PhD Bioengineering/BiomedicalEngineering Fall 2015-

disasterprone

Dang. I still haven't heard anything. Guess I shouldn't be expecting much

Sorry, I didn't realize how negative my response was; it wasn't at all my intention to be so discouraging. I don't think you should give up or make an assumption about a school until you get some sort of official word! 

Oh lol. No it wasn't discouraging. I just type how I talk. I have some solid options, was just particularly interested in UCSD.

Just came back from the second interview weekend of JHU. Heard that they have about 80 interviewers this year... Why did they invite so many assuming they are cutting down the fundings... Weird. 

The bit about them decreasing funding is simply not true. They're not cutting funding, just changing where funding is coming from. They have about 22 teaching fellowships that allow students to rotate between labs for their first year. However, they wanted to increase their class size to about 30-40 this year, so those fellowships wouldn't be enough on their own. They're supplementing these fellowships with grant money won by professors who NEED students. Some students will be directly recruited into these labs and some students will be awarded the competitive fellowships that allow for rotation. My POI is estimating that ~60 students (or 75%) will be accepted into the BME program with 30-40 matriculating. He also said that (cell and tissue engineering at least) will hear back about acceptances and funding this week, barring any crazy complications.

Hopefully that provides some insight.

Any news on sunny San Diego?

From the interview, they said that they invited around 60 students but only like 50 people attended interviews, so they may accept some people from the waitlist.  They also stated they wanted to accept around 55-60 students.  If you haven't heard back yet, there's a chance you will be on the waitlist!

The bit about them decreasing funding is simply not true. They're not cutting funding, just changing where funding is coming from. They have about 22 teaching fellowships that allow students to rotate between labs for their first year. However, they wanted to increase their class size to about 30-40 this year, so those fellowships wouldn't be enough on their own. They're supplementing these fellowships with grant money won by professors who NEED students. Some students will be directly recruited into these labs and some students will be awarded the competitive fellowships that allow for rotation. My POI is estimating that ~60 students (or 75%) will be accepted into the BME program with 30-40 matriculating. He also said that (cell and tissue engineering at least) will hear back about acceptances and funding this week, barring any crazy complications.

Hopefully that provides some insight.

Thank you for so detailed information! Really appreciate it!

Does anyone know when JHU BME masters is going to be announced?

No idea if this is valid or trolling, but someone posted on the results page that they were accepted to BME CBID masters on February 19th. Other than that, no idea. 

Does anyone happen to know when Columbia BME sends out wait list notifications? Someone got in from the wait list last year (according to the results page), but no one has ever posted when they were notified.

Accepted: Northwestern, Northeastern

Rejected: Harvard

Waitlisted: BU

I've been invited to Rutgers (going tomorrow), and Tufts (went two weeks ago). Two schools rejected me right away (UCSD and MIT). One seems like I might not want to go there because the research advisers that want me in their groups are not really something I'd want to do (UMass Dartmouth). The remaining four have told me ABSOLUTELY NOTHING (Johns Hopkins, U Penn, U Pitt, and U Delaware. I just saw a round of rejections and acceptances go through JHU on here, but I haven't gotten anything, so maybe, not holding out hope though. I heard a rumor that U Penn had an open house weekend already (I wasn't invited if they did). U Delware and U Pitt I guess are just waiting longer?

I just need one acceptance and I can breathe but this is maddening.

Tufts told me that they would let us know a couple days after the interveiw, definitely by the week after, but it is now 2 weeks after and as far as I've heard, no one knows anything. I'm starting to get really discouraged. All my professors encouraged me to apply to the best and have a few safer schools, but now I'm starting to think I wasted my time and money. It doesn't help that my undergrad was two BSs in Chemistry and Biology rather than Engineering or BME. :(

Hey, I'm not sure if they're still waiting, but Pitt has already had its interview weekend (Feb 26-28) and has already sent out acceptances. I went to the interview and was accepted last week, but I do not think I will be accepting my spot as I don't think my research interests matched that well. They may still be waiting out to see if they will need to accept anyone off the waitlist, but I would still have hope! JHU also already two interview weekends, but is also likely holding onto applications to see if they need to accept others they didn't initially interview. This is just my theory, though, so don't take my word as fact. Hopefully this helps.

