Ed.L.D. at HGSE

larbre

I just heard that Harvard Grad School of Education will be installing a new doctoral program called Ed.L.D. (Doctor of Education Leadership), a 3 year practitioner doctorate, very soon. I think Ed.L.D. is designed mainly to prevent any occasional confusion about HGSE's traditional academic Ed.D. as something similar to other schools' practitioner Ed.D., by having something different. They seem determined to continue their academic Ed.D. tradition. I personally like their decision. If their academic Ed.D. gets even more and more competitive with this year's admissions rate around 7%, there is no reason to alter their academic Ed.D. tradition.

What do you think?

By the way, is there any other education "Ph.D." program that has that low acceptance rate near 7%? I'm curious. Maybe Stanford?

Hmm.

They already have the Urban Superintendents Program in place that does much the same thing. Though still a research-based degree, the timeline to completion is accelerated and there is much more of a focus on practice.

Link: http://www.gse.harvard.edu/academics/do ... index.html

I will ask around about the implementaion of a Practicioner's Degree when I'm back from summer break, however!

I don't think this is officially announced yet, though their new policy is quite substantial enough to post job ads (admin positions) to hire people for their new EdLD program.

I wonder if they would discontinue the current Urban Superintendents Program and channel the demand of practitioner's doctorate to the new EdLD. I like what they are doing, anyway.

Wow...you weren't kidding when you said it was new. The Director job was posted on the Harvard University HR website *today* (7/28):

http://www.jobs.harvard.edu/jobs/summ_r ... t_id=41562

"The Executive Director will play a key role in launching a new degree program and ensuring its success. The Harvard EdLD is a new, three-year, cohort-based program designed to train the next generation of leaders to enact transformational change in education systems. The program draws on the participation of faculty from the Harvard Graduate School of Education, the Harvard Business School, and the Harvard Kennedy School. The EdLD consists of two years of intensive coursework designed and taught by faculty from the three schools, combined with a year-long residency in a partner organization and a capstone project."

Funding for this job is only guaranteed through July 30, 2010. I think this is a pilot program. Also, because it's not a research degree, I'm willing to bet the EdLD will be unfunded...ouch.

The USP degree is different enough that I think it will continue on its own.

We are fully funded, yes (tuition and health fees covered all 5 years, and a living stipend the first year), but that's largely based on the fact that the current Ed.D. degree scheme is research-based, even the USP degree. This makes it similar in form to the PhDs offered by the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, which are also often fully funded.

The proposed Ed.LD. degree would be a professional degree, in line with the JD, MD, MBA, etc, which are privately funded by the student or other sources outside of the University.

I don't see how offering BOTH a research-based and practitioner-focused Ed.D. helps clear up the confusion about the value of the Ed.D. degree overall. This makes me wonder of HGSE has struck a deal with GSAS to start granting PhDs for their research degrees...that's entirely speculation, however.

I just heard that they will have two different doctorates from next year.

Ed.D. - a fully funded research doctorate (= PhD from other schools)

Ed.L.D. - a 3-year practitioner's degree (= their current USP degree)

I personally like this system.

• 1 month later...

More information about the new doctoral program on the Chronicle:

http://chronicle.com/article/Harvard-Of ... _medium=en

From the school's website:

The new tuition-free Doctor of Education Leadership Program (Ed.L.D.) will be taught by faculty from the Harvard Graduate School of Education (HGSE), the Harvard Business School (HBS), and the Harvard Kennedy School (HKS). The program offers an unprecedented approach to preparing leaders equipped to transform the American education system in order to enable all students to succeed in a 21st-century world. The three-year program will begin in August 2010 and initially enroll 25 students per year.

"One of the core missions of Harvard's professional schools is to prepare leaders who can guide organizations in a rapidly changing environment. No sector has a greater need for such transformational leaders than public education," said Harvard President Drew Faust. "I am delighted that professors from three outstanding professional schools are combining their knowledge and experience to create this groundbreaking program."

http://www.gse.harvard.edu/blog/news_fe ... aders.html

• 5 months later...

Did anyone apply to this program?

Yes. I applied to this program. I am wondering if anyone has heard yet about interviews. I know the plan was to interview about 50 applicants and the applications numbered over a thousand. So, I'm guessing that, like most, I'm not going to get the interview email, but want to know if others have heard so I can stop wondering.

I applied as well. No word yet regarding interviews. Either we're all in the same boat, or the admissions office is taking its time. I will post if I hear anything. Best of luck to everyone.

All right people- If I have to be to Boston on March 1st for an interview, they better well let me know pretty darn quickly! Am I supposed to get there with just a weekend's notice from California? I know this is the interview notification period, but I'm assuming that I'm not being invited because they certianly can't expect people to just jump on flights from all over the country, can they? I'm assuming this means a no for me... we all knew it was a snowball's chance in hell anyway, but, then again, SOMEONE has to get in! Might as well be one of us! Just post if anyone hears anything!

I'm waiting too. I'm interested to hear about what kind of candidate they are looking for.

Agreed. If they indeed haven't gone out with invitations yet (who knows on that one?), I'll bet that it's been tough deciphering exactly what they want the cohort to look like with what I can only imagine to be an extremely impressive/accomplished/diverse applicant pool. I hope that when we get final word, they give us a sense of who actually got in so that those who may want to apply again in the future (like me) can see what it really takes.

Yes. I applied to this program. I am wondering if anyone has heard yet about interviews. I know the plan was to interview about 50 applicants and the applications numbered over a thousand. So, I'm guessing that, like most, I'm not going to get the interview email, but want to know if others have heard so I can stop wondering.

Where did you hear that they would be interviewing 50 candidates?