Americans Abroad!

Thought the Americans that have gone international for graduate school deserve a designated thread. Searching through IHOG for others in this demographic and instead finding old, dead threads is a drag.

J

ust say a little about yourself (where you're from, academic history, etc.), where you're studying (or working) and what program you're in, and how you're finding life outside the States.

I'm from Fayetteville Arkansas and I'll graduate from the University of Arkansas in May with a BS (with Honors) in Biomedical Engineering. Currently settling up my PhD application to the University of Auckland in New Zealand; was interviewed and offered a PhD scholarship (contingent on my acceptance to the University) a few weeks ago, and my advisor and I just have to finish up my provisional thesis proposal to complete the app. Already pre-approved for study, so it's just a matter of formality. 

Let's get this started!

-Ethan

Good thread idea!

I live in Oregon currently, but I've lived in a bunch of places in the US and Canada. My BA is Canadian, but not super recent. I was accepted into a philosophy MA program in England, so it looks very likely that I'll be heading that way for 1-4 years (pending PhD program admission). I still have to get the unconditional offer (official transcript is on its way), renew my passport, get the loan, and apply for the visa.

(Yes - I'm going against the advice of the majority and taking out the loan. Some people take out mortgages. What I want is an education in the UK.)

(I like my education like I like my alcohol... Non-domestic.)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

I'm  recently graduated undergrad with a BS in Fisheries Biology. I am looking for some sort of fisheries biology or marine ecology masters program and am considering going abroad. I am mainly looking at Queens University Belfast and University of Aberdeen. I have a ton of questions floating around in my head so here it goes. Does anyone know how these school are viewed in the natural resource sciences? Are there other programs I should consider as well?

And the big questions.....how is a UK masters degree viewed by employers in the US? Would I be shooting myself in the foot by not networking with US employers during graduate school? Would staying in Ireland/Scotland and working for a couple years after graduation be possible with visas and immigration?

I think there are pros and cons to going abroad, but I am really attracted to the opportunity to live in another country for a while. I don't know in how many periods of life I will have so much flexibility.

Thanks for you input!

Kaitlyn

Edited by kam159

If I get funding, I might be going to the American University in Cairo within Egypt.

At the moment:

I am in my last semester of undergrad earning a BA in International Affairs and Spanish. I really do not have any job experience in the field. If I go abroad, I feel the advntages will include gaining international experience, having something to put on my resume, doing volunteer work abroad, and gaining proficiency in Arabic. Egypt is also relatively cheap to live in. I also haven't had much luck with funding from my American programs that I have been accepted too. I am seriously getting out of this country if AUC offers funding. I will obtain a Masters in Global Affairs (International Security) along with a graduate certificate in Middle East Politics/Arabic if I decide to go to AUC.

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I'm  recently graduated undergrad with a BS in Fisheries Biology. I am looking for some sort of fisheries biology or marine ecology masters program and am considering going abroad. I am mainly looking at Queens University Belfast and University of Aberdeen. I have a ton of questions floating around in my head so here it goes. Does anyone know how these school are viewed in the natural resource sciences? Are there other programs I should consider as well?

And the big questions.....how is a UK masters degree viewed by employers in the US? Would I be shooting myself in the foot by not networking with US employers during graduate school? Would staying in Ireland/Scotland and working for a couple years after graduation be possible with visas and immigration?

I think there are pros and cons to going abroad, but I am really attracted to the opportunity to live in another country for a while. I don't know in how many periods of life I will have so much flexibility.

Thanks for you input!

Kaitlyn

Hi I am at U of Aberdeen, ask what you would like to know

Hi, all. :)

I graduated with my BA in Psychology in 2012.  I am currently working as a high school English teacher in Japan, but I will be attending SOAS in London this fall for an MA in Linguistics and Language.

• 1 month later...

Great to see some more people posting. Haven't been on in a while; bit busy with finishing up the semester.

Got my official scholarship offer and admission last week. Just dealing with visa stuff now. Set to start August 1!

Hey, everyone!

I'm Ashlee.  I just graduated with a BA in French from Truman State University in Kirksville, MO.  This September I'll (hopefully, if all goes well with my visa and stuff) start at Concordia University in Montréal, Québec, pursuing an MA in francophone literature.  (The actual title of the degree is much longer and French-ish.)  Gotta say, I'm so glad I found this forum.  I've been stewing in my terror for the past month since my acceptance. :P

Edited by Ashlée

Ah yes, the fun visa stuff. I'm getting ready for that process now.  I'm not exactly looking forward to the getting-set-up part of moving abroad, seeing as I just did it last year.  I'm basically transitioning my life back to the US only to transition it to the UK a month or so later.  I'll probably just leave some boxes/suitcases packed and re-ship them to the UK after they get to the US :lol:

Edited by ashso

• 2 weeks later...

