Ever met someone famous?

Kleio_77

I am experiencing extreme anxiety right now, I thought I'd start a fun and irrelevant thread, where we could mention some celebrity run-ins, or even awesome academics who we have met. 

I won a meet and greet when I was younger with the Black Eyed Peas, I am not a big fan, but Fergie was super sweet and I loved meeting her. :)

1. Shook hands with rapper Lupe Fiasco
  2. Met and talked to comedian/actor Keegan-Michael Key
  3. Singer Ne-Yo performed at my high school once
  4. Met my state's governor at a Race for the Cure event

That's about all I can think of right now...

1. Shook hands with rapper Lupe Fiasco
  2. Met and talked to comedian/actor Keegan-Michael Key
  3. Singer Ne-Yo performed at my high school once
  4. Met my state's governor at a Race for the Cure event

That's about all I can think of right now...

I love Ne-Yo, that is impressive! 

as a waiter, I once waited on Mercedes Ruehl (from Frasier, the Fisher King, etc). 

as a journalist, i met Al Roker, Kate Pierson (of the B-52s), Frank Serpico, Eliot Spitzer, Hilary Clinton, Kirsten Gillibrand, and a few other politician-types (oh, and several times talked to Chuck Schumer on the phone, if that counts).

While I was in art restoration, I met Al Roker and Jack Cannon (an old TV actor).

In chance meetings, i have met Neil Gaiman and Amanda Palmer at my local bookstore, and actor John Shea (Lex Luther on 'Lois and Clark') at an Irish bar in NYC.
In other chance meetings, I encountered (but did not actually 'meet') George Pataki, Al Sharpton, kd lang, Amanda Plumber, William Devane, Chris Jansing (NBC news), and Senator Paul Simon.

at comic book conventions, I have met Margot Kidder, Richard Hatch (original BSG), and tons of semi-famous comics people. 

I once had dinner with scifi author Poul Anderson, before I knew who he was (I still have never read any of his works, I confess). 

Added: Oh, and Adam West! how could I forget Adam West!?

Edited by Henry Hudson

I met Hayley Williams of Paramore and she said that I had a pretty smile. That was really cool. 

Oh, and Margaret Atwood replied to one of my tweets. (Though, alas, I have never met her though I have heard her talk live.)

I'm a history student, but I worked for an English professor, and I had to write biographies on Canadian writers.... I had to email amazing Canadian writers quite often... and pretty much interview them over email... it was very weird. Weird in that I actually had access to their emails.... Haha. 

I interviewed Nardwuar via phone. It was a very, very intimidating experience (on my end, since he's the king of all interviewers) but he was so sweet and reassuring and answered all my dumb questions unsarcastically and sincerely. Great guy!

- When I was 14, I met the Kinley sisters when they did a CD signing at Walmart. I don't even remember what they sang, but they were a country duo.

- I definitely met a more famous country singer when I was 12 when I went to Nashville with my parents. I can't remember who it was, but it was at a taping of the Wild Horse Saloon that used to be on CMT way back when. I'm sure we have the episode on tape somewhere. Maybe if I'm feeling bored, I'll dig around for it.

- I worked at a Quiznos for several years and made subs for Matt Hardy of the Hardy Boyz on several occasions.

- I met Switchfoot and Relient K at a show and they all signed my t-shirt.

- I met the singer from Five Iron Frenzy after I had just had a dirt fight with my best friend (and thus was coated with dirt) and we both gave him a big, dirty hug.

- I met wildlife biologist Gary Alt at a conference.

Some people in my life who had interesting experiences with famous people:

- My mother-in-law dated the drummer from Blue Oyster Cult.

- One of my professors saved Roger Tory Peterson from drowning.

- The same professor taught high school biology while working on his PhD and taught at Jeffrey Dahmer's school. He had a few conversations with him, too.

- My friend grabbed Taylor Hanson's crotch at a show

- My sister grabbed Keith Urban's butt at a meet-and-greet

- My friend's husband recently met Anne Hathaway at an air force base while she was researching for an upcoming role

I went to the same HS as Ed Norton, (graduated with his sister), and met him a number of times. Also Linda Tripp was a regular at the restaurant I worked at. I also worked security for a music venue, and met/spent time with a number of major stars as part of that job.

I'm not a person who gets all fanatic/"oh my gosh, it's a famous person." But. One time, I was visiting Stratford, and John Lithgow was playing Falstaff, I believe, in 12th Night. We stayed after and were able to meet and grab a picture of him. ^^ It was really neat. :-)

I started a list when I began attending my undergrad university. Most of the people I have met are athletes, but a few of them are actors or musicians. Here are the highlights from the list in no particular order

Athletes: Floyd Mayweather, Jerry West, Kareem Abdul Jabaar, Reggie Miller, Bill Walton, Blake Griffin, Kevin Love, Ricky Rubio, Phil Jackson, Gary Payton, and Chris Paul

Actors: Jaleel White (Steve Urkel), Cedric the Entertainer, Andy Dick, Vince Vaughn, Owen Wilson, Demitri Martin, Freddy Prinze Jr., Mark Wahlberg, John Lithgow, Taylor Lautner, Mayim Bialik, Andy Garcia, Tommy Chong, Angie Harmon, and James Franco. 

Edited by Mr. Impatiently Waiting

One time Chester Bennington from Linkin Park shook my hand in the middle of a song.

Also, in 2009 during Lady Gaga's first major US tour, my dad ran into her at a Dunkin Donuts at 5 am.  He had no idea who she was, and said "good luck at your show tonight" with a hint of sarcasm.  Needless to say, I put him in his place about who he had actually met.  My exact words, I think, were "come on dad, she's the one who wore the meat suit!!!"

I've met many famous people. Obama and Bill Clinton. Bill Maher. Mel Gibson, Kate Beckinsale, Tim Robbins. Kobe Bryant, Shaq, Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom.

I lived in LA/Santa Monica for 18 years, so it happens.  

This isn't even fair. Meeting someone famous when you live in the far north of Canada is a huge deal... Unless it is an NHL player. LOL. 

Not sure if anyone watches Graceland, but my aunty was friends with Brandon Jay McLaren's parents, and as a much younger toddler in comparison to him, I supposedly beat him up... 

My mom said he was really nice and I was a toddler experiencing the terrible two's... 

I accidentally met David Sedaris after he spoke at my university. I was trying to find a shortcut out of the building after the event, through some basement tunnels, and I ran into him...pretty sure the other people with him thought I was in his group, and I just played along for a bit...