Small "thank you" gift ideas for letter writers?

sjoh197

As the acceptances and rejections begin to roll in, I would like to get some some small thank you gifts for my LOR writers. They have all asked me to let them know how everything goes, acceptance wise. I figured if I get in somewhere, I would let them know, and maybe give them something small, and of course professional, just to say thanks. 

Is this weird?

Does anyone have any good ideas?

I got all my letter writers a card with photos of puppies on the front. Once I decide where I'm going I'll mail each LOR write a card with a personalized note thanking them for their time and letting them know that I'll be attending X school and could not have done it without their support and guidance.

There are a ton of threads about this -- try a quick search under the "Applications" and "Letters of Recommendation" forums.

I struggled with this for a while and settled on Starbucks gift cards simply because all of my LRs are no longer driving distance from me. In the mail they went, with a small thank you card!

• 6 years later...

Thank-you notes don't have to be tied and in the air. It's okay to thank the person and say a few words about the gift. Praise doesn't have to be grand; Depending on how close you are to that person, you can point out a positive quality or how you can put it to use. Usually, you can find something to say about the strange gift, even if you intend to return it right away.

• 1 month later...

Regardless of their title, all authors of recommendation letters provide you with valuable help by expressing their trust in you and a desire to learn more about you. Professors are familiar with your academic profile, so it is common and essential to have their letters. In addition, others in the community can learn about your critical extracurricular interests and involvements and your circumstances, which can help you become a more fulfilling and healthy person. Help.
I believe a thank you card in the mail noting the proposed support, together with a proposal for an update and a small but significant token of appreciation, would be welcomed.
Professors are also human beings, preferred and possibly ... and I believe that sharing, nurturing, receiving, and teaching, regardless of the amount of each graduate, will be a somewhat pleasant charity. Perhaps it Would be a valuable gift. It demonstrates the invaluable value of growing through the medium. Do not go anywhere without a student or professor.