Neutral Letter of recommendation

Hello all,

I have had bad grades in the past but I am working very hard to get better ones. My doctor said he will give me a neutral recommendation letter. Should I try to get a good one? Also, he told me it is better he not state I had bad grades in the past in his letter because it might work against me. Is he right or wrong? My grades are REALLY REALLY better. I went from a 10/20 average on my last semesters to a 14/20 the last two semesters. In the french system that is a major leap. Do you think I can get good letters?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Eliot TABET

Hello all,

I have had bad grades in the past but I am working very hard to get better ones. My doctor said he will give me a neutral recommendation letter. Should I try to get a good one? ...SNIP... Do you think I can get good letters?

The committees are going to see your grades on your transcript regardless of their mention in a LOR. That said, look for recommenders who will give you a "good" letter of recommendation (make sure you say "a good letter, favorable letter, etc" in your request to them).

Why not ask the professors who taught the classes you have done well in?

Edited by <ian>

You definitely want the best letters of recommendation that you can get, so I'd suggest going for a "good" one as opposed to the neutral. 

Though I am curious (in general, not this specific instance) isn't the whole idea for a letter of recommendation to be good to begin with? I mean, the person writing the letter is supposed to be recommending you for the program... So, I find it kind of odd that the recommender would use the language "neutral". I assume he or she just meant that the letter would be fairly weak?

The university I go to is small and back warded. If you get good grades they'll give you a letter saying how much of a leader and how responsible you are even if you are a shy recluse and a tool. They all want to see all my grades not just the classes they taught me which I believe is so unfair. Furthermore, they only care about their credibility and their reputation they don't understand that it's my life were talking about, they also refuse to put 20/20 to anyone.

Thank you for all your help I will try to get good letters. 

First of all, I am a lecturer at a university and whenever students ask me to write them a reference letter I also ask for them to bring me their transcript so that I can see all their grades. I don't do this to be unfair - I actually do this to help the student, because it guides me in pointing out things that are excellent and helps me to show the positive development of the student. Background information like that (as well as a CV) is very important so the letter can be written in the most personal way. So I suggest you provide as much relevant information about yourself as possible to the professor writing you the letter so s/he can show that s/he really knows you.

As for your question, yes, it does matter who is writing the letter. I will only write letters for students I know and who I would like to recommend. If there is no personal basis (like if I have never taught that student or s/he sat in a class of 50 and never said a single word or wrote papers that were below average) how can I write something that suits their interest/cause/personality? You are definitely better off asking a professor who you have had classes with and with whom you have good rapport. A neutral or distant letter from a well known professor probably won't give you as many points as a positive letter from another professor who shows that s/he knows and supports you.

Does it matter which professor gives the letter or not? Does it have to be a well known one or one that taught me a major course?

The letter being relevant is probably important. You will be doing research and courses in your major, so how you are perceived by a professor in that major is the whole reason for the letters. I don't think they necessarily have to be the most prestigious professor in the world though. I would rather get a great letter from a professor that isn't as well known than a mediocre one from a superstar, but that is just me.

Plus you never know if the admission committee knows the professor writing for you. Even someone you might think isn't as well known might be well respected by someone on the committee.

I would just get the best, relevant letters you can get.

Edited by <ian>