Any Columbia MSW hopefuls?

socialworkette

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh, that *is* alllllll the way in :) Way to bury it. Mine does not have an update but good to know where to look. Thanks!

I have had a similar experience. I've been *unofficially* told that it will be good news, but had the same issues that you had with getting the letter... (you'll hear by this day, then by this day, then by Friday.. etc.) last I heard was Monday or Tuesday. Very frustrated with the wait and the continuous push backs. 

glad to know it's not just me. I thought everyone else had received their decisions. 

Ahh, that *is* alllllll the way in :) Way to bury it. Mine does not have an update but good to know where to look. Thanks!

Haha yup! Its so weird that my decision is in there but I didn't get an email about it. Suspicious. 

I just got my financial aid...it's definitely not enough :( I was only offered 9500 in scholarship, which pretty much cuts the tuition to 30,000 (and I'm commuting from my parents so housing isn't even calculated in that!)

How do I go about asking for more aid...??? My fafsa put me below the poverty level (I am independent but also a full time student) so I definitely qualify as having "need," but I guess that's not enough.

I was awarded 11,500 in scholarship and $4,000 in work study for the first year. I will be declining Columbia though because I got into a cheaper, state school.

I got my FA and am confused by it, as I was with NYU. Hah, math and numbers,etc. is obviously not my forte. 

I got 11,500 in scholarship, 4,000 work study, 41,000 in federal direct unsubsidized loan, and 28,000 in "alternative eligibility" which I have no idea what that is. 

I talked to financial aid at my school they said that alternative means it isn't guaranteed to get those loans since they go based on credit score but def lower interest/easier to get than private bank loans, @jharper the max you can take out for federal is $20,500 a year for grad school so their numbers are wrong if they say $41,000! 

I talked to financial aid at my school they said that alternative means it isn't guaranteed to get those loans since they go based on credit score but def lower interest/easier to get than private bank loans, @jharper the max you can take out for federal is $20,500 a year for grad school so their numbers are wrong if they say $41,000! 

AH well thanks for that info. Hmm, looks like I will be calling them tomorrow to try and figure this out!

AH well thanks for that info. Hmm, looks like I will be calling them tomorrow to try and figure this out!

They also gave me 41,000 for the loan, so if you find out, do you mind posting what they said?

They also gave me 41,000 for the loan, so if you find out, do you mind posting what they said?

Yup! I just haven't called yet- trying to get a bunch of stuff done before my trip up there this weekend to go to accepted students day and also visit NYU. I might try and see if it is possible to sit down with a financial aid advisor while I am there. 

Does anyone know how large the class sizes are at Columbia?

The class size is approximately 350 students per incoming year. I think the total including second years and advance standings students is 900.

i got 11k, which is 20k less than an offer from another school. this is so disappointing. columbia is hands down my top choice. is there anything we can do?

Definitely appeal for more and explain your situation, they almost always have back up for appeals. Also, if you have a better offer from another school I've heard that you can send them that fin aid letter and ask them to match it. Typically they'll meet you somewhere in the middle. I never did that but I'm sure you could find out how somewhere on these forums. They won't be insulted though, the worst they'll do is say no-- so there's no use not trying!