Erasmus Mundus International Masters in Russian, Central & East European Studies (IMRCEES) - University of Glasgow

awrochon

Hi Everyone, 

Thought I'd start a group for all of us that have applied to the Erasmus Mundus International Masters in Russian, Central & East European Studies at the University of Glasgow. Feel free to post whether you were accepted or not, heard about funding, or anything in between!

Best of luck to everyone!

Hi

I applied to the imrcees program and got an unconditional offer. Still waiting anxiously for the scholarship nomination results.

I think we will have to wait for at least two more weeks

Do you have strong background/experience in the region? Which mobility track did you choose? Mine was uk-estonia.

Edited by RozenKnight1990

Hi! I also received an unconditional offer. I had two friends who went to this program last year so I applied based on their experience.

I did an undergraduate thesis with case study countries in Central Asia and Eastern Europe. I talked about my interest in Kazakhstan, but I know the scholarship doesn't cover this track. I think my other option would be Poland.

I heard back from another Erasmus program (MAPP) and I got the scholarship there. I think MAPP is my first choice, but my mind might change if I get the scholarship to IMRCEES! 

Anxiously waiting with you!

Btw, where are you from? I'm from Canada. One of my friends who attended (did not receive scholarship) is from Canada and went to Kazakhstan in his second year and my other friend is from Finland (went to undergrad in Canada) and received full funding. She also went to Kazakhstan.

What's your background in this field?

Best of luck!!

Im from Vietnam, but I went to undergrad in Russia (political science). My interest/background is in the Soviet Union and Russian politics. I guess Kazakhstan and Central Asia are quite popular choices, especially among applicants from Europe/ America.

Congratulations! The MAPP program is extremely hard to get funding, so I assume that you must have a pretty impressive list of achievements.

How many scholarships do you think are allocated to the imrcees consortium this year? They said maybe ten for each category (programme - non-programme countries) but I dont know whether they can secure the same budget for this year.

Fingers crossed for funding!

Wow! You have a very cool background. Which university did you go to in Russia? Must have been so interesting.

I'm not sure about the allocation of scholarships. I just found out more information for the allocation of scholarships in the MAPP programme. The coordinator posted this in the facebook group regarding prospective students:

"Currently a total of 6 Erasmus Mundus scholarships are available for the Mundus MAPP Consortium, 5 for Partner Country students and 1 for Program Country student in the 2015-2017 program cycle. The European Commission may also decide to grant up to four additional Special Window scholarships for applicants coming from specific countries. For more information visit http://eacea.ec.europa.eu/erasmus_mundus/beneficiaries/documents/action1/2015/heading-4---addtional-scholarships-financed-from-dci_eni_pi_en.pdf..."

At least we have an idea of how much this Erasmus programme got!

I'm sure we'll hear soon. My friend heard at the end of February when she got funding 2 years ago!

Normally they will inform successful applicants first, and then the not very successful ones.

My experience living/volunteering/traveling in russia and russian proficiency are the reason I applied for this program. But I bet the consortium have seen better CVs, so I'm quite anxious. I graduated from Voronezh State University, btw.

Also, I read somewhere that the EC are doing something new this year, and a number of scholarships will be allocated to specific geographical windows (regions) outside the mainlists (their version of affirmative action). It means better chances for applicants from third world countries, but could also mean that the process of actually approving the list will be less predictable than before. But I could be wrong, of course.

I'm sure you have a great CV! Having a variety of world experiences like going to school internationally (especially Russia, which is so applicable to this programme!) will be a great asset to you in this application!

The coordinator for the MAPP programme let us know that the EC may also grant additional scholarships, called Special Window scholarships for applicants from specific regions...Like you mentioned.

The coordinator gave us this link: http://eacea.ec.europa.eu/erasmus_mundus/beneficiaries/documents/action1/2015/heading-4---addtional-scholarships-financed-from-dci_eni_pi_en.pdf 

She also sent us this link about additional funding: http://ec.europa.eu/education/opportunities/higher-education/masters-loans_en.htm 

Looks like Vietnam is on the list, so you might have a better chance that way too!  

