Program Specific Thread - Princeton U

SunnygirlDiana

Haha. Wow. Lots of great questions. You'll come to the visit weekend having all these questions answered and then you can just have fun!

1. In terms of working here for the summer (vs. internship). I started working here August 1st, one month work of summer. Half the students in my year started some time in the summer. The other half started on time. Yes for more competitive labs, working during the summer is key. I highly recommend starting during the summer. There's no commitment in staying with the same advisor after the summer. It's a great way to settle in Princeton before the start of the semester. I wouldn't say its disadvantageous to not do the summer here, depends on what the internship is. Professors are very open as to when you can start.

a. You can do the whole parking permit when you are here. Do you plan on living on campus? I live on campus, which is an 8 minute bike ride to the lab or a 20 minute walk. Yes, to this day I bike it to the lab and it's great! I don't own a car, so I'm not particularly clear about the parking situation. From my understanding if you live on campus then it's hard to get a permit since they are trying to encourage other means of commute (walking, biking). We get housing for three years, why not take advantage of it. I come from NYC commuting for over 2 hours each day, right now I enjoy biking 8 minutes.

b. I'm living in the New Graduate College (NGC). It's practically a graduate student dorm. Not the best, but does the job. Next year I'll be moving to an on campus apartment, probably with a room mate. Rent for the NGC is like $750/month. The apartments might be like $800/month. Not really sure. As far as off campus housing, I can't help you there since I don't really know much about it. Definitely ask that when you come visit. My advice, take advantage of the campus housing whenever you can.

3. Yes there's a lab technician. However, you run your own NMRs. He's there to make sure all the NMR instruments are up and running well. Also if you are ever having any issues with an experiment, or are wondering if a unique experiment can be done he will be more than happy to help you. Very knowledgeable guy. As far as the other instruments go, look you are coming to do a PhD. Independent use will be encouraged. That being said, at the beginning people will be showing you around, showing you the instruments. Once you get a handle on it, then you are on your own. Simple things like GC-MS, LCMS, IR or even the Biotage, once you know the software you are good to go. X-ray crystallography for example, I get a crystallographer to do my crystals right now. But I plan on learning some time in the future. (5 years is a very long time)

Best of luck with your decision!!!! (I also had to choose between Princeton and Columbia and it was not an easy choice).

Hi again. Thanks for your fast reply!

I was just wondering about the instruments because when I was researching abroad in Germany, their department didn't allow anyone to take NMRs by themselves, and they had technicians to do it, which I found somewhat annoying.

So I was just curious if the setup was like this at Princeton for all or some of the instruments.

Did you have any thoughts on the second year quailfying exam (either that you heard from more senior students in your lab, or in general right now?), or are you guys not allowed to discuss the exam after taking it. I just noticed you're only a first year student so you might not have as much of an opinion as of now haha!

The question I originally asked about it was: "1. I want to know a little bit about Princeton's second year qualifying exam, because at my university we only had research proposals in field and out of field. What kind of material/subfields is covered on the test and how thorough or difficult is the material (undergraduate or graduate level?)? Did you study for it a lot/ how long did you study? And did you find the qualifiers in general (proposals and exam) to be stressful or difficult?" I also asked a third year at Princeton this question and they also didn't respond to it...I'm not sure if it was because he didn't see the question among my other ones, or if it is because you guys are not allowed to discuss it afterwards....in any case, please let me know which is the case!

P.S. I'm leaning towards Princeton as of now, but Columbia of course is a very attractive option as well and I am visiting there also :)

As I previously stated you run your own NMRs. You prepare your sample. Then you go to the basement. Choose an NMR instrument depending on the experiment you want to do. Then you log into the computer. Input the experiment you want. And since the instruments are automated it will be placed on a queue so you don't have to wait. You go back to your lab and do other things. After x amount of time, you log into your computer (yeah you don't have to go back downstairs) and using a FTP program you can get your NMR spectrum. At no point is anyone else running your NMR experiment. Hopefully that answers your question.

As for the generals exam. I've heard from other students and also been present in a practice generals talk from a 2nd year in my group. There are two parts. For organic students, the first part is comprised of your Research Progress Report. What have you done in the last 1.5-2 years. What's really important, more than the amount of data collected, is if can you tell a story about your project. The second part is an independent out of field proposal. Yeah the generals exam are stressful, as they should be. It seems common place for the advisor to give their students 1 month off from the lab in order to prepare for the generals exam. Then there's the practice generals exam with your group, although the advisor sits out for the independent proposal. During the generals exam, you can get asked all sorts of questions. The committee just wants to see that you can defend yourself with the acquired chemistry knowledge. This is where the first year classes come in handy. For the generals you are expected to know a lot and they are difficult. That being said, most people pass the generals exam. From what I hear, Princeton is known to choose prospective students that will pass on to PhD candidacy. Is something that everyone must get through. 

Yes, all my questions have been answered now...thanks so much!!!

The format of the general qualifiers at princeton is pretty similar to those that my department have as well then...originally i was nervous because i thought there was a comphrehensive written test (i really dislike taking long and diifficult written tests haha. I prefer this proposal format overall) that covered many subfields of chemistry. I know the proposals and the questions asked there will be difficult as well but i still immensely prefer this arrangement compared to what i thought i read in the handbook at first!!

In any event, thanks again for fielding all my questions! You were a great help, and i'm looking forward to meeting you on march 6th visiting weekend! :) :)

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome! Princeton right now is my first choice but I have another visit to go. I'm interested in rational design and synthesis especially for neurodegenerative diseases so I'm most interested in Sorensen and Stock (associated faculty). Princeton also has a joint degree with neuroscience that seems pretty unique and pretty great.

I would like to start research in July but I'm an international student and Im worried that it might take forever to get my visa stuff sorted out. It seems so long from now though!

Hi All,

I couldn't find a program specific thread for Yale, so asking here - how do the Chemistry PhD programs of Princeton and Yale compare? Especially in:

1. organic synthesis applied to chemical biology

2. physical and biophysical chemistry

3. how much you can explore before committing to an advisor

4. how much freedom you have to choose your topic of thesis research, and if that can even be from a field not directly represented in the research of any faculty there (e.g. bioorthogonal chemistry)

My long-lasting research interests have been organic synthesis and chemical biology, but lately I have also become interested in physical chemistry, mainly due to my coursework, so I want to explore thoroughly before I commit to a field. I am an international student admitted to both these programs and unable to visit either place for the visiting weekends, so your help would be welcome.  :)

• 1 year later...

Bumping for those that got into Princeton this year. Princeton is at the top of my list due to many of the reasons listed in the thread. I'll be visiting during the March 17th date!

I would also love to know the answers to the above poster's inquiry on how it compares to Yale. 

Edited by Dibenzofulvene

28 minutes ago, Dibenzofulvene said:

Bumping for those that got into Princeton this year. Princeton is at the top of my list due to many of the reasons listed in the thread. I'll be visiting during the March 17th date!

I would also love to know the answers to the above poster's inquiry on how it compares to Yale. 

I'm also excited to visit Princeton but I'm visiting the late February dates. This is a really fantastic thread of useful information

• 2 weeks later...