Temple

A word about the area around Temple being "sketchy" - I know many people have that sentiment, so no judgements, but it was definitely not my experience (I lived in Philly for 3 years, 1 in that neighborhood).  Not to get too touchy, but I feel like sometimes when a neighborhood is poorer or there are a lot of people of color living there, that sometimes translates in people's minds to "unsafe."  When you look past those stereotypes, there's definitely more to the neighboorhood.  Just my two cents...

*** Just saw that there was more discussion on this than I realized.  You guys pretty much had it covered.  Still standing by what I said, though. :)

With all due respect, this had nothing to do with stereotypes or "people of color"...this had to do with news reports and articles - http://temple-news.com/news/following-recent-crime-security-questioned/ . I'm glad you followed up on the conversation but actually resent the initial implication. No hard feelings...just had to put that out there.

With all due respect, this had nothing to do with stereotypes or "people of color"...this had to do with news reports and articles - http://temple-news.com/news/following-recent-crime-security-questioned/ . I'm glad you followed up on the conversation but actually resent the initial implication. No hard feelings...just had to put that out there.

Fair.  I know you totally didn't mention "people of color" or even imply it  -  I've just experienced a lot of neighborhood bias along those lines. I could say a lot about that, along with how media coverage plays into it, but this isn't the place for that.  Sorry to have offended you (truly - since you can't hear my tone, not a drop of sarcasm in it).  Hope you end up in a program you love, no matter where that may be.

Edited by ckoz84

For Temple.. we only had to complete the CSDCAS application (verified) and the Temple supplemental application correct? I heard someone state that she received notification from Temple saying she had to mail her CSDCAS info...? I only did the CSDCAS and Supplemental app.... hoping that is correct. 

I feel like they may be a bit behind from a huge snowstorm that they had.

Also, I emailed about an open house and they said they will be sending out information via email through CSDCAS, and they are planning one at the end of March. I would think this means that they have to get the rest of decisions out soon as well.

They didn't even send me an email...they just posted on the portal. My friend who attends there ( 4.0 GPA, high 160's GRE's and 5.5 writing) complains how "research intense" it is compared to other schools and how much they regard scores more rather than the student as a whole. Other than that she says it's a great program. I wish everyone the best of luck! The perfect school is out there for everyone!

Has anyone still not heard? My application portal still says complete and awaiting decision 

I still haven't heard. I check the portal an obsessive amount each day and it still says "complete and ready for review." I feel like I'm going to be wait listed, but hey who knows. I'm trying to hold out hope! I may give them a call this week just to see when they are planning on letting the rest of us know

has anyone given temple a call to see when they would send out the rest of the admission decisions? I think it's weird they sent some acceptances a month ago and then no one else has heard anything since...

I feel like they may be a bit behind from a huge snowstorm that they had.

Hahaha...what snow storm?  

*I'm not laughing at you.  It's the lack of snow that hits Philadelphia proper during these supposedly bad storms...we only got 1/2 day off*

I'm a current student, albeit in a different program.  I've had a great experience here, but you really do have to stay on top of admissions.  As a prospective student, I cursed Temple any number of times (e.g. losing some of my application materials 2-3 times, letting 900 years elapse between my initial, unofficial acceptance and my official/formal one).  Please don't feel chagrin about contacting them.

I saw people comment on the neighborhood.  Here are my two cents.  Years before applying, I had walked through the Temple area w/ a friend to get to a concert.  We were kind of lost and the neighborhood didn't look good at all (I remember some alleys and vacant lots).  The lighting was also poor.  We decided to turn back as a precaution.  Fast forward the clock to my first semester at Temple when some of my classes ended at 8 or 8:30pm.  Lighting was great.  The vacant lots were gone.  New houses had been built for area residents.  It looked like a different place!  I was pleasantly surprised.  And to think that I almost didn't apply to Temple b/c of the vacant lot/dark alley images still in my mind.  Campus police presence is also strong.  With that said, crime can be an issue surrounding the school.  Of late, there have been a number of armed robberies.  For whatever reason, things started getting a little more problematic in November and have yet to tamp down.  This has made me more vigilant.  I do, however, still feel safe on campus.  But, I wouldn't feel comfortable with a free-standing apartment or house in the area (most robberies seem to happen here).  I've never heard of problems in dorms/large, campus-affiliated apartment buildings.  

Hope this helps, good luck & stay on top of the sloooooow admissions people!      

Edited by Chai_latte

I've been doing a lot of research about the school and I've been hearing a lot of the same responses about the area as what you just gave so thank you! It's helpful to hear from someone on campus currently. 

I was wondering what everyone else knows about the program or if they have friends who are in it. I would love to hear from a more personal account than just stats I see online before I  make my final decision!

status in my portal just changed from "complete and ready for review" to "all done" but there's no decision there. logged into where I submitted my supplemental application and saw that I am waitlisted :/

Edited by ba23

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...