Boren 2015 - 2016

triscuit

Hi everyone! I've been a lurker since I found this forum after submitting my application in January. Y'all made me stressed :P

Anyway, I was accepted to study Arabic in Jordan next fall on a Boren Scholarship! I originally wanted to get funding for my school's program in Morocco and then a separate program in Jordan in the fall, but they said they would only fund study in one country, so I'm only getting funded in the fall :/ But it's something! I can't even believe it. No one from my school has gotten one in like 10 years. My scholarship advisor was ecstatic. I already filled out the spreadsheet. Best of luck to everyone, and I'll see you in DC!!

what program are you going to in Jordan? Was initially going to egypt but that was cancelled so have to look for an alternate program, perhaps Jordan

Hi guys! I've been a lurker until now as well. I just got a scholarship to Jordan for 8 months next year for Arabic. Incredibly excited!!!! Congratulations to everyone accepted, and to everyone else, there are lots of other opportunities! Looking forward to meeting everyone in DC!

(@shoft_el_ayam, I'm going to the Qasid Institute and would be happy to discuss other options I looked at –– PM me if you'd like)

Edited by travelinglizard

Triscuit and any other lurkers out there, just want to say I was an alternate last year and this year I reapplied and was accepted. So, if this is something you really want, try, try again! Don't lose hope.

rejected :( I put my heart and soul into this. feel a bit gypped. I wish I knew why I was rejected.

I know how it feels, I applied a couple of years ago and didn't receive it, but I applied again this year with better essay, recommendation letters and volunteer work. never give up and try to even find other scholarships/loans ! 

Rejection is unfortunately the name of the game with fellowships.  I applied for 9 fellowships this year and so far have been rejected by 6 of them.  All you need is one 'yes' amongst all the 'no's.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have been researching the Boren Fellowship for about one month now. I just stumbled upon this forum. I don't know who is still active, but I had two questions: 

• Does anyone know whether or not undergraduate GPA is a make or break factor for the fellowship? I graduated with a 4.0 GPA for my MS in Intelligence Management, and I have 3.83 thus far for my ALM in International Relations. I'm just wondering what weight undergrad GPA has on selection. Mine was not great. 
  • Does submitting your fellowship application through a Boren campus rep help better chances of getting selected? 

Thanks!

Edited by Harvard_IR

• 2 weeks later...
  • Does anyone know whether or not undergraduate GPA is a make or break factor for the fellowship? I graduated with a 4.0 GPA for my MS in Intelligence Management, and I have 3.83 thus far for my ALM in International Relations. I'm just wondering what weight undergrad GPA has on selection. Mine was not great. 

If you were able to complete grad coursework and get a grad degree, which you have, I think it would help offset a poor undergrad gpa. 

Edited by Dreams