Does anyone know if all the JHU acceptances have gone out yet?

Looks like they came out the 10th according to the results page. Don't lose hope, I was accepted a bit later last year after some others declined. I received an email saying I was on the waitlist but likely to admit.

Thanks for the response, tuckbro!

It seems like some people were notified the 10th and 11th, and I know someone who heard back yesterday, so it seems like the acceptances may be trickling out, but I was just wondering if they were done trickling out or if notifications might still be coming out next week.

U Pitt sent me an email this morning, it was saying that some people have already been accepted but that mine was still under reveiw, and I may still be accepted. They said that they didn't know of a professor that was wanting to recruit me into their lab and that if I wan't offered entrance in the research MS or PhD programs then I was being offered a position in the Professional Master of Science in Bioengineering - Medical Product Engineering program. She wanted a reply on if I would accept that or not. What do you guys think? If I don't get accepted into a PhD (which I really don't think/hope won't happen) should I take a professional Master's position? Do you think it's easy to transfer over to research based PhD from there since it seems like a no research Master's type thing?

Anyone considering Columbia? I missed out on Recruitment Weekend but visited a couple weeks later and was accepted into the program. However, I would love to talk to other people who went to interview and are considering attending - it was weird to go there by myself and not meet with any other prospectives!

Still haven't heard back from Caltech BE yet, and I was never invited to an interview. Should I assume no at this point?

Probably, unfortunately. Interviews were late January/late February, and acceptances went out a week or two ago. Maybe you're on a soft waitlist, though.

Of course, this is anecdotal information and may not be true this year depending upon thier openings....

Last year, JHU was similar to MIT in that they only invited to interview those they felt they would accept.  A little different than MIT in that they only accept initially the exact number they need, and then make a waitlist of everyone else.  I recieved an email that I was on the waitlist but "expected to be admitted"  and I was shortly thereafter.  JHU went deep into the waitlist last year so chances are very good if you are interviewing.  There were probably some who weren't admitted, but I believe most were.  It all depends on how many accept that first waive of offers.

Tuckbro, your insight has been very helpful. So I was put on alternate list at JHU after the interview, My email did not say expected to be admitted though. "we have placed you on our alternate list. We have asked applicants to respond to these offers by April 15. Should we reach your position on our alternate list before April 15, I will contact you immediately" . Another school PI is pushing me to give an answer already.   Wondering how realistic my chances are. Any comment is appreciated. Thank you!

Edited by dmarm

Tuckbro, your insight has been very helpful. So I was put on alternate list at JHU after the interview, My email did not say expected to be admitted though. "we have placed you on our alternate list. We have asked applicants to respond to these offers by April 15. Should we reach your position on our alternate list before April 15, I will contact you immediately" . Another school PI is pushing me to give an answer already.   Wondering how realistic my chances are. Any comment is appreciated. Thank you!

Their process was so different this year, I would not want to venture a guess. It depends upon how many slots they have, how many offers they made and how many choose to go elesewhere.  I would not feel pressured to make your final decision until the deadline however, so hopefuly you will hear good news come April. 

Congratulations on being selected an alternate and I hope it works out for you!

Their process was so different this year, I would not want to venture a guess. It depends upon how many slots they have, how many offers they made and how many choose to go elesewhere.  I would not feel pressured to make your final decision until the deadline however, so hopefuly you will hear good news come April. 

Congratulations on being selected an alternate and I hope it works out for you!

Thanks again. Surely it depends on a size of this year class, which I'd guess is around 30+? and where I stand on alternate list. Wondering if there is any way to find it out. It is understandable that at schools where money comes from PI, they want to get their choice of students, thus know early if top choice is coming or not.

Edited by dmarm

It looks like rejections went out to some Northwestern BME PhD applicants today. I didn't get one, but I also didn't get an interview or invited to visit. The same thing happened with me and UPenn's ESE PhD program today... What is this?...

Have heard nothing from JHU, Northwestern or Duke.  There have been acceptances and rejections on the board from all three.  Should I be assuming rejections from them?  Already have two acceptances so still in great shape!  Thanks for any input!