Teachers College 2015

nyed4

Hi everyone! I'm surprised a thread hasn't begun for TC yet. I applied for their secondary social studies program and received an interview, has anyone gone the interviews before and know how the day is set up?

Hi everyone! I'm surprised a thread hasn't begun for TC yet. I applied for their secondary social studies program and received an interview, has anyone gone the interviews before and know how the day is set up?

Hey! thanks for starting the thread. I haven't received an interview but I've applied to TC in History of Education (PhD). No idea when to expect any news. Also, the upcoming storm is probably going to slow down the admission process at a lot of schools this week. Anyway, congrats on your interview invitation!!

When do masters applicants hear back from TC?

Simone Varadian, Assistant Director of Admission said to me the other day:

Thank you for your email.  We have waived your TOEFL requirement.  Your application is now under review, and an admission decision will become available mid-March.

Applying for M.A. with K-12 licence.

Doubt I'll attend TC, due to the cost. Seems that it's not too hard to get into TC for my major. TC was my back up school---if I don't get into other schools I can at least pay a lot of money for the brand name. I just got my first acceptance letter from Indiana University, they said I will "most likely" get a TA position.. K-12 licence program with TA position is something almost unheard of.. If I get a TA position at Indiana, I have no reason to pay 40k/year to go to TC..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

surprised to see Penn and stanford have 9 or 10pages, but only a couple of replies for TC. TC might be controversial. anyway a quite strong program in my mind. anyone hear back from phd programs of TC? l am also waiting other schools' decision. l am trying to ask when is the average decision time- mid FEB? ls now is too late?

surprised to see Penn and stanford have 9 or 10pages, but only a couple of replies for TC. TC might be controversial. anyway a quite strong program in my mind. anyone hear back from phd programs of TC? l am also waiting other schools' decision. l am trying to ask when is the average decision time- mid FEB? ls now is too late?

Hi, I got my acceptance from TC yesterday. If you have gmail, check your "Promotion" folder. I think every program has a different timeline (I'm History and Education). I was so excited to get the news, but was notified today that I wouldn't get funding because my department doesn't offer any type of financial aid this year. So disappointing. I might not be able to attend. Anyway, good luck to you!

I just got into TC for secondary Social Studies Education. Also got in MCERT at University of Maryland, which is a similar program. Having a hard time deciding between the two. TC has the name recognition, but I feel like UMD has the stronger program. Thoughts?

I just got into TC for secondary Social Studies Education. Also got in MCERT at University of Maryland, which is a similar program. Having a hard time deciding between the two. TC has the name recognition, but I feel like UMD has the stronger program. Thoughts?

People tell me that if you're just going to end up as a public school teacher, there's no reason to go to TC, but if you ultimately want to get PhD/EdD, go to TC. I have a lot of skepticism about TC... Some say it's kind of like diploma mill, that you just pay a lot of money for mediocre education, taking courses mostly taught by TAs..

I'm getting full funding at Indiana University for K-12 certificate.. I think that's where I will go.. TC is so expensive.. I got into UPenn as well and UPenn costs about 40k/year too..

Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it! I think the plan is to get the masters and certification, teach, then go on for an Ed.D or Ph.D. I feel like UMD has the stronger program for such a track, but a place like TC would be a place to consider for the eventual doctorate. Plans change however, as does my mind, apparently, every day!

Definitely DO NOT go to Teachers College if you want to become a public school teacher--I absolutely agree with Counterpointer. People do not 'say' TC is a diploma mill; at the masters level, which would include those in preservice teacher preparation, it is, in fact, a diploma mill. I work at TC as a field supervisor of student teachers, and I have encountered student teachers who do not know the basics of lesson planning when beginning their second practicum in a city school. TC is a big place, and has many different teacher preparation programs that might have more (or less) success, but I've heard stories like this from other supervisors in other programs. 

