Good GRE, Low GPA

zj868

Just finished my GRE exam and I got Q:163/V:153. I'm applying to an electrical engineering program and i'm only really concerned about the quant score. I've read on several sites that my quant score is the average for the top 10 engineering programs in the US. Anyway, I'm currently completing my applications and I'm wondering if my profile could be competitive for a top 20 EE school.

I started my undergrad program with a 2.28 GPA due to sickness and a bunch of other stumbling blocks(let's say i wasn't as mature as I should have been). I've since raised my GPA to  2.91 (should be 3.0 by graduation), I am president of a recreational club on campus, I do part time research in an electromagnetic characterization lab on campus and I've gotten A's in all my relevant upper level core courses! I want to apply to Columbia and Georgia Tech as my top choices and I would like some feedback on how competitive my application might be seeing that I improved a lot and juggle school as well as extracurriculars now. Also, when I could not get an internship due to my GPA, I started up my own summer business that did quite well (i think this would show perseverance as well). Any comments are welcome! Thanks everyone!