Rescinding an acceptance?

areyno13

So I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'm a student in the US looking to get my MSc in Earth Science. I applied to both University of Waterloo (Canada) and Syracuse University.

I fell in love with Waterloo when I went to visit a couple of weeks ago. The facilities were amazing and the projects were really cool. This weekend I went to visit Syracuse University, again I fell in love with it. I loved the adviser, the students, and the projects (also the stipend is $6,000 more than Waterloo which is nice). 

Typically this would be a no brainer, accept Syracuse over Waterloo. Here is where the problem arises, I was accepted early to Waterloo and while US school typically allow you to decide by April 15th, Waterloo gave me 3 weeks. The deadline happened to be on the day I visited Syracuse. To be honest, when I was going I didn't think I'd like it so much so I wasn't prepared. After realizing I loved it I emailed my adviser at Waterloo and asked for a 2 week extension to hear from Syracuse. 

I hadn't heard back from him by that evening and since my offer expired at midnight I didn't want to take the risk of not getting into Syracuse and losing my offer from Waterloo. I accepted Waterloo's offer and my status is currently: "intent to matriculate." I sent a follow-up email asking him to ignore my previous email, that I had accepted, and I looked forward to talking with him about the future. Sunday I received a response from the adviser saying I could have extra time (and a follow-up email when he read my follow-up email.) I'm kicking myself because I could have had that extra 2 weeks to hear from Syracuse.

After this long back story here is my question: Is there a way to rescind  my acceptance to Waterloo if I get accepted into Syracuse? I think it may be possible because, while he replied too late, he did say I could have the extra 2 weeks to respond. I realize I'd be burning a bridge with Waterloo but I would be happier at Syracuse (though not necessarily unhappy at Waterloo.)

Can anyone help?  :(

I rescinded an acceptance when I got off the waitlist at my first choice, so yes you can do it. I think the key is to do it as soon as you can. I don't think it's burning a bridge necessarily - though the longer you wait, it might hurt their chances of being able to offer your spot/funding to another person. Ultimately, you need to go to the school where you think you will produce the best work. pm message me if you want to discuss more. 

Just be honest.  Your POI may understand or he may not.  That really depends on him.  I think your situation is understandable given the circumstances.  If you waited until April or later to rescind the offer, you would really be burning bridges. 

I think you should let them know as soon as possible if you get an offer and decide to go to Syracuse. If you explain what happened in a professional and courteous way, the outcome is  likely to turn out better than you think. They may be disappointed or irritated that you changed your mind again, but it's an important decision to make and I'm sure you aren't the first nor the last student in this situation with two different deadlines and acceptance dates.

On another note, you initially expressed interest in both schools and indecision about where to go. However, after accepting the first offer the prospect of the second offer became more appealing. Are you genuinely more interested in Syracuse than Waterloo or have you become more interested in it because you shut the door on that opportunity before fully thinking it though? Just some food for thought.

Edited by jenste

Everyone thanks for the helpful responses.

jenste : I am genuinely interested in SU more. The department is smaller and more tight knit and I really her advising style better.

they make their decision this weekend so I'm on the edge of my seat until then.