After admissions - responding to professors who reach out

soshsmosh

I've been lucky enough to have been offered admissions to several sociology phd programs, and from each university I've been admitted to I've received emails from several professors making themselves available to answer any questions about their university's program. At the moment I'm still soaking in having been accepted and haven't really formulated many questions (other than questions about stipends & cost of living, which seems rude to lead with), but I would like to continue these correspondences. What kinds of questions have you been starting off with?

Initially I have been sending replies that are pretty much what you said; I'm still taking in everything. Going forward, my questions will focus on my POI's research in more detail, how the graduate programs encourage and assist in professional development (travel funding, assistance with grant proposals and apps, assistance in job placement, etc.), placement of students whom worked with certain faculty members, curriculum, and what its like living in certain areas.

Also, I would definitely advise talking to current grad students if possible. I've been in contact with one at UT, and she provided tons of information and advice that really has helped me get a feel for the program prior to even visiting there.

• 2 weeks later...