Second-time Applicants?

This will be my first year applying to grad programs, but I'm seriously stressing about not getting in anywhere!! :unsure:  I think I've heard one too many horror stories regarding rejections and I'm becoming completely paranoid! haha  For those of you that are second-time applicants, would you mind sharing your stats? Did any of you complete a post-bacc to fulfill  the prereq courses or no?

I had to retake the GRE. V152   Q141  AW 4.0 

GPA post-bacc 3.53 for SLP    However, i took two SLP classes as a non matriculated graduate student. I hope that will have some pull because I did good in the classes.

Do you think graduate classes make a difference? I took a couple of SLP graduate classes as well and got A's in them. This is my first year applying as well. Although my AW score is good, I may retake the GRE. I've only taken it once and I'd like to get  high 150s or 160s for the verbal.

Do you think graduate classes make a difference? I took a couple of SLP graduate classes as well and got A's in them. This is my first year applying as well. Although my AW score is good, I may retake the GRE. I've only taken it once and I'd like to get  high 150s or 160s for the verbal.

Actually, this is my second year applying to graduate school. I took the grad SLP classes after being denied admission. I've reapplied to the same school I took the grad courses and obtained a LOR from one of my grad professors. I hope it does make a difference. This was my third time taking the GRE. I hope it was my last! I can't seem to do well in the quantitative portion.

This is my second go around as well. I applied to five schools last year and I'd say they were mostly reach schools. I got one waitlist at least, although no one was accepted off the waitlist. I feel much more prepared this year but I still don't feel confident 24/7. It's a competitive program so we just have to try our best. I'm trying not to get too anxious about it but since I applied to 10 schools this time I think I've got a chance at a couple at least.

I majored in ComD so I'm not sure if I could've done a post-bac. I knew I had room for improvement on the GRE so I studied hard and retook it. My original GRE stats were 155V, 155Q, and 4AW. I improved where it really counts (verbal/AW) and got 162V, 155Q, and 5AW this time. Obviously the GPA can't be changed too much at this stage of the game so if you have to reapply, just try to boost the other areas as much as possible. I was able to intern briefly with an SLP at my undergrad's clinic and I've been super lucky to work in the speech technology field with the SmartPalate (palatometer). I capitalized on those experiences in my SOP so I'm hoping it'll be enough. I also tried to research my schools better with a mix of reach schools and safety schools. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I am almost resigned that I will need to retake the GRE. My scores are not horrible, but they definitely are not going to help me. I did not study as much for the verbal section, so hopefully that area can be improved upon since it seems to be one of the most important. I'll probably find a college student to help me prepare for the quant section, since math is more challenging for me.

Ugh, good luck everyone. March is almost here!

I got waitlisted/rejected first time around from the only school I applied to  - GRE V160, Q154, 4.5. GPA 3.34. Returning student.

I took all the prereqs at USU, brought my GPA up to 3.41 by getting all As. And got into the first choice school this time, just by getting those As - nothing else changed. Only heard from the one school so far, but it's the most competative of the ones I applied to.

Congratulations MonicaSLP! Glad your hard work paid off!  :)

I got waitlisted/rejected first time around from the only school I applied to  - GRE V160, Q154, 4.5. GPA 3.34. Returning student.

I took all the prereqs at USU, brought my GPA up to 3.41 by getting all As. And got into the first choice school this time, just by getting those As - nothing else changed. Only heard from the one school so far, but it's the most competative of the ones I applied to.

Wow, congrats!!  :D

Hey I haven't applied anywhere yet, so sorry for crashing the post.  I just wanted to point out that it seems like you cast a pretty wide net in terms of number of applications and "competitiveness" of schools.  It seems like a wide range of hard to get into and good chances as well.  

I know this is probably impossible right now and will most likely feel the same way in the future, but I would relax at this point.  You haven't gotten a single rejection or any news so considering it is barely March don't stress yet!  No rejections is good news think of that for the time being :)

Edited by CBG321

Hey I haven't applied anywhere yet, so sorry for crashing the post.  I just wanted to point out that it seems like you cast a pretty wide net in terms of number of applications and "competitiveness" of schools.  It seems like a wide range of hard to get into and good chances as well.  

I know this is probably impossible right now and will most likely feel the same way in the future, but I would relax at this point.  You haven't gotten a single rejection or any news so considering it is barely March don't stress yet!  No rejections is good news think of that for the time being :)

Awww, thanks for your kind words! And you're right, no news is still good news at this point!  :)

This is my second year applying, but I made the mistake of only applying to one school--which only accepted around 10% of applicants--last year. (I did my post-bacc online at USU--you can see my stats below). This year, I was planning to cast a wider net and apply to at least four programs. Luckily, I got my acceptance to CSUN (online) before the deadlines for two of the other schools I was planning on applying to (ISU and JMU online), so I ended up only applying to two--CSUN and ECU. All that said, I agree with CBG321--the fact that you applied to a lot of schools definitely will help your chances of getting into one. :) Good luck!

Edited by laurengreen1

This is my second year applying, but I made the mistake of only applying to one school--which only accepted around 10% of applicants--last year. (I did my post-bacc online at USU--you can see my stats below). This year, I was planning to cast a wider net and apply to at least four programs. Luckily, I got my acceptance to CSUN (online) before the deadlines for two of the other schools I was planning on applying to (ISU and JMU online), so I ended up only applying to two--CSUN and ECU. All that said, I agree with CBG321--the fact that you applied to a lot of schools definitely will help your chances of getting into one. :) Good luck!

Thanks so much for the support and congrats on getting into CSUN's program. :D  One of the girls from my post-bacc cohort was accepted into the online program there as well and she's super excited about it. Good luck with everything to you as well. 

Second year applicant. 3.25 GPA 3.63 CSD GPA. GRE: 144V 145Q 4.0 AW (Scheduled to retake but Grandpa passed away and funeral was the day of my test) Research experience with PhD student, tons of volunteer experience, NSSHLA member in school, with work experience including being the director of a day care program and a summer camp counselor for school aged children.

Currently, I am a special education assistant in an elementary school. Very strong letters of recommendation. I had an interview with one school, and wait-listed to another. Waiting to hear back from three more schools. I'm praying that this year will be my year!

Edited by ohioslp2b

• 9 months later...

Any advice for re-writing your personal statement for the second time around? Of course I am going to put the relevant experience I had during my year of waiting, but what else? Do you write in your statement that this is your second time applying? Exactly how much should you change?

I did not mention it was my second year applying. It's just not really necessary to me especially with a word limit. I revamped mine quite a bit and I had a lot of new information to add. I also only reapplied to two schools and the rest were new so I had to start from scratch in some respects. I really focused on my relevant info and what I learned, as well as aspects of that school that made me want to go there. It must've worked because I got in this year. If you want someone to look over yours for specific advice Id be happy to help. I traded with someone on here last year. Just shoot me a message.