Loans

daisydukes

It depends on your program. When you fill out FAFSA, the summer is included. You should check with your program; some programs only give grant aid in the summer if for some reason you have leftover from the regular academic year. If your program starts in the summer and you'll be fulltime, you should get aid but again, check with your school (or schools of interest). Good luck!

To redirect this topic, I've seen a lot about financial aid when it comes to master's and phd programs, but not so much about financial aid in the way of an MSW program. I know some of us are relying on at least a decent financial aid packet to help with the cost of tuition and living expenses, but it doesn't really seem there is that much funding out there beside the Title IV Stipend. Anyone out there been able to find out an average amount given for MSW programs without loans? Especially interested in the CSU's, as their tuition is already significantly lower so curious how much of a student's education they are willing to fund. Part of me thinks not much considering how many loan forgiveness programs there are in this field plus the Title IV Stipend. I think they stopped the Mental Health Stipend. 

To redirect this topic, I've seen a lot about financial aid when it comes to master's and phd programs, but not so much about financial aid in the way of an MSW program. I know some of us are relying on at least a decent financial aid packet to help with the cost of tuition and living expenses, but it doesn't really seem there is that much funding out there beside the Title IV Stipend. Anyone out there been able to find out an average amount given for MSW programs without loans? Especially interested in the CSU's, as their tuition is already significantly lower so curious how much of a student's education they are willing to fund. Part of me thinks not much considering how many loan forgiveness programs there are in this field plus the Title IV Stipend. I think they stopped the Mental Health Stipend. 

Can you elaborate on the Title IV stipend?  I'm not aware of what this program is.  Is this a national "program" that universities/departments adopt, or is this a California thing?

It depends on your program. When you fill out FAFSA, the summer is included. You should check with your program; some programs only give grant aid in the summer if for some reason you have leftover from the regular academic year. If your program starts in the summer and you'll be fulltime, you should get aid but again, check with your school (or schools of interest). Good luck!

Yes, they rollover funds from Fall/Spring into summer if students have not exhausted all of their funds, but if I didn't apply for financial aid (wasn't in school) last school year 2014-2015, I would think I would be able to get aid in the summer correct? 

@daisydukes hey I know it's off-topic (will delete later), but did you mail your app for CSULB on feb 9? or did you get a confirmation email on that day? I mailed mine around the same time and I don't even know if they received it :/ thanks.

Yes, they rollover funds from Fall/Spring into summer if students have not exhausted all of their funds, but if I didn't apply for financial aid (wasn't in school) last school year 2014-2015, I would think I would be able to get aid in the summer correct? 

I know in undergrad, at some universities they have financial aid specifically for summer session in which you can fill out forms through the school not through FAFSA and see if you qualify for any financial aid through them.

Can you elaborate on the Title IV stipend?  I'm not aware of what this program is.  Is this a national "program" that universities/departments adopt, or is this a California thing?

http://socialwork.sdsu.edu/stipend/msw.php 

This is through SDSU but it gives a good overview of what the stipend is about. It's basically available at all accredited MSW programs, at least the ones I've come across. Hope this helps.

I know in undergrad, at some universities they have financial aid specifically for summer session in which you can fill out forms through the school not through FAFSA and see if you qualify for any financial aid through them.

Hmm, I'll have to look into that. Thanks!

Edited by daisydukes

@daisydukes hey I know it's off-topic (will delete later), but did you mail your app for CSULB on feb 9? or did you get a confirmation email on that day? I mailed mine around the same time and I don't even know if they received it :/ thanks.

No I mailed it on Feb 7th, and it was received by them on the 9th. (I know this because I put tracking on it to know when it was delivered). I received an email by them the next day on the 10th, saying that it has been received, and letting me know that i can check the status through the self service website. I think you should have gotten a confirmation email by now though. You should call and check. 

Edited by daisydukes

Does Financial aid give loans for the summer? For example, if a MSW program starts in the summer. 

I'm going to assume you are asking because of the CSULB summer bridge program. If so, Lisa, the admissions director, called and told me the $3,500 will have to come out of pocket. I can't remember the exact words she used to why I wasn't getting any federal aid, but I do remembering thinking "the filing period has passed."If you aren't referring to CSULB summer bridge, then I would say call that specific school and ask, but from my knowledge, any financial aid for summer 2015 would have been awarded with the 2014-2015 award. Furthermore, I would say research scholarships. I know CSULB had plenty of them on their website.

I'm going to assume you are asking because of the CSULB summer bridge program. If so, Lisa, the admissions director, called and told me the $3,500 will have to come out of pocket. I can't remember the exact words she used to why I wasn't getting any federal aid, but I do remembering thinking "the filing period has passed."If you aren't referring to CSULB summer bridge, then I would say call that specific school and ask, but from my knowledge, any financial aid for summer 2015 would have been awarded with the 2014-2015 award. Furthermore, I would say research scholarships. I know CSULB had plenty of them on their website.

Yeah I was referring to LB's program. I called the school's fin aid office though and she said that there are summer loans available. I think the Direct Stafford Loan & The Graduate Plus Loan. She said I'd have to get the application from their office, but I'll also look  for scholarships as well.