Oxford applicants

Kleene

Has anyone else applied for the MSt in International Human Rights Law?

I applied in November, but sadly, there was some sort of glitch where 2/3 my recommenders had to send their letters multiple times and so my application was not officially completed until early March. :(  Has anyone heard of funding magically happening for people who went complete after January?

Best of luck to everyone.  I will be over the moon, if I make it into this program.  Everything about it seems a dream come true. 

Side note: the college application process was a bit confusing for me. :ph34r:   I ended up applying at Wolfson, and hope that wasn't a bad course of action.

Has anyone else applied for the MSt in International Human Rights Law?

I applied in November, but sadly, there was some sort of glitch where 2/3 my recommenders had to send their letters multiple times and so my application was not officially completed until early March. :(  Has anyone heard of funding magically happening for people who went complete after January?

Best of luck to everyone.  I will be over the moon, if I make it into this program.  Everything about it seems a dream come true. 

Side note: the college application process was a bit confusing for me. :ph34r:   I ended up applying at Wolfson, and hope that wasn't a bad course of action.

I wouldn't like to go there as it is so far from the centre and I despise Brutalist architecture. However, they apparently have the best bar of the university. :P

Seriously, the good point with Wolfson is that all the rooms are on-site, whilst most of the colleges have to accommodate their students on the outskirts of the university.

I drew a map about the colleges:

Ox_colleges2.jpg

Hi guys,

I'm new here & glad I've found this forum.

I applied to Msc in CS in Oxford (deadline of 13th of March). I recieved few days later 4 questions to answer.

However, I didn't get invitation for interview.

Anyone here who applied for the same deadline to CS, got interview? Or anyone who had interview for CS can share details?

Regarding scholarships, unfortunately I've applied late and missed most of the scholarships deadline. But luckily, there's a new scholarship for Israelis - Frost scholarship (full one) which was advertised only in the mid of March.

I hope for best, good luck all :rolleyes:

Lina

I just received an email that my first choice college (merton) is unable to accept me.

Does anyone know how long it takes for another college to consider you? At this point, are all the "popular" colleges filled?

Thank you!

I think colleges want to have a good balance of subject/gender/nationality, so your "strength" or the college's reputation are not that relevant because there are many other factors. You must also match the fellows' interests.

I read stories of people being reallocated to Christ Church or New, whilst they had applied to less famous colleges.

Thank you for your map and input, Cpt Jo. Luckily, *if* I do get accepted, then I would actually stay at New College, regardless of which college I was accepted into, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see. 

This wait is so stressful, and I am afraid to email them for fear it will make them push my application in the trashbin!  :unsure:  :huh:  :ph34r:

Thank you for your map and input, Cpt Jo. Luckily, *if* I do get accepted, then I would actually stay at New College, regardless of which college I was accepted into, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see. 

This wait is so stressful, and I am afraid to email them for fear it will make them push my application in the trashbin!  :unsure:  :huh:  :ph34r:

I'm afraid of the answer if I ask. :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure: 

Not sure if I should post this here, but is anyone who is pursuing a masters struggling with the financial commitment? I'm still waiting on college placement and (maybe) a scholarship offer (that's how it works, right? :P).

Not sure if I should post this here, but is anyone who is pursuing a masters struggling with the financial commitment? I'm still waiting on college placement and (maybe) a scholarship offer (that's how it works, right? :P).

Hmm, struggling in what way? In any case, if your course offer is similar to mine you have until June or later to submit your financial committment. In terms of time it should be an ample gap between when the college gets back to you (hopefully soon? I'm still waiting as well) and when the committment is due.

FWIW -- just heard my funding offer from Oxford. Zilch. Zip. Nada. No funding whatsoever. 

At least that makes my decision easier. 

All successful or shortlisted applicants for funding (Research councils, Clarendon, Wolfson, and Ertegun) have been contacted. If not, you won't have any of these awards. :(

The Weidenfeld is still pending, but I'm not eligible.

See the situation here for History and Humanities: https://weblearn.ox.ac.uk/access/content/group/e862de08-70ab-4873-8dec-f493382c969a/Scholarships/funding_progress.html

College awards are our last hope of funding, but most of them are offered in conjunction with research councils/Clarendon. :angry:  I still have two possibilities in my field, and one in my division, but it seems unlikely. I will probably not go to Oxford. :( :( :(

Edited by Cpt Jo

Hmm, struggling in what way? In any case, if your course offer is similar to mine you have until June or later to submit your financial committment. In terms of time it should be an ample gap between when the college gets back to you (hopefully soon? I'm still waiting as well) and when the committment is due.

