Any Columbia MSW hopefuls?

socialworkette

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I applied to the online program in November, had the interview in December, and they told me they would let people know in March. I already accepted NYU because it was my first choice and I only had 4 weeks to accept but I would still like to see if I can get into Columbia and it's the only other school I applied to.

Just to add a little totally personal perspective for those who have not visited Columbia yet, I had high expectations of the school but in person I was really disappointed. The school is off from the main campus and the admissions people and one faculty we met with seemed really cold and unhappy to be dealing with candidates. I get that it's a big name school and we want them more than they want us, but I for one felt very faceless there. 

I didn't know the program was off from main campus :(

It is a short ways away from the main campus, but it didn't strike me as too far away when I visited. I thought it was nice that the SW building is still quite new and I kinda liked that it was its own entity (maybe because my undergrad school's SW dept shared a floor with like 3 other departments…it seems like it would be nice to have a dedicated building) but that's just my preference. I also know a few people that went to CUSSW and really liked their experience there so I may be biased lol. Everyone should definitely try and visit if they can so you can get a feel for it.

is it an email telling you the decision or an email telling you to check the online application page? i guess it doesn't matter that much b/c i'll just compulsively check both all week!

@rosesw I believe it will be an email as well. However, my friend is graduating the program this May and she said when she was receiving acceptance letters, she found out first from the application page before an email was sent to her. 

so where would it say for those of us who are very obsessed and checking the columbia website too? would it say under "status" where it currently says "submitted"? 

also, for those of you who got into nyu… did you go straight from undergrad? take the gre? have lots of years in social service?

freakin' out over here.

I sent them an email to confirm that my application was complete since it only says submitted. They said all my materials are submitted and all applications are under review right not. FINGERS CROSSED

Edited by caitdownie

Hi all! 

Good luck, I know this is a nerve-wracking time for everyone! I'm a first year at Columbia, if you have any specific questions about the program or why I chose it over the other schools on my list don't hesitate to reach out! I'm happy to help. Just remember to enjoy this time (as difficult as that is to say) because it'll only get harder next year! 

Also, I know Columbia's price tag can be a little scary but with school scholarships, it turned out to be my most affordable option. So make sure to keep that in mind! Again, please don't hesitate to reply to this or DM me if you have any questions about Columbia :) 

so where would it say for those of us who are very obsessed and checking the columbia website too? would it say under "status" where it currently says "submitted"? 

also, for those of you who got into nyu… did you go straight from undergrad? take the gre? have lots of years in social service?

freakin' out over here.

I have my undergrad in Fine Arts from 2011. No GRE and no social service. However, I have been interning at a NPO in Japan.

Has anyone spoken to the admissions office yet? All of my friends are getting acceptance letters from schools they applied to like a month prior (UMD, Ship, UCF,). I might punch someone if I see another acceptance letter lol. But seriously this wait is killing me slowly

Has anyone spoken to the admissions office yet? All of my friends are getting acceptance letters from schools they applied to like a month prior (UMD, Ship, UCF,). I might punch someone if I see another acceptance letter lol. But seriously this wait is killing me slowly

I think a few people on this thread have contacted admissions and were told that we could be hearing back this week possibly. Personally I'm thinking we'll start hearing Friday. We're all there with you! Why Columbia has taken SO LONG who knows…they have one of the earlier due dates (at least the 12/1 date)….I keep refreshing my email and checking the app portal….

does anyone know what time of day it will come out? like morning, evening, etc? i wonder if they'll release decisions during their office hours. if so then maybe i could calm down after 5 instead of continually checking haha