How to answer an offer? - RA/TA?

mafia59

Hi,

My POI emailed me and offered a PhD position in his group. He also asked me that I prefer TA or RA?

First of all, how should I say thank you to him? It was a position that I liked much.

Second, I don't know to choose TA, or RA?! which you recommend?

Third, there is another position in another university I have applied, that I like it very much, too. I had serious talk with a professor there, and I will have an interview soon. If I receive a good offer from the second one, I think I will choose that, but I don't want to loose the other opportunity, cause I don't know even I will get an offer from the second one or not! What should I say in my response? Should I mention my condition?

Agreed with Vene. Imagine what you want to be doing after you finish the doctorate, what kind of career you'll want, and what kind of resume you'll need to launch that career. Plan accordingly, take positions now that will prep you to do what you want later.

Well, first things first, what is the deadline on the first offer? If it's not until April 15, I would just say that you are very interested, thank you for the offer etc. and you will let them know as soon as you make your decision, which is not until you hear back from all schools.

You can also ask some questions about how RA and TA works in their department. That is, can you still choose to take on extra TA assignments later (and get paid for it)? Does being an RA still mean TAing once in a while? If you choose TA, then what happens in the summer when there might not be any classes? Personally, I think it's best to have the option of TAing when you want it but not have to depend on it for funding.