Fulbright Affiliations?

hobakie

For those that applied how did you find or were introduced to an advisor to affiliate yourself with? I am not applying this season (goo luck to those who are :)) but sometime in the future I will. I want to apply for a public health related research/study grant in China ,but knowing the culture and people it is hard to just randomly email or call interesting professors/advisors and ask to be apart of their research without establishing some type of relationship first or being introduced by someone else. I plan on going to China this summer and next spring for language study and to do a different type of public health project so I figured I could try to establish some sort of relationship there. 

For anyone doing or applying for the research grants how did you find an advisor?

My former advisor knew a professor in the country I applied to (Georgia, so also not easy to find someone cold). I asked my former advisor if he minded that I email his contact over there and introduce myself as my advisor's former student, explain the process, and ask him for a recommendation. My former advisor agreed, I sent my email and my project statement, and the professor in Georgia wrote me my letter.

It's worth asking people you study with who they might know.

Edited by nodens