Not Our Turn Yet -- Fall 2016 and Beyond!

morlvera

I'll be applying for entry in the fall of 2016 so I'm just here gathering intel at the moment. It looks there are a few of us around so maybe we could chat a bit while we're waiting for our turn to be in the throes of application drama.

At this point, the only school I'm definitely applying to is Pitt. I'm a Pennsylvania resident and I haven't been too impressed by the other offerings in my state largely because of costs (dang Penn!) or location (where the heck is Kutztown?!). I've considered going out of state, but everywhere I'd want to go is really expensive. So Pitt it is for the moment. 

If I get in, I'd be a career changer. I don't have much in the way of social services experience, but this past year I started volunteering with an HIV/AIDS group and at a hospital. I'm not too worried about the lack of direct experience because I'm sure can show how my work in my current career and past experiences are relevant to what I want to do as a social worker.

Anyone else not so patiently waiting like I am?

I've had an account on these forums since 2012 knowing damn well I wouldn't be applying to grad school until Fall 2016 at the earliest. Nothing wrong with thinking ahead, I've always said. 

As my profile indicates, I'm mostly looking into dual degree programs merging social work (policy/research/community/macro focus) with public policy (social/family/poverty/inequality focus). Since earning an MPP has been my main focus, I wanted to get at least 2 years of relevant work experience under my belt before applying to schools. but I have about 3 years of volunteer experience as an undergrad that I plan to harp on in the MSW applications. I've had a list (read: Excel spreadsheet!) of schools for the past 3 years and I think I've finally narrowed it down to a reasonable amount: 5 MPP/MSW dual programs, and 1 (maybe 2?) MPP only program. For MSW programs I'm considering the Universities of: Michigan, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Washington.

As for location, I relocated right outta undergrad from Florida to DC for my job and have no qualms about relocating again. The DMV region is too damn expensive and I'd like to explore the country as much as possible while I'm not tied to anything in particular. 

hi! i'll also be applying this coming fall. i'm interested in macro level work with a policy focus and perhaps an international concentration. i work in social services now, but it's more clinical than macro. working in my current position is what made me shift from wanting a clinical degree to a macro one. i have a few schools that i'm definitely applying to: ut-austin, uconn, and upitt. i live near uconn and i think their program is amazing, so it's my first choice. however, i'm going down to texas in a few weeks to visit ut-austin to see if i could imagine myself there. as for pitt, the price is a little off-putting, but i'm planning on applying by the early deadline for guaranteed admission/scholarship. currently, i'm a graduating senior at a smaller state school in massachusetts, and i work full time doing outreach with adolescents and families. i'm trying to start volunteering with a local agency doing work with immigrants so i can have some experience for when i apply, but things are so busy with being a full time student and working full time. i'm already so anxious about applying and it's so far away!

Since 2012, RCtheSS?! I'm glad I only found this board last year. I can't even imagine what kind of mess I'd be if I'd stumbled upon it sooner. 

Like both of you, I've been pretty busy, which definitely helps keep me sane. It also makes feel my life isn't on hold until the application window for next fall opens. That said, I'm excited that at this time next year I'll likely know where I'm headed. 

And yeah, bquinn, Pitt is definitely not as inexpensive as I'd like. I'm also planning to apply early for guaranteed admission and the scholarship. I hope your visit to UT goes well! Definitely share your impressions of the place/program.

Since 2012, RCtheSS?! I'm glad I only found this board last year. I can't even imagine what kind of mess I'd be if I'd stumbled upon it sooner. 

Haha, I know. It's a great community to lurk on for such a long time, I've gained much insight into navigating the graduate world as a whole. 

The only looming application-related subject on my mind is obtaining letters of recommendation. I need to think about when to ask my current supervisor (which would also be a conversation letting her know my plan to leave the office next year), and the best way to contact my previous professors within their schedules. I feel bad since I'm applying to dual degree programs and the number of LORs I need doubles for each school.

