Decent GRE, Low GPA HELP!

zj868

Just finished my GRE exam and I got Q:163/V:153. I'm applying to an electrical  and i'm only really concerned about the quant score. I've read on several sites that my quant score is above the average for the top 10 engineering programs in the US. Anyway, I'm currently  my applications and I'm wondering if my  could be competitive for a top 20 EE school.

I started my undergrad program with a 2.28 GPA due to sickness and a bunch of other stumbling blocks(let's say i wasn't as mature as I should have been). I've since raised my GPA to  2.91 (should be 3.0 by graduation), I am president of a recreational club on campus which I revived from 3-5 years of dormancy, I do part time research in an electromagnetic characterization lab on campus and I've gotten A's in all my relevant upper level core courses! I want  to Columbia and Georgia Tech as my top choices and I would like some feedback on how competitive my application might be seeing that I improved a lot and juggle school as well as extracurriculars now. I can get recommendations from some very recognized faculty, also, when I could not get an internship due to my GPA, I started up my own summer business that did quite well (i think this would show perseverance as well). Should I apply to these schools? What are some other programs I should look at?

Thanks everyone!

The minimum for gatech graduate school is 3.0 so make sure you obtain it. What is your major gpa? (just EE classes)

Some schools only care about your last 60 credit hours so if you really improved you could try looking at universities that take last60 into consideration (both Arizona schools do).

Like you said, that GRE score isn't spectacular and the Quant score is slightly above average (162 in my opinion). So that GRE score isn't going to be a positive but it will get you past the GRE cut offs. I have seen A&M list a combined score of 320 as average and 310 as minimum in my engineering program.

With a low GPA you need to make up for it with research experience (publications a plus), engineering industry experience, great letter of recommendations, a great GRE score, and a great statement of purpose. These schools are tough but I don't ever think top 20 is completely out of the picture, especially if you go for a non-thesis masters. But you need above a 3.0 GPA to make sure you'll get the chance of your application actually making it in front of the committee.

This ranking shows Georgia Tech as #5 and Columbia as #19 (How do you guys afford these ivy league schools?) for EE graduate programs.

http://www.university-list.net/us/rank/univ-20131047.htm

Like you said, that GRE score isn't spectacular and the Quant score is slightly above average (162 in my opinion). So that GRE score isn't going to be a positive but it will get you past the GRE cut offs. I have seen A&M list a combined score of 320 as average and 310 as minimum in my engineering program.

With a low GPA you need to make up for it with research experience (publications a plus), engineering industry experience, great letter of recommendations, a great GRE score, and a great statement of purpose. These schools are tough but I don't ever think top 20 is completely out of the picture, especially if you go for a non-thesis masters. But you need above a 3.0 GPA to make sure you'll get the chance of your application actually making it in front of the committee.

This ranking shows Georgia Tech as #5 and Columbia as #19 (How do you guys afford these ivy league schools?) for EE graduate programs.

http://www.university-list.net/us/rank/univ-20131047.htm

I have all of the above except for publications and industry experience.  Should I retake the GRE to make myself more competitive? Also, are you implying that non-thesis master's programs are easier to get into?

I'm hoping for funding or a miracle as far as affording them LOL.

Thanks for the replies guys!

I have all of the above except for publications and industry experience.  Should I retake the GRE to make myself more competitive? Also, are you implying that non-thesis master's programs are easier to get into?

Well, publications and industry experience are probably the two most important things on that list as far as grad schools are concerned (given a low GPA). Admittedly, I'm less familiar with the EE field than BioE, but have you considered applying for a post-bac with a stipend? They're basically designed for people in your situation who want to show they're serious about their field but have other credentials which weigh them down. 

I forgot to mention that when I said your Quant score is average I meant average out of the accepted for engineering graduate school. To me your score is competitive for graduate schools but not these two schools you have your heart set on. Georgia Tech is a top ranked school that is tough for any good applicant to get into and Columbia is still going to be strict since it is a Ivy league school.

Columbia mentions average GRE school for graduate school

http://gradengineering.columbia.edu/standardized-test-scores-0

And for Georgia Tech the average GRE scores for EE (damn that is high for a average)

http://www.ece.gatech.edu/academics/graduate/apply.html

Also here is UT-Austin who breaks down the mean accepted scores nicely by program

http://www.utexas.edu/ogs/prospective/stats/pdf/avg-gpa-gre-2012.pdf

Yes, it is easier to get into a non-thesis degree in my opinion. I think this because I applied to 12 schools and my first acceptance (even before the deadline) came from a out of state school that I applied to for a non-thesis. But some university applications don't let you specify a non-thesis degree in the online application so check your schools. Honestly though, you should choose between a thesis and a non-thesis based on what you want in a future career. A thesis degree will not only be better for going for a Phd, but will also be better if you want to pursue a career in a research focused position like at a national laboratory. All my other applications are for thesis options because my professor recommended it to me based on my career dreams in research.

Finally, you need to build up your research experience if you want a shot at high ranked schools like Georgia Tech. Shoot for a submission for a publication while your in school. As for industry experience, if your not busy in the summer with research then try for a internship. But applications are only ~$75 each school....so you can always apply and if you don't make it, then you can go into the industry to build up your work experience for your application. Also remember that work experience is going to be needed to land a job after completing your masters as well. But get that GPA up past a 3.0 so you don't run into recruiter GPA cut-offs.

Good luck and hope this info helps. I'm a low GPA overall of a 3.26 so I always root for the underdog.

Edited by Texan_Air

Thanks a lot Texan_Air! You've been extremely helpful.

I forgot to mention that I already have an offer at a state school but I don't particularly fancy it. I wont retake the GRE but I'll definitely push for a publication and try to land myself an internship. I may have to wait a year to apply since it will be

passed all my deadlines by the time I finish this semester (with a 3.0 :)  ). I'll definitely pay the $75 and take my chances though. Worst case scenario, enroll in a post bacc 

program or try to land a job for a year or two. I'm not sure that research is my passion yet because I haven't experienced industry jobs. The big kicker is the price tag associated with non-thesis degrees! 

Good luck to you too!

• 6 months later...