Oxford applicants

Kleene

This was the reply I got when I asked about funding - "I’m afraid all the departmental funding nominations have already been decided. You could look at the Fees and Funding section of the University Website but I doubt very much that anything will be available."

After asking her about funding again, this was the reply I got- "I can also confirm that there is no available funding from the department."

I know there are 3 kinds of funding. University-wide, College, and departmental funding. I am under the assumption that to qualify for all 3, is based on the nomination given by the department.

I am quite confused by her replies. Does the first reply mean that it is still possible that I am one of the nominated and to wait like everyone else? Does the second reply imply that while I have no more chance for departmental funding, I am still in the running for other funding? Or simply if I don't manage to get one, they don't have any extra money to spare?

Or..does it just mean to forget it, I ain't getting funding.

Please help decipher the replies. I am going crazy pouring over what they could possibly mean.

PS: She is not too friendly.

PPS: I haven't been assigned a college.

Before April 15th I hope?

Research councils give the results at this date and most of other funding bodies have matched their schedule on them. As you're from Malaysia, your funding options are different - and sadly limited.

Just wait until the beginning of April. Then, if you still haven't heard anything, email them again and tell them that you have a deadline for a scholarship in the USA and ask if they can give you the result in advance.

You should also contact Purdue and tell them that you are waiting for a decision from Oxford and if they can give you an extra week to decide.

This was the reply I got when I asked about funding - "I’m afraid all the departmental funding nominations have already been decided. You could look at the Fees and Funding section of the University Website but I doubt very much that anything will be available."

After asking her about funding again, this was the reply I got- "I can also confirm that there is no available funding from the department."

I know there are 3 kinds of funding. University-wide, College, and departmental funding. I am under the assumption that to qualify for all 3, is based on the nomination given by the department.

I am quite confused by her replies. Does the first reply mean that it is still possible that I am one of the nominated and to wait like everyone else? Does the second reply imply that while I have no more chance for departmental funding, I am still in the running for other funding? Or simply if I don't manage to get one, they don't have any extra money to spare?

Or..does it just mean to forget it, I ain't getting funding.

Please help decipher the replies. I am going crazy pouring over what they could possibly mean.

PS: She is not too friendly.

PPS: I haven't been assigned a college.

lol, you posted the same message on TSR. :P I answered you there.

There isn't a lot of bursaries for masters, and funding is limited for internationals...

However she didn't say that you haven't been shortlisted for funding. She just said that the department doesn't give bursaries. Departments sometimes don't tell who have been shortlisted.

Confirmed that I won't get a Clarendon Scholarship. And since my college doesn't have any scholarships I'm eligible for, it seems I'm heading to Cambridge...

Confirmed that I won't get a Clarendon Scholarship. And since my college doesn't have any scholarships I'm eligible for, it seems I'm heading to Cambridge...

Because you got funding for Cambridge, or do you simply prefer Cambridge? :)

Feanor - how did you find out about Clarendon?

I've been accepted for DPhil in History and was told funding decisions would be made by "mid-April".

In any case it depends on your department. Some people were already awarded (or possibly nominated with guaranteed funding if they didn't get it) in February. Also, people are usually informed only if they got funding, or applied for some funding that requires a separate application, so you might have to inquire. Not everyone will be equally willing to share whether you are nominated or not, though. Fortunately, my department was very helpful in keeping me updated on all the funding nominations.

Edited by Kleene

I've been accepted for DPhil in History and was told funding decisions would be made by "mid-April".

Clarendon is divided into "divisions" that match Oxford faculties. Sciences applicants always know before Arts and Humanities. I think this is because the funding schedule is dictated by the research councils, and the AHRC works slowly.

Still three weeks to wait. :angry:

Hey guys, just a quick question about the HEFCE fund. My friend (who also has a conditional offer for the MSt, but in science rather than the history faculty) received an email yesterday asking her to apply for the HEFCE bursary, but I have yet to receive an email although I'm eligible. Do you know if this means the university aren't considering me for one? Do they send the emails out at the same time? Both of us applied before the January deadline btw, although I only got my offer last week and accepted it yesterday, whereas she got hers/did it over a month ago.

I made an open application to Oxford and was accepted at Christ's College in Cambridge. Well, the college is certainly a factor, but funding is much more important at this point... I won't make any decisions until I have full information.

Christ's is a beautiful and friendly college, I knew an MPhil student who studied there and absolutely loved it! Apparently the now have a Costa in their buttery as well...

I asked the Graduate Students Assistant at my Institute and she confirmed they could only put forward two applicants for the Clarendon and that I wasn't one of them.