LORs are on my mind a lot as well. I'd like to use my current supervisor because he'd definitely give me a great recommendation. However, I don't think it would be in my best interest to give that much notice about my plans. I definitely wouldn't get fired; it would just be really uncomfortable for far too long. I'm thinking I'll just use a past supervisor and/or supervisors from my volunteer work. I've been out of school for several years so I don't even think I'm going to go down that route unless absolutely necessary.  

Hey,  I'm applying this fall as well! I am thinking of applying to Pitt because of their auto acceptance thing, but for health reasons I can't live in a cold/snowy climate (I am suffering in New England right now...)

I am not nervous about the application process, but I hate asking for letters of recommendation. My school uses a dossier service, but none of the schools I am applying to allow me to use it. Which sucks, because I was planning to gather all my letters this spring and just have them all sent off in the fall.

I had the same problem with my undergrad school's dossier system as well, artsy16. I had been out of school for 2 years when I needed the letters for a program I was applying to. I just had the dossier letters sent to the original recommenders so they could refresh their memories of my awesomeness. They were able to just copy what they had originally written and add a few updates. It was definitely obnoxious though.

Pitt seems really unusual in having guaranteed admission and scholarships for those with a certain GPA. Do you all know of any other schools that have similar policies? I haven't seen any and I wonder why Pitt does it. Not that I'm complaining; it's great to already know that I'll be admitted if I apply.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had an account on these forums since 2012 knowing damn well I wouldn't be applying to grad school until Fall 2016 at the earliest. Nothing wrong with thinking ahead, I've always said. 

As my profile indicates, I'm mostly looking into dual degree programs merging social work (policy/research/community/macro focus) with public policy (social/family/poverty/inequality focus). Since earning an MPP has been my main focus, I wanted to get at least 2 years of relevant work experience under my belt before applying to schools. but I have about 3 years of volunteer experience as an undergrad that I plan to harp on in the MSW applications. I've had a list (read: Excel spreadsheet!) of schools for the past 3 years and I think I've finally narrowed it down to a reasonable amount: 5 MPP/MSW dual programs, and 1 (maybe 2?) MPP only program. For MSW programs I'm considering the Universities of: Michigan, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Washington.

As for location, I relocated right outta undergrad from Florida to DC for my job and have no qualms about relocating again. The DMV region is too damn expensive and I'd like to explore the country as much as possible while I'm not tied to anything in particular. 

We are very similar! I did UCPPIA and plan to get my MSW before applying for MPP programs (at least a year or two of working in the field with my MSW). 

Hi everyone!

I am so glad this post exists. I will be graduating this summer with a B.A. in Psychology, hopefully with a 3.5. I am primarily interested in doing  micro work. I have about two years of experience working in Harm Reduction in NYC (internship and later a part-time position as a program assistant) and recently started working as a youth advocate at a residential home for homeless youth. 

I am looking to relocate to Chicago for school. Right now I am looking at the University of Illinois at Chicago as my first choice. UChicago was my first choice but after giving it some thought and talking to a few people in the field, their price tag is a little scary considering how little money we will be making. I am still applying though. I am also looking at Loyola.

Btw, don't forget due dates are closer than they appear! September is only 6 months away.

We are very similar! I did UCPPIA and plan to get my MSW before applying for MPP programs (at least a year or two of working in the field with my MSW). 

I love seeing fellow PPIAers on this forum!

May I ask why you are interested in pursuing the MSW and then earning the MPP, versus a dual degree option?

Hey there, 

I'm planning on applying this upcoming fall 2015 for 2016 admittance. I'm in California and trying to decide where to apply between the various SoCal cal states schools (specifically, Dominguez Hills, LA, Long Beach, and possibly Northridge). I don't want to apply to all of them because I'm also applying to schools in Norcal and $$$$ but I'm having trouble deciding which ones to apply to. They're all so close to each other and similarly priced. Anyone have any insight on deciding between these schools?