Did you apply to any other grad programmes?

I certainly hope so :) thank you for your kind words.

IMRCEES is the only EMMC to which I applied this season. I did consider applying to MAPP, but felt that my application was not strong enough, having almost no background/ experience in public policy. But since I had started working in a NGO after applying to IMRCEES, it is possible that I would switch to public policy/development studies if not given a scholarship for russian studies.

Anyway, may the odds be ever in our favor :)

I certainly hope so :) thank you for your kind words.

IMRCEES is the only EMMC to which I applied this season. I did consider applying to MAPP, but felt that my application was not strong enough, having almost no background/ experience in public policy. But since I had started working in a NGO after applying to IMRCEES, it is possible that I would switch to public policy/development studies if not given a scholarship for russian studies.

Anyway, may the odds be ever in our favor :)

Cool! What NGO are you working with? Is it in Russia? I don't have a lot of public policy experience either, but I think my recent internship with Amnesty International (Canada section) helped, along with my degree (it's a general international studies focus, so I could argue how related it was to public policy haha).

re: odds in our favour --> YES! :P

hello everyone!

I also got an offer and I am waiting for the scholarship results, though I am from a Program country, so chances are slimmer for me, as 75% of bursaries are awarded to Partner Countries. On the website video they say they can give up to 20 scholarships. Given the fact that there are only 28 places and I assume they would save some for the self-financing applicants, I believe that the chances for getting the scholarship are quite good, for people who have already been sent an offer for a place.

Hi group, I'm Mitra from India. Wanting to know if anyone's herd from IMRCEES yet on their scholarship applications. Any clue on how competitive the scholarship competition is for IMRCEES. I generally got the feeling that, anyone who applied got an unconditional offer and the actual filtering would take place while evaluating scholarship apps    

Hi group, I'm Mitra from India. Wanting to know if anyone's herd from IMRCEES yet on their scholarship applications. Any clue on how competitive the scholarship competition is for IMRCEES. I generally got the feeling that, anyone who applied got an unconditional offer and the actual filtering would take place while evaluating scholarship apps

Hi Mit-bandi! It seems no one have received emails from the selection committee yet and we are still waiting for them.

The competitiveness of the program depends on the quality of applicants and funding allocation. As far as I know, last year about 10 cat A students received funding, including maybe 06 Asians (02 Kazakhs, 02 Indonesians, 02 Chineses). However, I ve noticed that other EMJM program offer less cat A scholarships this year in favor of special regional scholarship whose results will depend on the decisions of EC. Hope this helps!

I expect the preliminary results to be communicated to successful applicants within this week or the next one. Last year a student from Kazakhstan received her email on 05/03.

anyone with erasmus letters yet ... sick of refreshing my outlook page ever 40 mins

not yet, same here.... E-mailed them last week asking if they have a more precise date for announcing the results, this is what they answered:

Thank you for your message.   I appreciate that you are anxious to find out if you have been successful. Please be assured that we will contact you as soon as possible. I cannot be more precise at this stage.

ah .. damn. I can't believe I wasted an entire day worrying about these results. Anyway why do you want to do this programme. What kind of career are you looking out after the programme  

Still keeping my options open, but I would love to work for the EU Commission, Parliament, NATO, or national foreign ministry. I am highly interested in European security and Europeanisation of non-member states in general. Might even just continue with a Phd if I find funding. What about you?

not yet, same here.... E-mailed them last week asking if they have a more precise date for announcing the results, this is what they answered:

Thank you for your message.   I appreciate that you are anxious to find out if you have been successful. Please be assured that we will contact you as soon as possible. I cannot be more precise at this stage.

Hey mrcatuti, I think we're also on the forum about the MAPP program. Are these the only two grad schools you applied for? Which one are you leaning towards?

I'm also finding it pretty surprising that we found out in December if we were in, but the funding information doesn't come until March. For the MAPP program, we applied in January and found out in February!

Still keeping my options open, but I would love to work for the EU Commission, Parliament, NATO, or national foreign ministry. I am highly interested in European security and Europeanisation of non-member states in general. Might even just continue with a Phd if I find funding. What about you?