I mean justifying getting a graduate degree (masters, in my case) from Oxford with no, or very little, funding. I think I'm going to decline, but it's hard to turn down Oxford. I suppose it certainly depends on your field. Going unfunded in the humanities (my case) seems like a bad idea.

Seems like Cpt Jo is in a similar boat.

Edited by tsgriffey

I mean justifying getting a graduate degree (masters, in my case) from Oxford with no, or very little, funding. I think I'm going to decline, but it's hard to turn down Oxford. I suppose it certainly depends on your field. Going unfunded in the humanities (my case) seems like a bad idea.

Ah, I feel you. Sorry, I somehow totally misread "financial commitment" from the conventional meaning because of Oxford's (delightfully?) stilted application language. 

I was in the same boat while biting my nails waiting for news on the funding I was targeting. Even after pouring over the different options, I just couldn't get it to work out given their incredibly expensive international tuition rate. But man I was really prepared to be disappointed for exactly the same reason you're referencing. "How can you get into Oxford and then turn them down!" said a little voice in my head. The way I looked at it with all the numbers on the table, the amount in loans that I would have had to take out to make it work would have completely ruined any joy I got out of the experience in the first place. It could very well be a "good" investment in the raw financial sense. Your increased earnings over a lifetime might break just exactly even or put you ahead. But in reality, paying off that increased financial burden in the mean time will be a club over your head for years. 

Of course maybe your financial situation is substantially different! Those were my thoughts on it, though. 

I don't think it's that hard to get an offer from Oxford in the Humanities. See the stats for last year in History (pp. 5-6): https://weblearn.ox.ac.uk/access/content/group/e862de08-70ab-4873-8dec-f493382c969a/noticeboard/gjcc_latest_minutes.pdf

There were 268 applications for a PhD in History (+Art and Medicine) and 167 offers. Admission rate: 62%.

There were 667 applications for a Master in History (+Art and Medicine) and 338 offers. Admission rate: 51%.

However:

30 PhD offers were funded; funding/offers=18%

24 masters were funded; funding/offers=7%

The real selection is made by funding. The department accept anybody filling the requirements and let the funding committees do the dirty job. This is the standard procedure in the UK for the humanities. I have been accepted in four of the top schools there, but I am already rejected for funding by three of them. This is cruel.

Edited by Cpt Jo

How competitive is Nuffield? Anyone know how many scholarships the politics department gives out? I won't be attending without a scholarship so I am waiting to see....

How competitive is Nuffield? Anyone know how many scholarships the politics department gives out? I won't be attending without a scholarship so I am waiting to see....

It's the smallest college, and perhaps the most reputed in Social Sciences... I'm afraid that most funding decisions are already made. You might still have a chance with your (generous) college scholarships though.

Thank you! The department awards are out too? I thought just the university wide scholarships had been announced...

Departments only make shortlists of their most impressive applicants, then send them to the funding committees. If you haven't heard anything from the Clarendon fund or other agencies, it means that you are unsuccessful.

Edited by Cpt Jo

Anyone applied to CS Msc and had interview?

I have interview next week and would like to hear someone who had it already.

Very worried :(

I don't think it's that hard to get an offer from Oxford in the Humanities. See the stats for last year in History (pp. 5-6): https://weblearn.ox.ac.uk/access/content/group/e862de08-70ab-4873-8dec-f493382c969a/noticeboard/gjcc_latest_minutes.pdf

There were 268 applications for a PhD in History (+Art and Medicine) and 167 offers. Admission rate: 62%.

There were 667 applications for a Master in History (+Art and Medicine) and 338 offers. Admission rate: 51%.

However:

30 PhD offers were funded; funding/offers=18%

24 masters were funded; funding/offers=7%

The real selection is made by funding. The department accept anybody filling the requirements and let the funding committees do the dirty job. This is the standard procedure in the UK for the humanities. I have been accepted in four of the top schools there, but I am already rejected for funding by three of them. This is cruel.

My program accepts 30 people out of about 230 applicants...makes it harder to turn it down :(