Psychology MA

Ilspflouz

Hey all,

Probably PhD reject here, and considering doing an MA in psychology. I've been browsing threads for awhile and saw that some of you have already completed Psych MA programs. I've been googling, but have found it hard to find psychology master's programs that are not from for profit universities.

Anyone willing to share where you obtained your degree from and what you thought about the program/your ability to do research there? Also does anyone have an idea about if the school you get a master's from will matter much to PhD admissions committees? Or does it just matter if you do well in the program/are able to publish? 

Any feedback helps! Thanks everyone.

I had the same worry with my specific interests - no MA that allows that focus. So I found one in a related discipline that DOES allow that focus, and applied to that as a backup plan. I strongly suggest you work your little brain muscle and think about what other disciplines might have Masters on your favorite topic. I actually found something that would make me very happy to get into, probably allow more time focusing on my research interest than the first two years of a PhD, and has full assistantship/funding. So I strongly encourage you to not exclude related fields for further work, while still keeping your eyes on your Psych PhD.

I had the same worry with my specific interests - no MA that allows that focus. So I found one in a related discipline that DOES allow that focus, and applied to that as a backup plan. I strongly suggest you work your little brain muscle and think about what other disciplines might have Masters on your favorite topic. I actually found something that would make me very happy to get into, probably allow more time focusing on my research interest than the first two years of a PhD, and has full assistantship/funding. So I strongly encourage you to not exclude related fields for further work, while still keeping your eyes on your Psych PhD.

Thanks for the feedback psychface! You've been very helpful.  :)

The state schools in California have psychology masters programs (i.e. CSU San Francisco, CSU San Jose) but the large public universities (i.e. Berkeley, UCLA) don't. Maybe it's a similar pattern across other states?? I can definitely see how googling "masters in psychology" would lead to the for profits...

You can always use the grad cafe results to look up psychology masters results to get ideas as well:)

Edited by Generis

I received my masters in psychology from Pepperdine. I was able to join a research lab but it took a lot of effort on my end, not really a focal point of the program. Not sure of your field within psychology but often times lab positions and research assistant positions are just as valuable and cheaper! I would do a lot of research before going into a Masters program and also look into research positions that would allow you to gain more experience if that is something you're missing. Just a thought based on my experience!

There are a few funded programs that have good reputations: villanova, bucknell, william and mary, and wake forest. I know these programs have a very good track record building students profiles for phd programs.

Hi! 

I am kind of in the same boat as OP (likely Psych PhD reject), but I am unusually pessimistic about my chances with anything so I planned to apply to both MS/MA and PhD programs from the start. 

My current mentor suggested this strategy because (at least in my specific field/interest) there are partially-funded MS programs where I could do hands-on research with people who work with the people I want to work with. So, I would do my MS with a mentor who frequently collaborates with people who I would like to do my PhD with. Then, when I've completed my MS, I can hopefully work the connection and show that I can succeed at a graduate level. Also, look at a program's lab websites for any former MS/MA student listings and see where they are now. If they're where you want to be that's a good sign!

Searching for MS/MA in Psych online can be really frustrating, so I would suggest just asking knowledgeable people for suggestions. That's what I did.  :)  :)

Apply to Villanova!

It's research-intensive, fully funded, and most students go into reputable PhD programs. I believe Lehigh has a strong rep, too

I heard these are good. I would also add William & Mary (Feb 9th, I think) and Brandeis (rolling until April) to this as well. I was actually going to apply to Brandeis before I got accepted at Illinois.However, you must contact potential advisers ahead of time at Brandeis before you apply. I contacted one and he was already selecting students a week out!