Ever met someone famous?

Kleio_77

I don't ever meet super-famous people.  But, I've met a few mildly (or academically) famous ones.  Dr. Ben Carson (quick, 2-second chat), Lily Aldrich (VS model, stood near her at an event) and when I was in middle school, Charles Oakley (then-starter for the NY Knicks...I was star-struck, ran over to him and asked for his autograph).  

I've met some band members before and after events to snag pictures, but for someone I've actually met, talked to, and knows my name: Victor Raider-Wexler (the actor who plays the landlord who evicts Will Smith in "The Pursuit of Happyness"). Not the most famous, but he's been in a bunch of random stuff. I taught both of his daughters and met with him for parent-teacher conferences. After I no longer had his kids, he'd still stop and say hi to me when he came for conferences with other teachers.

siegel_dr_1.jpgMV5BMTkwMjg3NDIyN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDE0

Now this is a story I want to hear.

He was in Brookline for a book tour (his autobiography that came out recently). Got a signed copy, chatted with him a bit. Not the most exciting story but still really awesome! He was really funny, plus he showed me pictures of his kids.

• 4 weeks later...

At my former grad program here in Boston, I had the chance to meet a lot of "famous" people who were attending events at the University. It was informative to be able to meet these kind of people mostly from the arts who could be more informal and relaxed in the setting of the University. A lot of them were coming back for different kinds of alumni functions. It made you realize how much of a halo surrounds these people in public life. I came to graduate school somewhat later in life, I'm 37, and I think it helped to be a little older and not so struck with their star power. 

He was in Brookline for a book tour (his autobiography that came out recently). Got a signed copy, chatted with him a bit. Not the most exciting story but still really awesome! He was really funny, plus he showed me pictures of his kids.

That's awesome! It sounds like it was very down-to-earth, which is kind of cool. Thanks for sharing!

• 4 weeks later...

ennis haywood (if that counts). i was his neighbor when he played at isu. gave us a poster of the season calendar with him in it. we were new to america so had no idea who he was until we saw his wife crying on tv after he died 

saw a lot of ex pro cyclists in the races in texas, but don't really know any of them. a bunch of them are in austin, but the big shots are busy traveling. there's a guy riding with bissell that i see in the driveway series from time to time. still haven't seen kellen winslow yet though. gives me great ego that I'm faster than an ex nfl player on a bike

Edited by spectastic

• 2 weeks later...

I've met two of my favorite singers, though it's unlikely anyone here has heard of them since they sing in French and are mostly famous only in Québec.  But one is Bruno Pelletier, whom I've met four times after/before his performances.  The other is Gabrielle Destroismaisons; she was doing group vocal coaching, so I was able to spend three hours with her and two others.  'Twas awesome.

Another singer I've met is Hana Pestle (although I think she's just going by her first name now) when she came to my university to perform.  At the time she was dating Ben Moody, one of the founders of Evanescence, but I was too shy to say anything, so I just kind of... stared.  Awkwardly.

I rang up Robin Williams several years ago at a bookstore. I took him I was a huge fan, and he nervously smiled in return. After he walked away, I immediately regretted not telling him how much comfort Mrs. Doubtfire gave me as a child.

• 1 year later...

I've met and played Rock Band and Just Dance with Felicia Day (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Supernatural, The Guild, Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog) on Twitch.

I've also met Mitch Gitelman (one of the creators of the Shadowrun games and founder of Harebrained Schemes game company).

Oh, also the bands Chicago and Tower of Power. I'm a trombone player so I've had some good conversations with their horn sections.

Other than that I think it's been mostly minor things. J. August Richards and I had a twitter conversation, I'm friends with a few decently known youtube vloggers, Wil Wheaton has replied to one of my articles, Wizards of the Coast sharing my work, etc. 

21 hours ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

I've met and played Rock Band and Just Dance with Felicia Day (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Supernatural, The Guild, Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog) on Twitch.

I've also met Mitch Gitelman (one of the creators of the Shadowrun games and founder of Harebrained Schemes game company).

Oh, also the bands Chicago and Tower of Power. I'm a trombone player so I've had some good conversations with their horn sections.

Other than that I think it's been mostly minor things. J. August Richards and I had a twitter conversation, I'm friends with a few decently known youtube vloggers, Wil Wheaton has replied to one of my articles, Wizards of the Coast sharing my work, etc. 

Wow that's great i have read about Felicia Day on earn the necklace, she is just superb B)

I've had quite a number of celebrity encounters.  Since yesterday was the Super Bowl, time to drop a relevant name!  I met Tom Brady once. Had no clue who he was; Giselle was there too, but I didn't talk to her.

George Lopez has really sweet and polite kids.

I'd be ok not meeting Kobe Bryant again. 

Travis Barker is super nice and appreciates his fans.

Met one of the Wayans brothers, who was really nice.

Hands down my favorite was when Rebel Wilson asked how I was and then said "cheers." 

I've met Brittany Howard from Alabama Shakes. She came into my work place, and I was lucky enough to be the one taking her order. She seemed really uncomfortable that I recognized her--I had just seen her in concert a day or two prior--even though I was totally chill about it and didn't ask for a picture or autograph or anything. She wasn't unfriendly or anything, but you could just tell she wished I hadn't recognized her.

I also met Michelle Branch when she opened for the Goo Goo Dolls in 2011. She was super friendly, but she probably didn't think I was particularly nice because I was super anxious and awkward. :rolleyes:

My friends and I ran into Jim O'Heir on the Mag Mile once when we were in downtown Chicago. It was a total double-take moment of, "That looks like Jerry from Parks and Rec..." to, "That is Jerry from Parks and Rec!" No one else around us seemed to recognize him...

Edited by marcaskane

• 2 weeks later...