Using the US term "college" for UK graduate schools

onoharuko

Hey Guys,

I know I could totally be paranoid, but I still want to ask:

When I was writing SOP/PS for several UK graduate schools, I used the term "college" to indicate my undergraduate school. Then I suddenly realized today that the UK term college simply is not interchangeable with "University." Would this be a problem? And should I make any additional explanation to the UK grad schools?

Thanks in advance for any reply!

You should be fine because it should be clear from the context and most of the world is familiar with American culture and American terminology. Also, academia is very international, I'm sure there would be at least one American there that can help explain the words if necessary.

In the U.S., university means an entire campus of colleges but technically in order to be called a university in the U.S. the institution must at least grant Master's degrees (otherwise, it's just a college).  Americans use them interchangeably, though. 

A bit of confusion:  Boston College is technically a university but there is already a Boston University.  BC is also technically not in Boston.

I could be wrong, but I do believe that in the U.K. "college" is what they call the year between high school and university.  Something like the equivalent of a year at a CC after HS in the U.S. or a 5th year of HS.  College in the U.K. prepares students for university and I believe the term "grad school" is rather new to the U.K. :unsure: , so in a way I think you are correct.  

Edited by Crucial BBQ

In the U.S., university means an entire campus of colleges but technically in order to be called a university in the U.S. the institution must at least grant Master's degrees (otherwise, it's just a college).  Americans use them interchangeably, though. 

A bit of confusion:  Boston College is technically a university but there is already a Boston University.  BC is also technically not in Boston.

I could be wrong, but I do believe that in the U.K. "college" is what they call the year between high school and university.  Something like the equivalent of a year at a CC after HS in the U.S. or a 5th year of HS.  College in the U.K. prepares students for university and I believe the term "grad school" is rather new to the U.K. :unsure: , so in a way I think you are correct.  

In the UK, a university has several colleges. I believe you are usually admitted to a specific college in the university (or, at least, funded by a specific one). It's not the same meaning as "college" in Canada or the USA at all (and they are not used the same way in those two countries either!)

On topic: I don't think it will matter. They will probably already be familiar with Americans saying college instead of university, and if not, they can probably figure it out from context.

Edited by MathCat

In the UK, a university has several colleges. I believe you are usually admitted to a specific college in the university (or, at least, funded by a specific one). It's not the same meaning as "college" in Canada or the USA at all (and they are not used the same way in those two countries either!)

On topic: I don't think it will matter. They will probably already be familiar with Americans saying college instead of university, and if not, they can probably figure it out from context.

Actually a lot of schools in the US are the same. Georgia Tech (a nickname that is also a misnomer) is a university with colleges, such as the College of Computing. Inside the College of Computing there are 3 schools (CSE, CS, and IC).

Anyway, I'm pretty sure your transcript says what University you went to so even if you called it a potato they will see that it isn't a potato but a University (but don't call it a potato because I'm pretty sure you won't get admitted).

Edited by <ian>

Thank you guys for posting under the topic! I am just going to leave my PS as it is and then fingers crossed!! I guess it is confusing when the same term can mean various things in different regions in the world.  

In the UK, colleges are schools that offer the last two years of pre-university education (A-levels). Another notion of college, is a community (where people live together) within a university (Oxford, Cambridge, and Durham, for instance, have a college system). Nonetheless, UK universities will also understand an American's notion of college. Personally, though, I would prefer adopting the British terminology: 'during undergrad' instead of 'in college'.