are GRA stipends negotiable ??

csStudent

Hi Guys, 

I was offered a GRA position with a stipend 1700/m from a university in Kansas state,

and i would like to know if i can asks the proff if he can increase the stipends, as I am married and have a child , and i am not sure if the offered amount will be enough to bring my family with me??

But I do not know , of it is ok , or command to do that , or if that will give a band indication about me?.

Furthermore, i do not know if such offers are negotiable in general or not?

It depends on a number of things, but I think that you chances of successful negotiation are slim.  Computer science might have more clout than my field (anthropology), but in my experience stipends and GRA positions are normally competitive in graduate programs.  Also, admittance into graduate programs are highly competitive.  That said, if you are unsatisfied with the stipend offered they could simply go with another candidate who would be satisfied with it, although I am hard pressed to see how 20,400 a year is a livable income (assuming that 1700/m is for a full 12 months and not a 8-9 month academic year).  

Your best bet would be if you have been offered a different GRA position in a different program, and using that as a starting point or leverage.  Either that or ask your adviser if there is financial aid available for families or supplementary grants and scholarships you could apply for.  Best of luck.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Look for past threads on this topic. Some departments (like my PhD department) give everyone the same stipend and the only way to get more money is to be awarded an external fellowship. Others are more likely to negotiate. 

In addition to what rising_star said, I would not ask for a higher GRA stipend because GRA rates are often set university-wide or by some other standard. I would just ask in general if there is a way they can offer a larger financial package (give the reasons you give here). I think it's worth asking and no one should fault you for asking. If they are able to increase your stipend, it would likely be through a fellowship or some other "award". It sounds like you are a an international student, which means that they can't increase your hours beyond a limit.