Waiting to Exhale (the wait list thread)

PS, a wait-list question I don't think I've seen asked elsewhere: for those with admits, are you planning to choose once you've heard from all of the schools on your list, or after visiting the school, or based on some other factor?  I'm trying to glean info re: timeline... after what point I can reasonably expect my waitlisted spots to turn into yeses or nos.  I know 4/15 is the drop-dead date, but I'm guessing most decide before then?  Thanks.

PS, a wait-list question I don't think I've seen asked elsewhere: for those with admits, are you planning to choose once you've heard from all of the schools on your list, or after visiting the school, or based on some other factor?  I'm trying to glean info re: timeline... after what point I can reasonably expect my waitlisted spots to turn into yeses or nos.  I know 4/15 is the drop-dead date, but I'm guessing most decide before then?  Thanks.

Personally speaking, if I get funding/acceptance with funding from some of the schools I am waiting to hear from there are at least five schools I will contact to either decline my acceptance or withdraw my app from consideration. So, I think it depends on how many applicants at the places where you are WLed follow this model.

As an aside, I keep meaning to say this. Vermont is the best (honestly, teaching at UVM would be a dream for me)! I'm pulling for you. :)

Edited by InHacSpeVivo

I was agonizing over whether or not I should email the DGS at Princeton to ask about their waitlist procedure, but after reading the responses here I think I'll go ahead and email. 

Have I mentioned how incredibly appreciative I am of all the goodwill on GC this year? It's really astounding. *warm hugs to all*

I just found out that I'm on the wait list for OSU. It was a very positive and encouraging letter, and told me that if admitted, I'd get a waiver/decent stipend, and that they only admitted 9 PhD candidates this year. Does anybody know about OSU's usual wait list timeline, or whether or not my situation would be benefitted by visiting the department (I live close by, and UW-Madison suggested it in their wait list email)? 

I'm on the wait list for Ohio State, too! I'm ecstatic. I don't have any acceptances with funding yet, so this could be my only option. From my understanding, they will inform the wait list people as people begin declining their acceptances from late March--early April.

What is your sub-field, softcastlemccormick?

I'm on the wait list for Ohio State, too! I'm ecstatic. I don't have any acceptances with funding yet, so this could be my only option. From my understanding, they will inform the wait list people as people begin declining their acceptances from late March--early April.

What is your sub-field, softcastlemccormick?

Right now I have another wait list, so it could be one of my only funded options as well. And my sub-field is 19th-century British lit, as well as sexuality studies. How about yours?

Right now I have another wait list, so it could be one of my only funded options as well. And my sub-field is 19th-century British lit, as well as sexuality studies. How about yours?

Long nineteenth century literature or Victorian? I'm interested in Gothic Victorian literature, with an emphasis on eco-critical studies (urbanization, structures of buildings, etc.). It's so exciting to meet someone else with similar interests!

Long nineteenth century literature or Victorian? I'm interested in Gothic Victorian literature, with an emphasis on eco-critical studies (urbanization, structures of buildings, etc.). It's so exciting to meet someone else with similar interests!

Mostly Victorian novels and poetry, but long nineteenth century erotica. I'm into fringe fiction, like adventure and sensationalist fiction, and definitely gothic! What's your favorite gothic work? Yay for similar interests!

CarolineKS, it's 20/21C lit. and theory. Not sure how either program arranges their waitlist(s), but hopefully that helps. Good luck to you!

Ohhhhh that's my field! Maybe this will bring me good news...

I notice you're in Portland--I did my BA at Portland State. Were you in the English dept.? I loved my experience at PSU! Feel free to DM me if you wanna connect. And best of luck wherever you choose, lo.lee.ta.

If you are turning down UW-Madison, please do as soon as you can and let us know! I am repeating softcastlemccormick's imperative! :)

Just fyi, I went to University of SC for undergrad and majored in English and I love that department with my whole heart. It is a wonderful, wonderful place.