Denver Korbel 2015

grizzly

Who else applied to Denver for 2015? I am really interested in the Korbel School. The course options seem great and I like that there is a big emphasis on professional development and post-grad career placement.

Money is definitely my biggest concern- Denver seems so expensive! Has anyone else been invited to interview for fellowships? Any current Korbel students willing to weigh in on cost of living in the area?

I applied to Korbel and have not herd anything yet. But, last week I reeived an email saying that my application has been forwarded to the 'International Security Department' for review. If that's the case, then I hope to know something by the end of ths month.  This school is indeed the most expensive program on my list...but, I would imagine that Denver itself is cheaper to live in compared to places like DC.

I received this email a couple weeks:

You’ve probably heard this a lot from our emails, but thanks for your application to Korbel.  I had a chance to look over your application real quick this afternoon (before sending it along to the review committee) and I’m really pleased with your background and your research interests as they fit nicely with the work/research/culture of Korbel.  Language skills in a “critical language” is essential for your career goals—having Arabic is great, adding on Farsi would be even better.

I wanted to highlight some Korbel Opportunities that are unique to Korbel and how they might fit with your specific interests. First off, our Center for the Study of the Middle East allows students with an interest in issues of importance to the region access to guest speakers, research and courses.  We are also starting a certificate in religion and international affairs which would fit nicely with your interest in non-state actors (which you could get through the security program) and political Islam (which you could get through the certificate program).  Finally, I encourage you to look at the research of Professor Nader Hashemi, our leading scholar on the Middle East.

They definitely read my SOP.

There was a lot more in that email but i am too lazy to edit/redact.

Edited by kingthearab

• 2 weeks later...

Based on the results from last years cohort, decisions should start trickling out this week. Anyone get anything yet?

I just got an email asking me for transcripts that don't exist (long story), but beyond that nothing. hope to hear soon.

Greetings

I wanted to comment that I have received an acceptance letter along financial offering from Korbel a couple of hours ago. Therefore keep checking your mail for good news.

Good luck to everyone!

Cheers

Edited by Xperto

Greetings

I wanted to comment that I have received an acceptance letter along financial offering from Korbel a couple of hours ago. Therefore keep checking your mail for good news.

Good luck to everyone!

Cheers

Congratulations! I have not received anything yet as well. Do you mind letting us know which program you applied to?

Edited by kingthearab

@kingthearab @OneLove21

I have applied and been accepted to the MA in Global Finance. Trade and Economic Integration. My admittance letter states that I am being offered the Korbel School Merit Scholarship.

I submitted my application around Dec 25

Good luck to you all!

Edited by Xperto

Oh, ok cool. I applied one day before the deadline and in a different program. So, hopefully we will know by next week as Grizzly said.

Isn't Merit the biggest scholarship they have available as well? That's cool, if so.

Edited by Guest

@kingthearab @OneLove21

I have applied and been accepted to the MA in Global Finance. Trade and Economic Integration. My admittance letter states that I am being offered the Korbel School Merit Scholarship.

I submitted my application around Dec 25

Good luck to you all!

I assume you are an international student since you received your admittance letter first. I hope thats the case :)

So far, 2 acceptances have been posted for Korbel on the results page as of today. I infer that one of them were posted by Xperto. Hoping for the best....

@OneLove21

Indeed one of those acceptance posts is mine.

@everyone

Just as a sign of encouragement for everyone that has not received anything yet.

In the acceptance mail, they attach a youtube "welcome" video only accessible trough a link (as per youtube settings) and until a few minutes ago, said video has only around 40 views. Assuming that some people have seen the video, some others haven't and some others have watched it twice, I would deduce that only a small portion of the acceptances have been sent out and this is only the first batch; therefore expect good news coming to you soon!!

Good luck to you all! 

Cheers!

Edited by Xperto

I just received my acceptance by email, including funding notification. I applied for the Human Rights program.

Anyone know when we're supposed to hear about the Updike Global Health Affairs scholarship?

Edited by Kalaba

^ That usually signifies an acceptance based on the results search. Congrats.

If anyone applied to the International Security program, please post when you get a response.Thanks.