E-mailing a professor before being admitted!

JessePinkman

Hi. I am about to e-mail a professor at a University about possibility of working with him/her. I've applied to this University but haven't got a decision yet. I dont want the e-mail to hamper my chances. I don't have previous research experience but really want to do research during my graduate studies. Is someone here willing to review the e-mail for me. I'll PM it to you. Thank you. 

Hi. I am about to e-mail a professor at a University about possibility of working with him/her. I've applied to this University but haven't got a decision yet. I dont want the e-mail to hamper my chances. I don't have previous research experience but really want to do research during my graduate studies. Is someone here willing to review the e-mail for me. I'll PM it to you. Thank you.

I'll take a look at it if you'd like.

I Agree with rising_star. Seems a little late in the game for that... Though I'm sure you are really interested in working with this professor, before you send the e-mail I'd think twice whether sending it now won't come across as an attempt to merely influence the admission decision , thus making your genuine interest to be precieved as less serious than it actually is.

I think if you were planning to contact a professor with whom you'd like to work, it should have been done before you applied. He or she may see it as a thinly veiled attempt to influence the admission decision for you, as the above poster mentioned. 

I don't think it'd necessarily hamper your chances (in fact, I have a hard time believing it would), but I also don't think it'd help your chances. I'd probably err on the side of caution and not say anything unless the e-mail is truly relevant or of vital importance.

I emailed the program director and a few profs at my program of interest. One called me out- he answered my questions, prompted further discussion, but ended with "FYI- i dont have funding for graduate students..." and the other eagerly replied and then I got an interview invitation later that week. Just be polite, thoughtful and intelligent in your approach.

What is the goal in emailing? Do you have a serious concern or question? If you email because you want it to increase your chances then I do think it will hurt your chances. They will see your motives. If you have a true question or concern then I don't see a problem with asking.

In my experience, I was attempting to build rapport in the event I did get an interview. I'd know a little bit more about faculty I may or may not want to meet with, and hopefully have better insight concerning the research at this particular school.

I think it would make more sense to contact them if you do get an interview, not before. If you don't end up getting an interview then you will have wasted both your time. I found that I could easily figure out who I would want to interview with by reading current publications and looking at their we pages anyway.

Why are you emailing the professor now? 

I Agree with rising_star. Seems a little late in the game for that... Though I'm sure you are really interested in working with this professor, before you send the e-mail I'd think twice whether sending it now won't come across as an attempt to merely influence the admission decision , thus making your genuine interest to be precieved as less serious than it actually is.

I think if you were planning to contact a professor with whom you'd like to work, it should have been done before you applied. He or she may see it as a thinly veiled attempt to influence the admission decision for you, as the above poster mentioned. 

I don't think it'd necessarily hamper your chances (in fact, I have a hard time believing it would), but I also don't think it'd help your chances. I'd probably err on the side of caution and not say anything unless the e-mail is truly relevant or of vital importance.

Hi,

Actually, some professors prefer to email them after you have submitted your application. Here is an example:

"I am recruiting PhD students for Fall and Spring terms. Prospective PhD students should apply to UNR and then get in contact with me if you are interested in working in my lab. I prefer to be contacted by email, and please include a copy of your CV."

This is one example but I can put more. I came across with four of these examples reading personal webpages of professors. I don't see any problem if in the email you just tell him/her about yourself and don't ask questions like: "Will you be my Ph.D. advisor?"

I personally did it and one professor answered me. He updated me with the status of the admissions process. Moreover, some professors don't even look on your email because they receive a lot of emails, they are too busy or whatever. If it can harm you or not I'm not 100% sure.

Also, have your read the Don Asher's book? Here is a quote:

If you are wait-listed , think of your application as suspended on evenly balanced scales, equally weighted on the “admit” and “reject” sides. Throw something, anything, onto the admit side.

Asher, Donald (2012-07-31). Graduate Admissions Essays, Fourth Edition: Write Your Way into the Graduate School of Your Choice (Kindle Locations 1596-1597). Ten Speed Press. Kindle Edition. 

True, this is a recommendation when you are wait-listed but I think it is also with the intention of influence the admission process and it is totally valid. After all, you contact a professor because you want to be considered over thousands of applicants, before or after you have applied.

This is my opinion.

Best,