Applying to Psychology PhD after 2 year break

Cyniel

I'm currently looking at PhD programs for psychology, particularly I'm interested in identity development and changes in college years. I'm still trying to figure out if that fits under Personality psychology or developmental or another form. I've seen schools list similar topics in different areas. Nonetheless, I have a BA in Psychology and an MA in Mental Health Counseling. No Masters' thesis but I was involved in research (not published) in my Masters. I was halfway through a lit review for own thesis but decided not to do it due to various reasons (i.e. it turned into a dissertation style topic). I'm currently an Adjunct teaching research methods and statistics in psychology but not involved in any of my own research or the research labs. 

I know that research is important in PhD programs so I was wondering what are my chances as I am? Or should I get more research experience before applying.