Because you got funding for Cambridge, or do you simply prefer Cambridge?  :)

Well, I was pretty on the fence regarding the Cambridge vs Oxford matter, but college-wise I think Christ's is a better fit. They have a considerable number of mathematicians working on fields of my interest (including a Category Theorist) and chances are I'll have lectures with two of them, whilst St. Edmund has two mathematician fellows and they work with Graph Theory and Geometry/PDEs. Besides, there are three possibilities I might get at least some funding in Christ's and none at St. Edmund. So, I still might get some funding in Cambridge (be it from the College or the Cambridge Trust) while I certainly won't get any in Oxford, but I think college placement was what tipped the scales. Too bad, I wish I could go to both places  :unsure:

I applied to the MPhil Economics and MSc Economics for Development, and have been accepted for the MSc. No details on funding yet though and the timeline is really not working out for my other programs. I've been asked to reply by March 31st or April 2nd by my other schools (Canadian) and I don't want to turn them down and then find out I can't afford Oxford after all, but at the same time i don't want to accept one of the Canadian schools and then find out I actually could have afforded Oxford. Such a tough dilemma, I don't understand why Oxford and Cambridge (accepted there as well) are able to give me such a long time to respond while the Canadian schools want responses in two weeks or less. Anyone else in a similar position?

I made an open application to Oxford and was accepted at Christ's College in Cambridge. Well, the college is certainly a factor, but funding is much more important at this point... I won't make any decisions until I have full information.

I was also accepted to Christ's College in Cambridge! Cambridge seems to be much faster at notifying applicants than Oxford has been...I received my admission offer in late January/early February and my college offer in late February. Oxford has only just let me know about my admission three days ago (end of March) and colleges probably won't notify until April at the earliest.

I just wish they'd declare the funding earlier....Canadian schools require an accept by April 1st and I'm stuck trying to figure out whether i should just accept the canadian schools and forget oxford, or to decline the canuck schools and risk having a zero-funded oxford degree that i'd be in deep, deep debt for. 

Can't you ask the Canadian institutions for a little more time? Also, are you expecting a college scholarship in Oxford or just the Clarendon? You could try asking your department to find out whether you've been put forward for a Clarendon or not.

And why not Cambridge? :P Did they confirm you won't get any funds?

Can't you ask the Canadian institutions for a little more time? Also, are you expecting a college scholarship in Oxford or just the Clarendon? You could try asking your department to find out whether you've been put forward for a Clarendon or not.

And why not Cambridge? :P Did they confirm you won't get any funds?

I already did ask the canadian schools for more time :( They extended my deadline from march 22 to march 31, but they said they can't extend the offers much longer. 

And i'm not really expecting the clarendon to be honest, but even just a smaller award would be enough for me to go. i've decided that if i get funding of at least 10,000 pounds i'll do it. problem is that the awards aren't given out until april or may

oh also forgot to answer your question on cambridge. cambridge was for the development studies mphil and i don't think i'd want to spend that much money on that. the oxford msc econ for development would at least be more employable. 

The update is appreciated. I wasn't exactly holding my breath for a Clarendon (as indicated earlier in the thread), but it seems that they've informed everybody from the MFoCS who got one already by what you received.

True to the forum heading, I'm still waiting it out for the results of the main funding opportunity I'm targeting. The time window is supposed to be "early April", so it's getting into crazy time. It'd be too much to ask, I suppose, for them to have it done by Wednesday.

Any English M.St applicants out there still waiting to hear back?

I applied to English and American Studies as well as English Language and Literature (1830-1914). I understand there may be some problem with the new online application system and on top of this the department will be off for part of this week? 

I've emailed just to confirm that my applications are being assessed and also attempted to call, but so far no luck connecting on either front. I'm not really in a rush and Oxford is the only place I have applied to, but with applications historically being assessed this past week I am getting nervous. Additionally it seems that Oxford tends to send out the majority of acceptances before rejections, but then again even the number of those reported thus far on the board are comparatively quite low from past years. 

Is calling the best option or should I just sit tight? I don't want to bother anyone during such a busy time for then, but I just hope if they are having problems with the system, I haven't been dropped off the radar because of it!

Now that my process is over, I figured it would be helpful to provide a timeline. I applied for an MSt in Latin and/or Greek Languages and Literature, and submitted my application before January 23. (I'm an American student. I applied to a couple American fellowships, but they fell through and I figured it was worth applying to Oxford itself.) I was accepted via email at the beginning of March, and was offered college placement a couple of weeks later with no funding. Because I'm considering american programs (with a decision deadline of April 15), I emailed the DGS to ask about my funding status. On Friday, he told me that the department had recommended me for a scholarship, and I received the official offer yesterday.

Awesome, congratulations Rainbow Dash (?). Was it a college scholarship? Or just April's fool?

In order: 

1. Twilight Sparkle, xD
  2. Technically it's a "University wide" scholarship, but it's specific to a particular region. I don't know that it would be proper etiquette to say specifically which one publicly until some time later- the sponsors did a press release last year. 
  3. I read the email very carefully to make sure that it wasn't, though anybody who went to those kinds of lengths to prank me wouldn't be my friend for very long.