Let's talk 2015 stipends/funding

SarshTheAwesome

I guess this is anonymous enough that we can talk about funding. Is it a good idea to weigh stipend differences when we are deciding between schools? What about the differences between fellowships, stipends, and being an "insert fancy name here" Scholar? 

I do wonder~ since I'm international student and don't know about the living cost differences among each states.  

It may be one of the most influential factors to me in deciding which schools to go.Although it seems I won't have any options but Texas so far  :P 

Edited by Maxtini

@epinephrine

I live in Chicago and one of my first full time jobs paid $31,000 -- and I was able to live just fine (not gloriously).  I know that Northwestern's funding packages are within that realm, I believe (at lease for the programs I am looking at).

Chicago it depends on where you live and your willingness to live with roommates, which will make some neighborhoods much more accessible!

Edited by c m

I would ask whether or not the stipend is taxable. Some schools are able to work around that, while others will say "you are considered for a TA position with a taxable stipend of XX$". The schools I visited with lower stipends had the majority of that stipend as non-taxable, which makes a big difference, while the ones with larger stipends were taxable. At the end of the day, a 1-2 grand a year will not make a very large difference.

All stipends are taxable. Unless the school is doing something reeaallly fishy, every graduate stipend is taxable. There's no way around it. There are a few cases of NIH/NSF/DOD fellowships that have been ruled in special cases not taxable, but those are very special cases, and require the IRS to actually issue a ruling on you as an individual case.

Generally, most stipends are enough to live reasonably comfortably in the city where the school is located, so I wouldn't worry so much about that.