2015 Acceptance Thread

isostheneia

Does anyone know if schools ever notify waitlisters before accepted students? I would imagine not. #pregamingrejection

Yes, many of them have done so.  Much of the time a professor is simply given a list of waitlist and acceptances and told to call or email each person separately on the list.  Profs don't much care which order in which they notify.  The result is that wait-lists go out with acceptances.  But your instinct is roughly correct: Generally, wait-lists follow acceptances.  And generally, rejections follow both.

Does anyone know if schools ever notify waitlisters before accepted students? I would imagine not. #pregamingrejection

They might.  There are a lot of schools that don't know what the funding situation will look like next year.  It's a possibility.

Sorry to hear that, NF. It's only the start of the acceptance season!

haha thank you! you know how there is a comments section on the acceptance page- I'm surprised that for Northwestern there aren't some "WOOHOOS" or something- thats a big deal school!

There were acceptances over three days last year, it seems. Fingers crossed...

True. It does take professors some time to send out emails, especially if they're personalized. So there is still some hope. But I would expect all admitted students to receive an email by the end of this week, if not sooner (excluding those who are later admitted off the wait list).

Should we also make an official "rejection thread"? Perhaps we should try to keep all of the depressing news compartmentalized from the good.

Doing this will also enable us to print out a copy of the thread after admissions season is over and have a public burning of it.