Wait for other university or just accept?

Karoku_valentine

Hi,

I applied to 12 universities, and up to this point I have received 4 admissions (no idea about the other eight, it could be a combination of rejections and admissions), two of them funded. I recently went to Ohio State to visit the Department of Statistics, and I really liked the school, I even got VERY excited about attending. Ohio State and Iowa State are my top choices, but I have received no reply from Iowa State.

Originally, I contacted the head of the department and he told me that I would be a competitive candidate for their program, but that he could not guarantee anything. Therefore I applied to their program.

Before visiting OSU, I had been thinking that in case I was admitted to Iowa, I would go to Iowa. However, I changed my mind, and now I think that regardless of the offer I get from Iowa, I will choose OSU (right now I even declined the funded offer from South Carolina saying I was going to OSU). I already signed the offer, but I have not submitted it yet. Somehow, I feel I should wait a little more to see if I was admitted to Iowa S, but I think I will not attend that school regardless of the offer.

Anyway, should I accept the offer or wait until I receive information from Iowa?

Thank you.

If you know (with reasonable certainty) that you will attend OSU and no other school, regardless of their program or their offer, then the right thing to do is to withdraw all your applications and accept the OSU offer now. Why drag it out longer? Also, this will help the community in the sense that the committee can stop thinking about your application and make decisions on other people faster. Actions like this benefit academics everywhere -- including you (in future years, when you are at OSU, you would appreciate people already deciding not to attend OSU to withdraw their applications, so that you and the faculty there do not waste time on these candidates).

But if you are still considering some of these schools, then don't accept OSU yet and wait to hear from the schools you are still considering. Withdraw applications only when you are certain you do not want to attend that school. 

I'm in a similar situation, so I understand how stressful it can be wondering if you're making the right choice. But I think it comes down to this: if you can't see yourself going anywhere but OSU, then you should accept OSU and inform the rest that you're out of the running for them. But if there is another school(s) that you might choose over OSU, then I say wait. But from what it sounds from your post, you wouldn't attend Iowa S. even if they gave you an offer. So I think your decision is made. It's just the finality of the commitment that is so nerve wracking, I know. 

I think that if you are sure that you will go to Ohio State, then you should go ahead and accept their offer and notify your schools. It's helpful to you to settle your mind, for the program to take the next steps and for you to take the next steps in enrollment, and it helps schools that might be waiting on your choice to inform other students. It's beneficial for everyone. However, if you are accepting because it's a guaranteed offer and you still maybe want to go to Iowa, I would wait. This is just my opinion. I completely understand how stressful the process is, and I think in the end you will make a decision that is good for you.

If you know (with reasonable certainty) that you will attend OSU and no other school, regardless of their program or their offer, then the right thing to do is to withdraw all your applications and accept the OSU offer now. Why drag it out longer? Also, this will help the community in the sense that the committee can stop thinking about your application and make decisions on other people faster. Actions like this benefit academics everywhere -- including you (in future years, when you are at OSU, you would appreciate people already deciding not to attend OSU to withdraw their applications, so that you and the faculty there do not waste time on these candidates).

But if you are still considering some of these schools, then don't accept OSU yet and wait to hear from the schools you are still considering. Withdraw applications only when you are certain you do not want to attend that school. 

Thanks everyone for your kind responses.  I have a question. By withdrawing, you mean that I should email the other schools, regardless if they have not contacted me yet, and tell them that I am not going to their programs? I have already told the other three that I am not accepting their admission, but I have not contacted the others since they have not contacted me either.

Thanks everyone for your kind responses.  I have a question. By withdrawing, you mean that I should email the other schools, regardless if they have not contacted me yet, and tell them that I am not going to their programs? I have already told the other three that I am not accepting their admission, but I have not contacted the others since they have not contacted me either.

Yes, if you are 100% certain that you will not attend their school, you should do this and withdraw your application.

This is somewhat related, I know that if accepted to one program, I will not go to a school that offered me admission. How unprofessional/inappropriate is it to decline an offer of admission if you have already signed the letter? (I haven't, I just want to know if you can later say no, like in undergrad- pay a deposit but not attend)

This is somewhat related, I know that if accepted to one program, I will not go to a school that offered me admission. How unprofessional/inappropriate is it to decline an offer of admission if you have already signed the letter? (I haven't, I just want to know if you can later say no, like in undergrad- pay a deposit but not attend)

Saying no to School A after you have already signed School A's letter?

I think this is probably a bad idea. If the timing of the two offers allows you to wait and hear from School B before you make anything official, I highly recommend waiting.

edit - Seeing some of your other comments, I understand there is a timing issue. ): Hopefully someone with more understand can give you better feedback in that case!

Edited by babybird