PhD in Mechanical Engineering Fall 2015

waitwhat?

^ With you right there! I emailed a POI from Princeton about when we'll hear back, hopefully he has some answers. Although from last year's trends, most decisions come out around mid-Feb.

Been in touch with a prof. from Yale as well. Submitted a recommendation on my behalf to his department, which he claimed was a 'necessary but not sufficient requirement.' Really scares me to think if I hadn't reached out to him. :blink:

Got an invite to visit Columbia today! Also planning to visit UCSB by invitation on the 20th. Anyone heard back from similar schools?

Edited by RideTheLightning469

Visiting GeorgiaTech, Illinois, Michigan and Cornell. 

Waiting on MIT, Berkeley and Stanford.  Obviously missed first rounds, because I know of others who are going.  I don’t think any rejects have gone out yet, so that’s good.

Did Cornell send out acceptances last week?

I got an email from Cornell on Friday 2/6/15 and I am visiting March 6 and 7.  They gave me a deadline of today (2/11/15) to reply yes or no to the visit. So maybe more invites will go out tomorrow...

Edited by waitwhat?

Just heard back from a POI at Princeton! Says I have been admitted by the department, official information to come on Feb. 16th!!! :D

To the post above me, I heard back from UCSB at the beginning of this month, interviewed by someone in the PhD department and invited to visit this 20th.

Edited by RideTheLightning469

To the post above me, I heard back from UCSB at the beginning of this month, interviewed by someone in the PhD department and invited to visit this 20th.

By invited to visit, do you mean you have been admitted? If so, do you have an idea about how many have been admitted? I didn't see any posts on UCSB (ME) in the results survey.

By invited to visit, do you mean you have been admitted? If so, do you have an idea about how many have been admitted? I didn't see any posts on UCSB (ME) in the results survey.

I was interviewed by someone in the department via video call, then immediately after that I was invited to visit campus. There wasn't any mention of admission, just the fact that they were really impressed with my application. I applied for a Master's at UCSB, but was invited to the PhD department. :wacko:

A friend told me that UCSB takes in very few Master's students and usually try to recruit more PhD students. So that explains the above. I have no idea how many have been admitted though. I would wait and hope for the best since they are still recruiting and there are two separate visitation days.

Princeton people, prepare your asses for Feb. 16th. I expect that's when we'll hear back regarding some admissions, including my (official) one. Lol I hope there wasn't any mistake with mine. XD

Update: I also received official admission to Yale. :D I was kind of expecting it though after such a good conversation with a POI. Good luck to everyone with admissions! I can say that what I believe got me in to both Princeton and Yale are my research fits. No 4.00 GPA, perfect GRE scores, first-author publications, Master's degrees (lol cause I have none of that). Make your intent clear in your statement of purpose about why you're such a good fit for the school and contact professors about it.

Also got notice of admission for University of Washington (Aero) and University of Connecticut (MechE) So relieved...

Did they give you a deadline to respond to your visit request too?

Yes, by the 13th of this month. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw several admits of Caltech ME last month.

Apply: Berkeley, Cornell, Harvard, Stanford, Caltech(aero), Princeton, MIT

Admission: Berkeley, Cornell, Harvard, Stanford, Caltech(aero) 

Rejects: MIT, Princeton

Also those who have got admits from Berkeley but don't want to join, could you please reject the offer early? We know (from last year) that Berkeley is waiting to send the remaining decisions only because of you. Last year, it was sending decisions as late as 14-15 April. Thanks a lot in advance.