I am not too sure. I am an Indian so can't work for the European commission, European Parliament.. I hate 'government' in general so wont work for ministry of external affairs. I thought I'd do PHD and become an academic, but i was Teaching Assistant for a year and the job was bollocks. I do love writing though, I could probably become an analyst or find a way to combine legal skills and geo-politics. 

The only reason i applied for this programme is curiosity. Curious to learn how the east reconciles with the west

Hey mrcatuti, I think we're also on the forum about the MAPP program. Are these the only two grad schools you applied for? Which one are you leaning towards?

I'm also finding it pretty surprising that we found out in December if we were in, but the funding information doesn't come until March. For the MAPP program, we applied in January and found out in February!

Hey!

At the moment yes. I am in my final year of study and funding is going to be a great problem for me if I don't find a scholarship. MAPP and IMRCEES are the only ones I applied for so far, but I will probably also apply for other scholarship schemes in English universities. If I had to choose between the 2, I would definitely go for IMRCEES, because I am from Romania and I have a particular interest in the region. Also, it would result in obtaining 2 masters diplomas, second one hopefully in European Politics in Poland. If you also add the opportunity to learn Russian, for me it's quite a clear choice and I think it came across in my application, as I have spent far more time on the IMRCEES one. I am only waitlisted for scholarship for MAPP, and given that only 1 award was given to EU citizens, I have given up on that.

Hey!

At the moment yes. I am in my final year of study and funding is going to be a great problem for me if I don't find a scholarship. MAPP and IMRCEES are the only ones I applied for so far, but I will probably also apply for other scholarship schemes in English universities. If I had to choose between the 2, I would definitely go for IMRCEES, because I am from Romania and I have a particular interest in the region. Also, it would result in obtaining 2 masters diplomas, second one hopefully in European Politics in Poland. If you also add the opportunity to learn Russian, for me it's quite a clear choice and I think it came across in my application, as I have spent far more time on the IMRCEES one. I am only waitlisted for scholarship for MAPP, and given that only 1 award was given to EU citizens, I have given up on that.

Cool! I only applied to these two programs as well. I graduated a year ago, but I can't go to grad school without funding so I thought I'd apply to MAPP and IMRCEES because they looked interesting (they are going to be my "fun" grad programs! haha). If I didn't get funding, I was going to wait a year and apply to a more broad selection of universities the next year. However, it looks like I got funding for MAPP, but I haven't received an email, so we'll see what happens.

I'm torn between the two programs as my undergraduate thesis focused on central asia and eastern europe (Romania was actually one of my case studies!), and it give you two degrees, AND I had two friends who attended and really liked it...but MAPP is in two countries I really want to go to (and I'd love to work on my Spanish at IBEI), plus public policy is a broader program, that will help me apply for a variety of jobs.

Not sure! We'll see what happens with IMRCEES!

(by the way, which university did you go to in the UK?)

Cool! I only applied to these two programs as well. I graduated a year ago, but I can't go to grad school without funding so I thought I'd apply to MAPP and IMRCEES because they looked interesting (they are going to be my "fun" grad programs! haha). If I didn't get funding, I was going to wait a year and apply to a more broad selection of universities the next year. However, it looks like I got funding for MAPP, but I haven't received an email, so we'll see what happens.

I'm torn between the two programs as my undergraduate thesis focused on central asia and eastern europe (Romania was actually one of my case studies!), and it give you two degrees, AND I had two friends who attended and really liked it...but MAPP is in two countries I really want to go to (and I'd love to work on my Spanish at IBEI), plus public policy is a broader program, that will help me apply for a variety of jobs.

Not sure! We'll see what happens with IMRCEES!

(by the way, which university did you go to in the UK?)

University of Bristol, BSc Politics and Sociology, but I weighted my degree and have only been doing politics and IR in my final year

I got an email this morning and I'm on the reserve list for the scholarship. I likely will take my name off the list once I have an email confirming the results of Erasmus Mundus MAPP where the website indicates I got a scholarship. Good luck to everyone else!