Got in. Now what?

So what happens after you get into the school you want and accept their offer?  I want all the information ASAP - I'm impatient! When do classes start? Is there an orientation I need to attend? What will my class schedule be like?

I'm juggling family vacation schedule with summer class schedule with my kids' daycare schedules. How soon after an acceptance do you actually get the rest of the information to start planning out the rest of my life (or next 2 years)? I've emailed the department twice now with no response, not even "we'll let you know in April" or something similar. Any idea what happens now?

So what happens after you get into the school you want and accept their offer?  I want all the information ASAP - I'm impatient! When do classes start? Is there an orientation I need to attend? What will my class schedule be like?

I'm juggling family vacation schedule with summer class schedule with my kids' daycare schedules. How soon after an acceptance do you actually get the rest of the information to start planning out the rest of my life (or next 2 years)? I've emailed the department twice now with no response, not even "we'll let you know in April" or something similar. Any idea what happens now?

I'm in a different field so this may not apply, but I didn't receive any information until July.  That's probably not the answer you were looking for.

Have you checked to see if they have the graduate handbook online?  I skimmed through that while I was waiting and most documents they offered on the graduate studies website. 

Hi!

I'm not sure, but could you please withdraw your apps from towson and gallaudet? That way those of us who may be waitlisted can get in off the waitlist? 

Thanks!

I'm confused.  Her profile does not indicate that she was admitted (just applied) so even if she withdrew her apps, that wouldn't get you off the waitlist. 

If someone accepts a school (pays deposit etc), should he or she automatically withdraw the other applications?

Also, MonicaSLP - Congrats!! It must be a great feeling knowing where you're headed :) I definitely agree with the above poster to see if they have an online handbook you can browse while you wait. It could be that the department isn't moving forward yet, considering most schools have til April 15th for accepted students to respond to offers, then they have to go through the wait list process, etc.

Maybe try connecting with a current graduate student to get some info as well. They could be a valuable resource too!

If you know where you are going, and have accepted, is there a reason you would want to keep your applications to the other schools? I know if I am accepted into my other schools, once I have officially accepted and paid my deposit, I will withdraw my applications from other schools. It might save someone the anxiety of being on a wait list is my thought. :)

I also echo that talking to a current graduate school could provide some insight into the upcoming schedule. Congrats on your acceptance!

When my husband was accepted by the department (this was a CSDCAS app), he was then instructed to apply to the graduate school as a formality. So that meant another wait while we paid for the app fee and all his transcripts to be sent yet again and admission to eventually be granted. He was eventually given a list of the classes he was supposed to sign up for, I believe around May. He didn't get the department handbook until late June/early July. There was an orientation the week before classes were supposed to start. A lot of the information trickled out to him over the course of a couple months. Since all the classes he's supposed to take are only offered once a year and nobody gets the option of taking different classes than the rest of the cohort, there was no rush to get that information out so that people could register ASAP.

Thanks all. My school has not yet taken a deposit, so I'm not messing with any of the other applications until I have signed off on this in a more permanent way than just clicking "I plan to attend"! And I haven't heard from any of the other schools yet anyway, so it's not yet messing with anyone else's status. I was waitlisted last year, so I know better than to make anyone suffer ;)

I found the handbook - thanks for that suggestion - but it doesn't give me ideas of dates. I just find it odd that the school hasn't gotten back to me - I know it's the right contact person, and they have previously been very good about answering my questions. Just another edition of the waiting game, I guess. Not the worst problem to have, but annoying.

If someone accepts a school (pays deposit etc), should he or she automatically withdraw the other applications?

Yes; if you have accepted an offer at one school and paid your deposit to guarentee your seat, it is professionally proper to notify  the other schools that you have accepted an offer somewhere else so that they can move on to other applicants. Granted, this is much more important step for applicants who have been made offers at other institutions because at that point you are actually holding a slot someone else could have, which does not seem to be the case for the OP. It is still considered polite, however.

As for the OP; I'd give them a little time. They may not be responding because they will be sending that info to everyone at once after the class has been confirmed. I would look on their site for any info about how to secure your seat.

Edited by Allegro8032

I remember it being a couple months after an acceptance that any new information was given.  You have to remember that these people are professors and faculty and are teaching classes and have families on top of that.  Expect to wait until june/july to hear any more info about classes etc.  

Got in now what? Step1) CELEBRATTTTTEEE!!!!!!!! Step2) plan the rest of life.

So maybe not that helpful of advice hehe. but congrats!

He he...when I first read the title my initial thought was: Paaaaarrrrrttaaaaayyyy!  lol

Edited by geographyrocks