Realistic shot at top 6 programs next year given results this year?

rolltheeurydice

I know the application results are far from over, but I’ve applied to couple of top programs this year and haven’t heard back, so I assume I was rejected. The rankings for my field (psychology) are similar to “overall” rankings, so when I say top programs I mean Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley, etc.

This year, I applied to around 7 schools, all of which were mostly in the top 20 of the rankings. I was (presumably) rejected from the ones in the top 6 I applied to, but got an interview from one in the 6-10 range, and “almost” got an interview from another in the 6-10 range (was told that I wasn’t due to changes in funding).

I have a decent (~3.7) undergrad GPA in an unrelated technical field. I will have ~4.0 in a master’s program in my field. I have a solid and balanced GRE (unlikely to not meet an arbitrary cutoff; e.g., at or above the average GRE that Berkeley reported for its 2014 class). I have no publications, but about 2 years research experience (not counting grad school). By next year I will most likely have 1-2 publications.

My main weaknesses I think were: well-written but somewhat unfocused SOPs, solid but not incredible LORs, relative lack of undergraduate experience in the field (not sure if this matters much), and lack of publications. If I reapply next year, I will make my SOPs extremely tailored and ensure the fit is very good, spend more time talking with my referees about applications (they will have known me for longer, as well), and will mostly have a publication.

Given these changes and my somewhat decent results this year, do I have a real shot at the absolute top programs, or if they didn’t accept me this year they are unlikely to ever accept me?

Again, looking at Berkeley (only because they have the easiest to find statistics), 385 non-clinical people applied and 25 were accepted. Making the assumption that maybe half of the applicants aren’t really that competitive, that’s still 192 people and 25 spots.

To the best of my knowledge, and as countless people in this forum have mentioned in past threads- whether or not you get in has way more to do with fit than with "objective" measures. You can have a 170/170/6.00 GRE with a 3.97 GPA and 3 publications and still not get into Harvard if you don't fit the research interests of your potential POI and vice versa. From my (limited) experience, programs are good at reading between the lines and see whether a certain applicant will be a good fit or not. If I were in your position, I would focus my attention on certain POIs and direct my research efforts next year towards their work.

This is the impression I got too (and of course, even with great fit there is no guarantee). I guess I'm just wondering if the shortcomings of my application are such that even with excellent fit, anyone interested in making a case for me to the committee wouldn't be able to convince them. I forgot to mention that I'm also an international student (which is a huge disadvantage for public schools like Berkeley it seems). My GRE is 162V/160Q/5.5, and again, I have no publications but optimistically might have 1 by next year (most people I see who are successful on the results page have higher GREs and more publications). Even with excellent fit, my suspicion is that those raw facts will hold me back, but I'm not sure.

Edited by rolltheeurydice

The international thing is a problem in and of itself because of funding (not just to public schools but also to private ones since a lot of their fellowship money also comes from federal resources). In addition to focusing your research, I would also try and see if you can secure outside funding.

Good luck!

The international thing is a problem in and of itself because of funding (not just to public schools but also to private ones since a lot of their fellowship money also comes from federal resources). In addition to focusing your research, I would also try and see if you can secure outside funding.

Good luck!

Of these federal resources, how many are military in nature? Or otherwise are sensitive from a national security standpoint?