PhD Bioengineering/BiomedicalEngineering Fall 2015-

disasterprone

I have started not caring about my undergrad courses more than ever before and I feel really bad about it. I didn't believe in senioritis, but now... 

Same  :wacko: My desire to do ANY work is just.. through the floor

Yep, the program definitely interviews. I asked again and apparently he got NSF and then let the program know. At that point, the program decided to accept him on the spot. Of course, this is way uncommon (but apparently not unheard of) and more of an exception than the rule. Just a point that it's not over until its over (and it's still early in the season). 

This story is fresh in my mind because I was asking him what to wear for my interviews on the west coast vs east and he was like "I have no idea...I never even officially interviewed here" haha

I've also heard of this happening before from a number of different people. I'm guessing this is why they keep some people in a limbo until April. Some people get rejections and then others get nothing, no rejection, no waitlist notification, no acceptance. Maybe they just have a list of people they'd accept if they came in funded. Who knows.

The entire application experience summed up in two words!

I think it's the worst!! Not knowing is what makes this so stressful. I wish we we would get updates on every step, like "We've looked at your application! You're in the 'maybe' pile!" or "We've sent out invite requests but you haven't gotten one. Don't worry - there's still another round!" or "We don't like you enough to fund you, but you're in our 'you-can-come-here-if you-bring-your-own-money' pile!

Or even, as much as it'd suck, I'd rather know that I'm rejected than not know anything at all. 

If you get the NSF fellowship, I wonder if you could just call up a certain school and ask if they would admit you even if you didn't apply? After all, they get an excellent student who they don't have to pay for. I just wonder what your success rate with that would be. 

If you get the NSF fellowship, I wonder if you could just call up a certain school and ask if they would admit you even if you didn't apply? After all, they get an excellent student who they don't have to pay for. I just wonder what your success rate with that would be. 

You could always try! ;) I doubt the success rate would be very high though haha.

Btw, for Georgia Tech, can you apply to bioengineering. I applied to BME but can you apply straight to BioE? If so, how can you do that?

You can apply to other departments and choose BioE as your "home school". I believe most of the deadlines have passed, however. BioE - chem e deadline is Feb 1st (tomorrow), but I don't know if that's the hard deadline (whether all the supplementary doc/LOR must be submitted by that time too). I definitely don't have time to submit everything by then. Btw, did you get your rejection for UW via email?

You can apply to other departments and choose BioE as your "home school". I believe most of the deadlines have passed, however. BioE - chem e deadline is Feb 1st (tomorrow), but I don't know if that's the hard deadline (whether all the supplementary doc/LOR must be submitted by that time too). I definitely don't have time to submit everything by then. Btw, did you get your rejection for UW via email?

Had a professor contact me from a school I didn't get into and mention he may be moving to tech, asking me to apply for this. Dunno how I'm gonna get this done on time with everything else on my plate (school, research), but it seems like too good an offer to pass up. What do yall think?

This is completely anecdotal, but I toured quite a few UW labs when the BMES conference was there in 2013. It is obvious the department is incredibly well funded. The facilities are gorgeous and pretty much whatever sort of high tech gadgetry you want is there. They have a new research campus paid for by Steve Ballmer of Microsoft which is very high tech. Most of the facilities on the main campus look very new as well. I imagine it's the type of place you'd have a lot of latitude as far as funding goes. The only reason I didn't apply is geography.

Columbia I have not seen, but I would expect no less from them.

This has nothing to do with your "fit" to the program, just saying that both programs are nice :)

Had a professor contact me from a school I didn't get into and mention he may be moving to tech, asking me to apply for this. Dunno how I'm gonna get this done on time with everything else on my plate (school, research), but it seems like too good an offer to pass up. What do yall think?

Wait, when was the deadline? If you've got time, it seems like the professor is interested enough in you to encourage you on this route. If you can't do it, then you just can't do it I guess. (This is how I felt when I was deciding to apply to Northwestern like the day before the app was due haha)

I heard that if u didn't get an interview by now, you won't be admitted.

Wanna start a crying party?! :,,,,,(

I was being optimistic for not getting a rejection letter, but wahhhhh :'(((((

Is this true?

I was being optimistic for not getting a rejection letter, but wahhhhh :'(((((

Is this true?

I hope not.. I guess it depends on what programs you applied to. Only about half of the ones I applied to - maybe less - do interviews. Which means some of those that don't interview don't really need to rush to send out decisions in Jan. I know that it's easy to get discouraged but don't give up until you know for sure! We only just started February, so there's still two and a half months left. And if you haven't gotten rejections then it's very possible you're on a wait list. I've even heard of people getting acceptances after April 15 because they were on a wait list. 

Wait, when was the deadline? If you've got time, it seems like the professor is interested enough in you to encourage you on this route. If you can't do it, then you just can't do it I guess. (This is how I felt when I was deciding to apply to Northwestern like the day before the app was due haha)

It was yesterday, I had the rally of a lifetime and got it in by 7 PM. Who knows if anything will come of it, but I figured better to take a shot. 

It was yesterday, I had the rally of a lifetime and got it in by 7 PM. Who knows if anything will come of it, but I figured better to take a shot. 

Haha wow, congrats! Sounds like a hell of a day. No Super Bowl party for you? :D

I hope not.. I guess it depends on what programs you applied to. Only about half of the ones I applied to - maybe less - do interviews. Which means some of those that don't interview don't really need to rush to send out decisions in Jan. I know that it's easy to get discouraged but don't give up until you know for sure! We only just started February, so there's still two and a half months left. And if you haven't gotten rejections then it's very possible you're on a wait list. I've even heard of people getting acceptances after April 15 because they were on a wait list. 

Which programs don't have interviews? I'm pretty sure every single one of mine does. 

Which programs don't have interviews? I'm pretty sure every single one of mine does. 

You applied to some top programs, and I found that those are more likely to interview. I've heard back from UT Austin, Utah, Boston U, and CU Boulder without interviews. Though Boulder is a chem & bio engineering program, so that might explain the lack of interview. I think there are a few other places, but those are the only ones I've heard from (w/o interviews, anyway).

Edited by braindump

You applied to some top programs, and I found that those are more likely to interview. I've heard back from UT Austin, Utah, Boston U, and CU Boulder without interviews. Though Boulder is a chem & bio engineering program, so that might explain the lack of interview. I think there are a few other places, but those are the only ones I've heard from (w/o interviews, anyway).

Ahh okay. Your above point seems to be totally true for programs without interviews then. Without the hassle of travel arrangements, there's likely a much larger window for notifications. 

Ahh okay. Your above point seems to be totally true for programs without interviews then. Without the hassle of travel arrangements, there's likely a much larger window for notifications. 

Well, pretty much all the programs, interview or no interview, still have some sort of recruitment or visit weekend. But I guess since they don't have to continue the admissions process after the visit, like schools with interviews do, they're not really in a rush to do it asap.

Also just got my first rejection.  :( Sigh.