I can't believe it's already April! This waiting thing is a little easier than I thought it would be. It helps that I've come up with about 50 new hobbies to occupy my time. In a few more months, I'll start working on my statement of purpose, updating my resume, etc. in preparation for asking for LORs later in the summer.

At this point, I'm only planning to apply to one school. I'm also seriously considering applying to their MSW/MPH program. Not all that excited about adding a lot more debt to my plate, but it would be significantly cheaper to get the MPH now versus later. For what I'm thinking about doing, it would definitely help to have an MPH in my pocket.

I only want to apply to one school too, but am too afraid to do that haha. I'll be applying to 3, which is scary for me. Does anyone know anything about Texas? That's my top destination.

Edited by artsy16

I was too afraid to consider only applying to a few schools, I want to ensure I get into a good school ASAP.

I am looking at schools on North Carolina since my fiancé and I want to move in together once he's out of the military. I've compiled a list of about 7 programs to apply to: 3 in Southern California and 3 in North Carolina, one online program.

Has anyone else had issues narrowing down choices or choosing between in state and out of state programs?

I was too afraid to consider only applying to a few schools, I want to ensure I get into a good school ASAP.

I am looking at schools on North Carolina since my fiancé and I want to move in together once he's out of the military. I've compiled a list of about 7 programs to apply to: 3 in Southern California and 3 in North Carolina, one online program.

Has anyone else had issues narrowing down choices or choosing between in state and out of state programs?

I'm stuck with staying in-state and not relocating. So I have only about 8 programs I can choose from. I have to fight to find a way to demonstrate I fit well with each of them!

I'm stuck with staying in-state and not relocating. So I have only about 8 programs I can choose from. I have to fight to find a way to demonstrate I fit well with each of them!

Are you going to apply to all 8 choices? Or are you attempting to narrow down those choices?

Edited by Dx44

Are you going to apply to all 8 choices? Or are you attempting to narrow down those choices?

I will definitely be applying to all 8 programs. Luckily, my research focus is a bit flexible within a department (ethical decision making) spans neuro/cognitive, social and clinical psychology. So really, I'm looking at research labs, and not the program specifics. But it's still tough with such a small list to work off of. 

HI I am in PA too.  I just moved here from NJ.  A year ago I graduated with my bachelors of science in psychology.  I just recently got into Widener University.  They have two campuses in PA and 1 in Delaware I believe (dont quote me lol).  I got accepted into their Masters of Social Work Program, I got my letter this past weekend

:-)  I dont have the luxury of not working full time while in graduate school, Thank God Widener University offers a full online MSW program. I live an hour away from their main campus in Chester PA ...and in my second year they have program managers that will help me get placed for my Field Work.  I am excited to get my career started. My classes start May 11 !!!

I currently go there :-P

They're about to get to start a Ph.D. in social work, if that's any consolation!

Ha! I now know where Kutztown is so there's that. I'm just not too keen on a lot of the schools in PA because it looks like I'd need to buy a car to get around to placements and whatnot. That's why I'm looking primarily at schools in Philly and Pitt. I currently live in the Philly area, but there are so many schools around here offering the MSW that I worry about competition for placements and jobs. 

I'm still considering going out of state. The price tag for doing so is anxiety inducing though. 

I'm still considering going out of state. The price tag for doing so is anxiety inducing though. 

Talk to the universities about graduate assistantships. You'd be surprised how many are actually available to masters students. It's not just a PhD thing. However, don't expect a living stipend. Just tuition waiver. 

• 4 months later...

I love seeing fellow PPIAers on this forum!

May I ask why you are interested in pursuing the MSW and then earning the MPP, versus a dual degree option?

Sorry for the late response!

I am still on the fence about earning the MPP, though I think it would complement the MSW well. I am looking into policy and management concentrations for the MSW and would like to get professional experience that would set me up to earn my MPP with an emphasis on social policy. 

Also, there aren't as many universities I love that equally amazing social work and public policy schools.