Math Major with low Quantitative score.

despoxcam

I was a bit busy this year with my research and did not put a lot of energy into studying for my GREs.  On my first attempt I got Q: 159 V: 154 and W: 5.  I really want to get into a CS masters such as the UPenn MCIT program or the one at UChicago, specifically targeted to those without a background in CS. However I do believe that they look at GRE scores because a bulk of their applicants come from non quantitative areas like the liberal arts.  Hence the reported GRE average is quite high (at 165 Q and 160 V) and they admit roughly 20% of applicants out of 300 or so every year.  How badly are my chances wrecked for admissions?  

I have a high 3.7 GPA, I studied math abroad and did quite well.  My work experience includes two labs, one of which is an aircraft construction lab, and the second is an aerodynamics one.  I did development economics research in a foreign university and am working on financial signaling research, particularly modeling currency swaps and developing alternatives to econometrics.  

How would admissions think of this scenario where a student comes in with a strong quantitative background built over 4 years but just screwed up on test day?  

It doesn't sound great to have both quantitative and verbal scores well below the average. If your deadlines are coming up, see if they'll accept new GRE scores after the deadline. Basically, I guess what you have to weigh is whether you want to study quickly, pay again for the test and hope your scores can still count, or risk waiting an extra year in case your scores cost you.

I just think that if they publish the average and you're below that, that's something to be concerned about. I don't know about the specific program you're applying to. For many graduate schools it's the school itself, and not the program, that cares about GREs - but it sounds like this program does care about GREs, and you know your score isn't representative of your capabilities. It certainly can't hurt to retake it.

Ultimately, the issue is that many programs receive applications from many qualified and highly qualified applicants.  So any one weak spot on your application could be a reason to choose another candidate over you.

Is there a reason you're opposed to just resitting the GRE?  You've got plenty of time, and if it was just an off day, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to do better on the quant section.

Well I would like to go to grad school immediately and I just feel that taking one year (since these schools admit in Fall) to spend a few hundred dollars for completing one exam might not be worth it...