Value of M.Sc. GPA vs undergrad GPA

NonparametricBananas

Hi everyone -- I was just skimming over some admissions requirements for a few applications that are due in the coming weeks and was wondering about the value of an advanced degree vs an undergrad degree. I'm currently working on my master's (research-based with some coursework). The GPA requirements or "we usually accept people with GPA of 3.x and above" don't detail anything on the value of a graduate degree as opposed to the undergrad degree. 

My cumulative GPA for my undergrad isn't as strong as I'd like and thankfully, many schools consider only the last two years, but I just wanted to figure out how my master's will play into my application re: grades.

Thanks!

I had only a 3.25 undergrad GPA but I have a 4.0 MS GPA, great LORs, lots of research, solid GRE scores, etc. You can see how my application season is going in my signature. I applied to 10 schools. Of the 10, 8 do interviews. I was invited to 6 of the 8 interviews. Of the 2 that don't interview, I have been accepted to 1 so far.

Basically, if your undergrad GPA is only negative in your application then you should be fine as long as it meets the requirements of the overall grad school (which is usually 3.0). If you're a bit below that then it gets harder but is still possible. I think that my MS gpa and high gre scores show the programs that I can handle the course work. Im convinced that my LORs have been the major selling point of my application. I say this because I have formed strong connections with professors in my department and I recently received an email from a POI which actually mentioned that I come very highly recommended.

Apply for the schools that are the best research fit and if your application is solid other than the undergrad GPA then I'm sure you'll do fine.

I had only a 3.25 undergrad GPA but I have a 4.0 MS GPA, great LORs, lots of research, solid GRE scores, etc. You can see how my application season is going in my signature. I applied to 10 schools. Of the 10, 8 do interviews. I was invited to 6 of the 8 interviews. Of the 2 that don't interview, I have been accepted to 1 so far.

Basically, if your undergrad GPA is only negative in your application then you should be fine as long as it meets the requirements of the overall grad school (which is usually 3.0). If you're a bit below that then it gets harder but is still possible. I think that my MS gpa and high gre scores show the programs that I can handle the course work. Im convinced that my LORs have been the major selling point of my application. I say this because I have formed strong connections with professors in my department and I recently received an email from a POI which actually mentioned that I come very highly recommended.

Apply for the schools that are the best research fit and if your application is solid other than the undergrad GPA then I'm sure you'll do fine.

Thank you for the great response! I believe I have a solid application on account of a robust research and teaching history, as well as what appear to be strong LoRs (according to the profs who wrote them) and a strong statement as well. GRE scores aren't great but they're not bad -- I'd say they're average-good. I hope that and hugely identical research interests with my POI will help push me forward. 

I pretty much had the same experience when I applied last year.

Hi everyone -- I was just skimming over some admissions requirements for a few applications that are due in the coming weeks and was wondering about the value of an advanced degree vs an undergrad degree. I'm currently working on my master's (research-based with some coursework). The GPA requirements or "we usually accept people with GPA of 3.x and above" don't detail anything on the value of a graduate degree as opposed to the undergrad degree. 

My cumulative GPA for my undergrad isn't as strong as I'd like and thankfully, many schools consider only the last two years, but I just wanted to figure out how my master's will play into my application re: grades.

Thanks!

I've seen several schools that mention Graduate GPA (but they expect it to be higher than undergrad, so if the minimum UGPA is 3.0, the minimum Grad GPA could be 3.5). 

Since your courses in graduate school will have the prefix of your major (whereas your undergrad had lots of irrelevant classes like History or British literature) I feel like graduate GPA is a more accurate view on how well you would do in... well... graduate school. So they would expect it to be better as that is your focus. This is probably why some schools take your last 60 credit hours instead of your entire cumulative GPA  as your last 60 are usually upper electives in your major.

Anyway, if your most current work in your MS is good I can't believe admissions would go "yeah Nonparameticbananas is doing great currently in their major for their MS, but look at what happened years ago in irrelevant classes, is that a B in Art History?"

Seriously though, stop making undergrads take Humanities.

Edited by <ian>

I don't know how much this is true outside of my current institution but I'm in a funded MS chemistry program (thesis based) at a school that also grants PhDs. The director of our graduate program, and all the profs on our committee have all told me "no one gives a shit about your undergraduate degree once you get a graduate degree. Your thesis and research skills are all they'll care about now that you'll have a masters degree" (actual verbatim quote from the director of our department). But I had a 3.74 UG and a 4.0 MS with high GREs so I don't know if they meant that exclusively for my record or in general for someone who may not have as high an UG gpa.

I don't know how much this is true outside of my current institution but I'm in a funded MS chemistry program (thesis based) at a school that also grants PhDs. The director of our graduate program, and all the profs on our committee have all told me "no one gives a shit about your undergraduate degree once you get a graduate degree. Your thesis and research skills are all they'll care about now that you'll have a masters degree" (actual verbatim quote from the director of our department). But I had a 3.74 UG and a 4.0 MS with high GREs so I don't know if they meant that exclusively for my record or in general for someone who may not have as high an UG gpa.

I've heard that before as well -- one of the POIs I applied to work with mentioned that when she sits on adcomms, they pretty much look at GPA and GRE as minor formalities just to say that you can read and write and the rest is focused on research experience and the like. I hope that is true of the programs I've applied to and will be applying to!