Radford University

Just got off the phone with admissions. If you didn't receive any correspondence by now, you weren't considered in the first wave. There will be a second wave the week of March 16th. They sent out 90 acceptances and are expecting at least 65 to deny. Don't get discouraged gang, there's still hope!

I hope so! I didn't expect to be in the first round. I have tons of research experience and took prerequisite classes for slp, but my undergrad GPA was on the low end

I received my acceptance yesterday with a GA offer with $4500 per year. I never received any of the previous emails as I discovered last month that I had misunderstood the application instructions. Long story short, I never submitted my supplemental application. I decided to just let it go and never contacted anyone in the department about it because I felt like it was my error and there was nothing that could be done about it. To my surprise, I received an email Sunday night with an offer to extend the supplemental application deadline for me and encouraging me to apply. Then Monday morningthey called me to let me know they were keeping an eye out for my supplemental app. I submitted it that same day. Such a surprise.

I received my acceptance yesterday with a GA offer with $4500 per year. I never received any of the previous emails as I discovered last month that I had misunderstood the application instructions. Long story short, I never submitted my supplemental application. I decided to just let it go and never contacted anyone in the department about it because I felt like it was my error and there was nothing that could be done about it. To my surprise, I received an email Sunday night with an offer to extend the supplemental application deadline for me and encouraging me to apply. Then Monday morningthey called me to let me know they were keeping an eye out for my supplemental app. I submitted it that same day. Such a surprise.

Wow that's great! Do you think you will accept? How long are they giving you to answer?

Wow that's great! Do you think you will accept? How long are they giving you to answer?

I have until April 15 to respond.  I still have so many schools to hear from; I'm not sure yet what my decision will be.  So many of my schools don't seem to notify until so late in the game.

Hi all ! 

I just found this thread, I just received my acceptance to Radford this week (March 5th to be exact) ! 

I was wondering about the open house as well, I'm sure its more than 12-1? I hope so. I live in Toronto and would really like to see the campus/program before I make any decision, but a 10/11 hour drive is a trek for an hour tour. 

Radford is also the first response I have gotten from ANY school (rejection/acceptance/waitlist) which makes me nervous that their deadline to respond is April 15th :S it seems early while all the other schools seem to be taking their time !

In Canada a lot of the speech programs share an application database, so if you accept an offer of acceptance to one program, it automatically removes your application to the other programs. Does any one know if this is true for programs in the states?

Good luck to everyone and congrats to all who have gotten a response !!!!

Edited by nicolafloo

Im by no means positive but it wouldn't surprise me if the open house was fairly short. Radford is a small school so the facilities are not that big (but they are very nice!!) I couldn't imagine it taking too long to tour the whole thing. However, they did mention a lunch and I'm sure there will be time to ask questions so it could be longer! I would definitely give them a call and express your concerns and see what they say! I really wanted to go but because I already visited and it is Easter weekend, I figure it would be a little much for me to drive there and then home, then to my relatives, and then back to my undergraduate university all in one weekend! 

Also, there is no shared application database here. If there is then I must be extremely clueless haha!

Has anyone who has gotten the open house invitation been denied? 

I haven't been declined yet...but I did receive the email about open house today stating that its filling up fast  and its a great place to meet potential roomies and future classmates...so I am a tad bit confused.

I doubt I will be able to attend the open house, but I am very curious about the department. Has anyone seen the facilities or met with any of the faculty there? The program seems to have many factors I am attracted to, like the smaller class sizes, but I can't help but wonder about the strength of the program as a whole. There is not a lot of information about the faculty. Many of the professors seem very young, which isn't intrinsically bad, but I worry what experience the instructors may be lacking as a whole.

I'm a believer that you get out of your education what you put into it, but I don't necessarily buy into the "all SLP graduate programs are equal" philosophy either. Yes, we will all graduate with the same standards no matter which program we attend, but I think the quality of instruction and exposure can vary greatly.

