Fall 2015 Official Decisions Thread

uselesstheory

Deciding between UC Irvine and UCLA. Area of interests are immigration, race and ethnic relations, social stratification, cultre. Especially focusing on Asian American community. Both programs are very good fit and very well established! However I have heard rumors like "UCLA expects you to drop out," so I'm a little worried about the program culture there. Any suggestions?

I can see why someone would say that. From what I heard while visiting UCLA and talking to UCI profs about UCLA is that the program is too big. It's not so much that they expect you to fail, but some students may feel neglected in the program. The extent to which this is a problem really depends on how independent one is and what kind of advising one needs. 

I'm most likely saying yes to UCLA.

I can see why someone would say that. From what I heard while visiting UCLA and talking to UCI profs about UCLA is that the program is too big. It's not so much that they expect you to fail, but some students may feel neglected in the program. The extent to which this is a problem really depends on how independent one is and what kind of advising one needs. 

I'm most likely saying yes to UCLA.

I will second that. I visited UCLA last week too and spoke with some grad students who have felt neglected, but that also seems to be due to particular faculty members and not necessarily the program as a whole. It might be easy to fall through the cracks if you don't choose your advisors wisely or according to your preferences. Some students admitted that they got caught up by wanting to work with "big names", but in turn felt neglected because of how busy or inaccessible those faculty members are. There's no denying the reputation and great job placement record, but it's ultimately what you make of it (as is the case with any program). With this in mind, I will be deciding between UCLA and the University of Oregon... If anyone has info on UOregon please send along!

Edited by PrincePelly

I would not be surprised if this was true. I found the below link when I first started to apply  to programs. According to the document, the rate of completion within 10 years for UCLA is 56%. I don't know how accurate this number is, but it seems that the other information on the document is pretty accurate. With that being said, I still decided to apply to UCLA and would probably still attend if given the opportunity. I don't know how much weight you can put on this, but every encounter I have had with Wendy Fujinami has been really positive. I'd definitely be a little bit worried about the culture at UCLA, but I'd also not rush to any decisions. It seems that your a good fit for both programs, so perhaps the safest option is UC Irvine. But, I wonder what is driving the low completion rate at UCLA, if true, and how your fit with the program might influence your experience with the program. 

http://tinyurl.com/pu2feyv

I'm not writing from UCLA.  I can say that a 56% average completion rate is low, but can be more complicated that it seems at first.  Remember this is a 5-10 year odyssey that you are embarking on.  Some people start immediately out of undergrad and apply to grad schools because of no clear alternative with a liberal arts background.  Once they go a couple of years into the program, they realize that this is not for them.  Others family issues intervene.  Others are older when they start the grad school process and decide that being back in school isn't what it is cracked up to be.  Others fail out.  In small cohorts, one or two students making individualized decisions, can sway statistics wildly.  At my school, we certainly want everyone capable of writing a dissertation to be able to successfully do so, but we also want it to be ok for people to mid-way decide that they want to do something else with their life.  Academic is very hard.  Research is very hard.  It is largely independent, with very little regular positive feedback.  You have to be internally self-directed in a way that is uncomfortable for a lot of people.  Our philosophy is we'd rather students determine that this field is not for them earlier in their career rather than later, so thinking about attrition rates, you'd rather see people in their 2nd and 3rd year quitting than people in year 7 & 8.

I don't know anything about the specifics of UCLA and how good their program is (other than that my department keeps wanting to hire their graduates!), so I am only writing this to suggest that you use that data point extremely cautiously.  It should not be a determining factor, but add it to the big pile of issues you are considering when thinking about different programs.

What schools will you be turning down then? Congratulations are in order though, great job on that admit!

Congratulations on Boulder! That's awesome.

Thank you! I'm very excited. My other offers aren't as serious and weren't funded (BC and Uconn). I haven't heard from 2 schools, but it's a seriously good fit.

For those recommended to MAPSS, who is accepting the offer?

I was accepted with half-tuition. I'm not sure. I'm still on the wait list for multiple schools and I already have a masters, albeit in a different field. I also feel silly moving half way across the country / going into debt for another masters. But I've heard good things about the program, so I guess I'll sit on it until the very last minute. 

Edited by nycres

I'm trying to decide between Minnesota and McGill. General impressions of either?

I don't know anything about McGill, but I visited Minnesota and the grad students were absolutely amazing - so kind and really went out of their way to make sure everyone felt included/enjoyed themselves at the gatherings. Their faculty was also substantially nicer and more involved in reaching out to me than any other department I've applied to. If I was selecting a school based on people who would make my every day life happier, I would select Minnesota.

I think I'll be declining my offer there based on my other options, but it is very difficult to say no to such genuinely supportive people. 

Edited by hgp

I don't know anything about McGill, but I visited Minnesota and the grad students were absolutely amazing - so kind and really went out of their way to make sure everyone felt included/enjoyed themselves at the gatherings. Their faculty was also substantially nicer and more involved in reaching out to me than any other department I've applied to. If I was selecting a school based on people who would make my every day life happier, I would select Minnesota.

I think I'll be declining my offer there based on my other options, but it is very difficult to say no to such genuinely supportive people.

Thanks! Could I ask why you're declining if it was so positive? Is it a fit issue, or more of a prestige thing?

Thanks! Could I ask why you're declining if it was so positive? Is it a fit issue, or more of a prestige thing?

