around that ranking and they've got solid reputations.

If you work under a well respected professor, I don't think the reputation of the department will matter too much. How set are you on studying in that field, though? If you change your mind about it, there may not be many options about something else to study in that department.

Is Ferrari judged poorly due to their lack of mini-van, commuter car, etc prowess?

If someone is looking for a specific field, they are looking for that specific field. I have a hard time believing someone who wants a pure mathematics person will say "wow you are really good at exactly the thing we wanted, but your school isn't known for the things we don't want so, we won't be able to offer you a position...".

Well, UCSD is ranked 59th overall (by QS), but got people like Zelmanov (a Fields Medalist) in the department of Mathematics. I'd say most group theorists, for instance, would consider it a pretty good place to be. I'd say it boils down to who you'd work with and what you'd get to do.

If you get a few more offers this decision might be a lot easier to make. It's helpful to think about it now, but waiting on other schools might make your decision much more obvious. Good luck.