I have two other schools I am really hoping to get into, but if I don't, I will be seriously considering Radford. I want to like their program. If you read their Strategic Plan they seem focused on improving their program, but all the things they list they want ot improve make me wonder how bad it is now (or started out to be before they implemented the changes). Plus, I was offered a GA with funding, and the idea of working closely with a professor (in any capacity) is enticing. Aaaah!! Decisions, decisions. I haven't even heard from half of my schools yet.

If anyone goes to the open house, would you mind sharing your impressions of the department? What a help that would be!

ChatterBrain,

I visited Radford in the fall. I absolutely love the program and can not find a flaw in it.

The university is small, but beautiful. The facilities all seem brand new. The on-campus clinic is extremely nice, and they have tons of resources to use for your therapy sessions. I remember they had one specific room in the clinic that was even larger and had lots of color and activities in it (sensory activities, TV built into wall, things like that). I can't remember if it was for children specifically w/ ASD or children in general, but it was a nice upgrade from your standard plain therapy room with just a table and chairs. One thing I specifically liked about the program was the professors open-door policy. You can come visit a professor and get their help at any time without waiting or scheduling a meeting. They really hold true to this rule, as I experienced first hand. Multiple graduate students came in during my meeting with the clinic director to ask her questions, although I didn't mind because it showed how much they cared about their students! The prep room for the gradate students is also very nice. They have laptops where you can watch all of your therapy sessions, a kitchen, and every student has their own little cubicle area to do work in. Another added plus was the director told me after your first year most students successfully get in-state tuition, which can significantly reduce the cost if you are not from Virginia! I have been emailing back and forth with the director this week and she has been extremely helpful, kind, and prompt with responses!

These are all the things I can think of right off hand because my visit was about 5 months ago, but I hope this helps! Let me know if you think of anything else and I can try my best to answer. 

ChatterBrain,

I visited Radford in the fall. I absolutely love the program and can not find a flaw in it.

The university is small, but beautiful. The facilities all seem brand new. The on-campus clinic is extremely nice, and they have tons of resources to use for your therapy sessions. I remember they had one specific room in the clinic that was even larger and had lots of color and activities in it (sensory activities, TV built into wall, things like that). I can't remember if it was for children specifically w/ ASD or children in general, but it was a nice upgrade from your standard plain therapy room with just a table and chairs. One thing I specifically liked about the program was the professors open-door policy. You can come visit a professor and get their help at any time without waiting or scheduling a meeting. They really hold true to this rule, as I experienced first hand. Multiple graduate students came in during my meeting with the clinic director to ask her questions, although I didn't mind because it showed how much they cared about their students! The prep room for the gradate students is also very nice. They have laptops where you can watch all of your therapy sessions, a kitchen, and every student has their own little cubicle area to do work in. Another added plus was the director told me after your first year most students successfully get in-state tuition, which can significantly reduce the cost if you are not from Virginia! I have been emailing back and forth with the director this week and she has been extremely helpful, kind, and prompt with responses!

These are all the things I can think of right off hand because my visit was about 5 months ago, but I hope this helps! Let me know if you think of anything else and I can try my best to answer. 

Thank you, esny811!  This information is extremely helpful. I have questions I am compiling for the program, but information from a fellow applicant gives a different perspective.

Thank you, esny811!  This information is extremely helpful. I have questions I am compiling for the program, but information from a fellow applicant gives a different perspective.

No problem! If you cant make the open house I would definitely email Dr.Millar, shes been so helpful and honest with all my questions!

If anyone with funding knows they are not attending please plese let them know :) I really want to accept this but am in desperate need of some finanical support and they said theyll get passed down once people deny their spot in the program. Thanks a ton!!!

I rsvp yes for the open house so I'm hoping to know if I'm accepted or not before that. Would love to go check it out.

I did as well! I hope we find out soon and they don't wait until AFTER the open house.

Dr. Millar is fantastic and so helpful !

I'll be heading down to Radford from Toronto on Wednesday - getting some information and checking out the program. 

Anyone with any specific questions let me know and I can see if I can get some answers in person :) 

I was just notified via e-mail that I was waitlisted. Still keeping my fingers crossed!

Edited by marslp