Ah yes, the fun visa stuff. I'm getting ready for that process now.  I'm not exactly looking forward to the getting-set-up part of moving abroad, seeing as I just did it last year.  I'm basically transitioning my life back to the US only to transition it to the UK a month or so later.  I'll probably just leave some boxes/suitcases packed and re-ship them to the UK after they get to the US :lol:

Sounds like fun to me, but I'm not sure I'd be saying that if I actually had to do it. Ha.

It's not so bad.  I'm just a little stressed because of all the stuff I have to do on this end before I leave Japan, as well as preparing to move to the UK.  I didn't mind the set up process last time, but I think it'll be more exhausting this time since I'm having to move internationally twice in the span of a month and a half.

• 2 weeks later...

HI guys, what is the best way to source grad school abroad? I found a coupl eof sites but be good to get your views also.

I am thinking Australia or the UK. Maybe New Zealand.

cheers,

Tan

Hey Tan,

What are your research interests? I dont know much about the UK/Australia, but the University of Auckland (NZ) has a lot of great programs, and they're "ranked" pretty highly internationally. You can either find a project and supervisor first (through the links below or by emailing them directly) or you can submit an application without a supervisor. If you submit without a supervisor, your app will go into a pool that professors can review and choose from. After you have a supervisor, a project, and funding, there are some other little bits and pieces to complete your app, including a Preliminary Thesis Proposal.

Check out this link. It's U of A's 'Find a Thesis' system, which allows you to search through all of the currently-available theses for masters and PhD projects, research advisors, and other current research. I don't know if it's fully up to date, but it's a good place to start.

https://www.findathesis.auckland.ac.nz/#/

It's unorthodox for us here in the States, but you can also find funded PhD positions on job websites such as www.Seek.co.nz. That's where I found mine.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions.

Ethan

On another note, I received my Visa a couple days ago (took 2 days to process!) and I leave on Wednesday. Pretty psyched.

Edited by EthanL

I wish i was back in the UK studying! The hardest part about finishing my course and my student visa expiring is knowing that I can't go back there on a work visa until I'm more specialized in work or my field. 

I have so many great friends there and really connected with London as a city. IT sounds illy, but my one year living and studying there made it feel more like home than the place I lived for almost my entire life. It also helps that I had a social life and a great relationship with my supervisor. The suburbs just don't compare.

Melissaam, I studied abroad in London briefly in undergrad, and I loved it.  I felt really at home there too, and I was only there for a few weeks! I'm really excited to be going back.

HI guys, what is the best way to source grad school abroad? I found a coupl eof sites but be good to get your views also.

I am thinking Australia or the UK. Maybe New Zealand.

cheers,

Tan

I applied to several schools in the UK this year and will be attending an MA program at one of them, so if you have specific questions about applying to UK schools and such I can try to help. 

What exactly are you looking for?  It's difficult to help without more information.  Are you going for an MA or PhD? What is your area of study?   

ETA: And congrats on the visa, EthanL!

Edited by ashso

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an American studying my BA in linguistics in Tel-Aviv University (Israel) and looking to apply for PhD programs back in the states. Do I fit in here? Do I fit in anywhere?  :P

Sounds like several people have experience studying in the UK. Any big tips/things to watch out for? I am headed there for my MA in a few months. Just submitted my visa application (yay!).

Despite all of the inevitable culture shock, part of me thinks that the hardest part about this move is going to be the weather... I am from a desert! I hate rain!

Oh well. I will probably end up living in a library anyway.

Despite all of the inevitable culture shock, part of me thinks that the hardest part about this move is going to be the weather... I am from a desert! I hate rain!

I was only there for a few weeks, but by the time I left I was already getting used to the weather! I found the frequent rain and cloudy days irritating, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  Granted, although I dislike rain, I don't hate it.  In my case, I hate extreme heat, so summer in Japan (where I currrently live) is way too much for me.  The humidity is ridiculous.  Even so, I adapted and dealt with it much better than I expected.   Hopefully it'll be the same for you with the rain!

• 4 weeks later...

I just got my visa!  Due to "technical difficulties" from my school in processing my financial aid, a process that should have taken no more than a month took about three.  But I FINALLY got my visa, just two weeks before I'm due to fly out!  It feels like a HUGE weight has been lifted and now I kind of want to spin in circles and sing. :P

• 7 months later...

Got an MSc from Trinity in Dublin last year and still live/work in Dublin at the minute. Happy to answer any questions about moving/living/staying abroad after graduation if anyone has any!

It was definitelY an adjustment but also the BEST thing I've ever done!!