I realize lesson planning is not calculus or astrophysics or anything complex, and perhaps you might argue that you can learn this on your own, if you don't already have some concept of doing it. However, I would contend that $1,400/credit hour should, at the very least, guarantee that you are given some idea of how to think as a teacher does. If this is all to be learned in the field while teaching, why go to a school like TC? Why not go into something like TNTP, New York City Teaching Fellows, or some other alternative mode of preparation? 

One critique I have is the notion that TC courses are taught by TAs--I have yet to encounter this in any class. Yes, there are TAs, but they do little actual teaching, at least in the courses I've had with them. What you will find in some departments are 4000-level courses taught by doctoral students, often at an advanced (year 3+) stage of their studies. If they are teaching courses like Methods of Whatever-Subject, they are usually former teachers. You wouldn't want a PhD/EdD teaching you a course on teaching methods or classroom management or some other facet of 'practical teaching' at TC, as odds are they spent very little, if any, time in a K-12 classroom, or if they did teach they most likely have been out of the classroom for a long time. 

If you intend to get into higher education as a faculty member in some field, perhaps TC is a place to consider, but I think for the purposes of my current response this is a conversation for a different thread. I would definitely avoid TC if you want to learn how to teach in a K-12 school--I think you can find a better education for much less money elsewhere.

I learned something from your insights!  At least from your post I would agree  that TC's master-level courses are not competitive enough. Since I am applying for a doctorate degree, How about the PhD's academic life in TC, like in international ed or higher ed track? Someone told me the higher ed in Penn state U is quite strong, and I have already got an offer from PSU, how would you compare TC with PSU?  

Edited by Set0514

Hi, I got my acceptance from TC yesterday. If you have gmail, check your "Promotion" folder. I think every program has a different timeline (I'm History and Education). I was so excited to get the news, but was notified today that I wouldn't get funding because my department doesn't offer any type of financial aid this year. So disappointing. I might not be able to attend. Anyway, good luck to you!

Hi, thanks for your advice. Are you admitted in a doctoral or master program? I have hardly heard of any admissions of phds but many master acceptances those days, it is a little weird. Don't Phd decisions come first...

Hi, thanks for your advice. Are you admitted in a doctoral or master program? I have hardly heard of any admissions of phds but many master acceptances those days, it is a little weird. Don't Phd decisions come first...

Hi, it's for a PhD program in History and Education! 

I have a question.

When applying to grad programs in science, for example, professors are the admissions committee.  However, certain professional schools (e.g. MBA programs) have separate, "non-professor" adcoms.  Does anyone know how TC does it?  Are department professors making the admissions decisions?  Just curious.

In Curriculum and Teaching, I heard there are multiple levels of review. It sounded like there were doctoral students who helped to compile some of the applications, but they eventually went to professors for review.

Okay, thanks.

TC offers no scholarships for MAT K-12 programs? I got admitted but I don't see anything about scholarships.. Really? I knew it was going to be expensive but no scholarships at all? Anyone got scholarships for MAT K-12?

TC offers no scholarships for MAT K-12 programs? I got admitted but I don't see anything about scholarships.. Really? I knew it was going to be expensive but no scholarships at all? Anyone got scholarships for MAT K-12?

I had a phone interview for Psychological Counseling last week and was told that scholarships were few and far between at TC.

I had a phone interview for Psychological Counseling last week and was told that scholarships were few and far between at TC.

They make money off masters students. If you're lucky, they'll fund your first year, or at least part of it, but they have a reputation for stiffing MA students on the back end of their program.

Ah they sent me another email about financial aid. But yeah I doubt I will attend. Still expensive

Is anyone applying to the psychology in education program?

I applied for the M.A. in Organizational Psychology by the second ddl. You? Have you heard anything back yet?

I just got accepted to the human development PhD program at TC. I was wondering if anyone has any information on funding or what the program is like?

I just got accepted to the human development PhD program at TC. I was wondering if anyone has any information on funding or what the program is like?

Hey, you should get your "award letter" sometimes next week. They're pretty quick. Funding depends on your program (I'm History and Education, it's a very small program so they had more funding possibilities than for bigger programs). Generally, it looks like you shouldn't expect much help from TC. You can call the Office of Financial Aid for more details.