Intersection of Early Modern Hussite History and Theology

xypathos

Sort of an odd request, I guess, but I've been devouring texts on the Bohemian Reformation - historical and theological. I prefer working at the intersection of both due to personal interests but I certainly read texts that are "strictly" historical or theological in their treatment of Bohemia (Jan Hus, Hussites (Utraquism, Taborites, Neo-Adamites), Zizka, etc).

Anyway, going through the footnotes of the items I'm reading, a name I'm seeing pop up continually is Thomas Fudge. It seems Dr. Fudge primarily focuses on the overlapping of historical and theological interpretations of the Bohemian processes. Which, given his background makes sense - a PhD in medieval history and a PhD in theology certainly makes him qualified to do either.

Of scholars still alive, who am I missing?

Surely there are other Hussite scholars that work in history and are receptive of theological work and vice versa. However, I'm struggling to find them. There is Phillip Haberkern at BU but I'm not so sure he's receptive to theology, at least not to such a degree that I'd prefer. That said, he has a book coming out through OUP regarding Hus and Luther and their various modes of their commemoration utilized by their supporters - I'm dying to read it.

I spoke with a UG prof of mine, a historian that works on Islamic Spain but someone that has read on the matter out of personal interests, and he says Fudge is the leading Hussite scholar alive today. That said, he used the understandable caveat that it's not his field and I should consult someone more qualified for such a claim.

So, TL;DR - looking for more things to devour, particularly as it pertains to the theology of the various Hussite groups and Jan Hus, and their respective historical context and hoping some of you know a name working at the intersection of history and theology.

Have you emailed a research librarian this question? People often forget that librarians exist and under-utilize them, but are really the first people to go to with a question like this. It is amazing how much better librarians are at knowing what is out there, which resources to use, how to navigate them, and so on, than the average researcher.

I'm afraid you're probably rather unlikely to get a good response on GradCafe to such a specific research interest—the odds of there being someone else who works on Hus here alone being rather low.

Have you emailed a research librarian this question? People often forget that librarians exist and under-utilize them, but are really the first people to go to with a question like this. It is amazing how much better librarians are at knowing what is out there, which resources to use, how to navigate them, and so on, than the average researcher.

I'm afraid you're probably rather unlikely to get a good response on GradCafe to such a specific research interest—the odds of there being someone else who works on Hus here alone being rather low.

I have, I've met with one of the librarians here at Vandy but due to the specific nature of the question, they said they'd look into it and get back to me. Which is fine, I certainly don't mind waiting and appreciate them doing some digging for me. Just wanted to see if maybe there was a lurker on the forums that shared an interest in the Hussites.

I would at least email Phil Haberkern on this.  I have done a decent bit of work with him while at BU, and while he is really more of an historian (and a hell of a good teacher to boot), I think he'd be willing to help you out.  He is a really nice guy, and as you note the narrowness of the field on Hus, I think he'd be excited to hear of anyone else interested in him, whatever your particular angle.  Furthermore, in that he did a postdoc at Princeton, where he was refined further by the purifying fire that is Anthony Grafton, he'll probably have plenty of sources for you to work with.  He also knows Czech and has some kind of access to a number of untranslated letters, etc. from Hus that would be that ever-wonderfully obscure reference you can drop into a footnote as if you just *happened* to be perusing the catalog of the Národní knihovna České republiky one day and saw it.