I'm interested in social psych and they're not as strong there (though I love the work they're doing with the American Mosaic Project), but it's mostly because I am looking for an institution with a top 5 mba program for my partner. 

I'm trying to decide between Minnesota and McGill. General impressions of either?

I don't know anything about Minnesota, but I will be attending McGill in the fall. My impression of them has been fantastic so far, especially in regards to the faculty and how open they have been with contact, Skype, discussing research, sending manuscripts, etc. I also spoke with a POI from CUNY on the phone yesterday about my decision to attend McGill, and he was extremely complementary of the department (quant & mixed methods training, up-and-coming professors, etc) and their rate of placement at quality institutions in both the US and Canada. I will be going up in a few weeks to visit the department (and Montreal!) and anticipate that being a great trip as well.

I should mention that I am looking to do comparative research between Canada, the US, and France, so that heavily influenced my decision to apply and subsequently attend.

I've just officially decided to attend SUNY Albany. It's surreal to say yes to someone! Also a bit hard to say no to others...does anyone have an almost harder time pushing the "no" button for reasons of "what if my 'yes' choice changes its mind?" Haha, imposter syndrome begins now.

I'm interested in social psych and they're not as strong there (though I love the work they're doing with the American Mosaic Project), but it's mostly because I am looking for an institution with a top 5 mba program for my partner.

That's fair enough. I'm leaning pretty strongly towards it because, like you said, everyone just seems so supportive. I'm just wondering whether the prestige thing is even an issue, considering its top 20 in US News and even higher in other world rankings?

That's fair enough. I'm leaning pretty strongly towards it because, like you said, everyone just seems so supportive. I'm just wondering whether the prestige thing is even an issue, considering its top 20 in US News and even higher in other world rankings?

I would say it is prestigious in the realm of sociology based on rankings. Those who know, know. Meaning, if you're applying for a job (in academia, or that hires from sociology departments) they'll know Minnesota is a top program, even if the name doesn't sound that way to those outside the sociology realm. Almost everything I've read and most of the people I've talked to have focused on top 20 as the mark of prestige. 

I've just officially decided to attend SUNY Albany. It's surreal to say yes to someone! Also a bit hard to say no to others...does anyone have an almost harder time pushing the "no" button for reasons of "what if my 'yes' choice changes its mind?" Haha, imposter syndrome begins now.

Congratulations! I felt the same way when I made my decision and accepted my offer, but it was totally nerve-wracking and surreal. All of a sudden, five or six or more years become definite in some way before us, and that is inevitably full of conflicted feelings of excitement and trepidation.

Officially committed to UCLA. This should be fun!!

Others going to or considering saying yes to UCLA and who are interested in political economy and comparative historical sociology should know we're getting a new faculty member in the fall. 

http://kevanharris.princeton.edu/biocv

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone tell me when the visit weekend for IU is?  One of my friends that is a current grad student there said he thought it was either this weekend or next but was not sure.  I'm on the waitlist and was advised to wait to make my decision until after the admitted students visit.  I really want to accept Vanderbilt because I loved it there but IU holds a special place in my heart for multiple reasons, although I'm honestly not sure if I'd accept even if admitted since Vanderbilt was so great.  Ugh!  Decisions!  Help!!

Could someone tell me when the visit weekend for IU is?  One of my friends that is a current grad student there said he thought it was either this weekend or next but was not sure.  I'm on the waitlist and was advised to wait to make my decision until after the admitted students visit.  I really want to accept Vanderbilt because I loved it there but IU holds a special place in my heart for multiple reasons, although I'm honestly not sure if I'd accept even if admitted since Vanderbilt was so great.  Ugh!  Decisions!  Help!!

The IU (Indiana) visit is on Friday of this week. I'll be out there Thursday thru Saturday. Hope this helps!

The IU (Indiana) visit is on Friday of this week. I'll be out there Thursday thru Saturday. Hope this helps!

This helps a lot!  Thank you!!  Vanderbilt invited the waitlisted people to their visit weekend but obviously IU didn't.  Not like I'm not super familiar with the place after doing my undergrad & living there two years post graduation, but still would have appreciated the opportunity to build relationships, especially if I do get off the waitlist.  

This helps a lot!  Thank you!!  Vanderbilt invited the waitlisted people to their visit weekend but obviously IU didn't.  Not like I'm not super familiar with the place after doing my undergrad & living there two years post graduation, but still would have appreciated the opportunity to build relationships, especially if I do get off the waitlist.  

I'll PM you.

I'm trying to decide between OSU and UT-Austin. I'm interested in family and criminology, qual vs quan undecided. Does anyone have any comments or advice? 

I don't know much about OSU, but UT-Austin would likely be a pretty decent fit. For family, you have Crosnoe and Raley. For criminology, you have Warr and Pettit. Austin is also getting Sarah Brayne starting Fall 2016, which would be nice for your criminology interests as well. 

I don't know much about OSU, but UT-Austin would likely be a pretty decent fit. For family, you have Crosnoe and Raley. For criminology, you have Warr and Pettit. Austin is also getting Sarah Brayne starting Fall 2016, which would be nice for your criminology interests as well. 

Yes, UT-Austin has more to offer in terms of academic resources and it seems to be a more prestigious program than OSU. But I really like the welcoming community and friendly people at OSU, so it's very hard to say no. Any advice?